Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor dog being an ass in mornings, what can I do?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

If you had a dog would you leave your dog barking all morning?

How is that actually relevant to the situation at hand? Are we back to the "reasonable people dont leave dogs barking all morning, unreasonable people are aggressive tyre slashers therefore people who leave their dogs barking are aggressive tyre slashers" thing again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

If you had a dog would you leave your dog barking all morning?

Could be that they work late and are soundly asleep at 6am when the dog's barking is waking the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    How is that actually relevant to the situation at hand? Are we back to the "reasonable people dont leave dogs barking all morning, unreasonable people are aggressive tyre slashers therefore people who leave their dogs barking are aggressive tyre slashers" thing again?

"Just ask yourself what would get the most positive response if it was you:"
    Thats how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Just because someone is not a tyre slasher does not mean they are not being unreasonable and inconsiderate.

Just because someone is not a tyre slasher does not mean they are not being unreasonable and inconsiderate.

So late in the day for verbal gymnastics :) I dont really know what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

So late in the day for verbal gymnastics :) I dont really know what you mean.

Your're left resorting to that ?

"Just ask yourself what would get the most positive response if it was you:"
    Thats how

If it were my dog? Well it wouldnt be, but if it were...I would prefer that the annoyed neighbour talked to me rather than going over my head straight to management or council or police or whatever. I thought that was obvious. No matter.

Your're left resorting to that ?

I'm not "resorting" to anything, I simply dont know what that sentence means (or, rather, what point it is meant to get across) - is that ok with you?? Or does everything have to have an inherent "dig" in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I am directly affected by no fewer than 7 barking dogs in 4 neighbouring houses at the back of me. It starts everyday at about 7.30am. There are also some others within earshot but are far enough away so as not to be directly affected by them. I have complained (nicely) to the two closest neighbours but it had little or no affect (although one is making a bit of an effort after I complained a second time). If anything because of all the other dogs joining in, it's got worse. I know other neighbours are also affected but choose not to be confrontational. I cant enjoy my back garden anymore. My OH works from home and sometimes finds it impossible to be on the phone with the door/window open. My neighbours are all professional people, not scumbags. They don't really acknowledge me anymore whereas before we would have been friendly. I'm pretty sure I'm now the narky neighbour over the fence. Our houses are large 4 and 5 bed detached houses. I'd move tomorrow in a heartbeat if I could. It's a sh1thole.

If it were my dog? Well it wouldnt be, but if it were...I would prefer that the annoyed neighbour talked to me rather than going over my head straight to management or council or police or whatever. I thought that was obvious. No matter.

I can see what your saying and that's kind of the point I'm making. I would say on balance that a person like yourself who wouldn't let their dog bark, would likely respond well to the direct approach.

• Advertisement

I can see what your saying and that's kind of the point I'm making. I would say on balance that a person like yourself who wouldn't let their dog bark, would likely respond well to the direct approach.

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are unreasonable people in all walks of life and who constitute different types of owners. Just because someone lets their dog bark does not mean the OH needs to feel to afraid to approach them. Letting your dog bark and being aggressive do not necessarily go hand in hand. That seems to be the underlying implication in all these posts.

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are unreasonable people in all walks of life and who constitute different types of owners. Just because someone lets their dog bark does not mean the OH needs to feel to afraid to approach them. Letting your dog bark and being aggressive do not necessarily go hand in hand. That seems to be the underlying implication in all these posts.

Agreed they do not go hand in hand. My point is that is it worth the risk to assume so in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

I posted this before, might be a non confrontational solution.

Try getting a dog whistle.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Was renting a bedroom at the back of a terraced house facing the back of another row of terraced houses. On occasion a dog used bark at night in a back garden of the opposite row of houses, maybe twice a week, not every night. The problem was not as bad as OP, definitely not worth searching for owner/house.

Anyway I bought a dog whistle on ebay. Every single time the dog barked I would open my window and blow the whistle as hard as I could for about 60 seconds. The barking would always stop straightaway. I did this maybe 6 times over about 10 days and the problem stopped. I presume that the dog was “trained”, i.e. Barking At Night = Loud Whistle. It could have been a coincidence too though.

It may be worth a try for the sake of <€10.

Agreed they do not go hand in hand. My point is that is it worth the risk to assume so in this case.

For me? Yes. For others? No. For OP? Up to him/her.

I posted this before, might be a non confrontational solution.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Was renting a bedroom at the back of a terraced house facing the back of another row of terraced houses. On occasion a dog used bark at night in a back garden of the opposite row of houses, maybe twice a week, not every night. The problem was not as bad as OP, definitely not worth searching for owner/house.

Anyway I bought a dog whistle on ebay. Every single time the dog barked I would open my window and blow the whistle as hard as I could for about 60 seconds. The barking would always stop straightaway. I did this maybe 6 times over about 10 days and the problem stopped. I presume that the dog was “trained”, i.e. Barking At Night = Loud Whistle. It could have been a coincidence too though.

It may be worth a try for the sake of <€10.

Nice idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Just letting everyone know, apparently Garda did raid today on that specific apartment, house is now sealed off and under investigation. Garda are feeding and giving dog water and I guess now it will be taken somewhere (hopefully good place).

Guess morale of story is - never know who your neighbors can be, guess that shows why dog was barking constantly (bad living conditions).

Anyone know what will happen to the pet now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

arleitiss wrote: »
    Just letting everyone know, apparently Garda did raid today on that specific apartment, house is now sealed off and under investigation. Garda are feeding and giving dog water and I guess now it will be taken somewhere (hopefully good place).

Guess morale of story is - never know who your neighbors can be, guess that shows why dog was barking constantly (bad living conditions).

Anyone know what will happen to the pet now?

Most likely it will be put down if no one claims it in five days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Every single time the dog barked I would open my window and blow the whistle as hard as I could for about 60 seconds.
    Some pair of lungs on you!

So, it turn out that - surprise, surprise (? eh, no...) to all the namby-pamby innocents abroad posters in this thread who said, inter alia,

"Speak to your neighbour", blah, blah, blah

"I am a light sleeper, " (your honour, sir) and I would be humbly in your debt for evermore if you could kindly see your way to...

Look, if it walks like a duck etc. then it probably is a duck.

A person who (without a very, very, very good reason) confines a dog to a back garden 24/7 does not give a toss about his/her neighbours - full stop.
    They will not be reasonable if approached, even by someone in authority. The poor sap from next door or a couple of doors away who tries to make a personal approach will more than likely be subjected to all kinds of abuse as a result. Dead cat (as said above), eyes gouged out - that is a special message. Everything else goes - verbal abuse, property damage, slander, victimisation of relatives/friends.

The advice given here to not approach the neighbour and instead to use official channels was correct, imo - even if, let us say, that by some remote chance the dog owner was an invalid living alone who could not really do any more for their dog than put food and water outside on a regular basis.

It doesn't matter! Let whichever person in authority (management company, council, AGS, DSPCA etc.) make the approach.

tl/dr Too many threads / news reports that go as follows:

Hi, sorry to bother you, but your dog / children kicking a football against my wall / very loud music are disturbing me, and I just wond-

Listen, if you don't fcuk off right now I will make your life hell! In fact, I probably will! Do you have a fire extinguisher? Is that your car? I know where your mother lives - how is she these days?

Lots of expletives omitted from the above paragraph. Probably 5-10 choice ones at least...

Quality earplugs OK (not viable, probably, depending on number of residents in affected dwelling).

Dog whistle good (60 second blow probably bad), but someone has to get up and blow it - night's sleep probably wrecked anyway; although if it becomes effective in a reasonable amount of time... Same goes for supersoakers, although the nozzle can get blocked easily -a modicum of vinegar helps to prevent this. Some dogs love crunching on ice cubes.

Approved elctronic device that dissuades dog from undesired behaviour, better.

Reporting to relevant authority, with no prior contact with said 'neighbour', is probably the best general advice.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Some pair of lungs on you!

So, it turn out that - surprise, surprise (? eh, no...) to all the namby-pamby innocents abroad posters in this thread who said, inter alia,

"Speak to your neighbour", blah, blah, blah

"I am a light sleeper, " (your honour, sir) and I would be humbly in your debt for evermore if you could kindly see your way to...

Look, if it walks like a duck etc. then it probably is a duck.

A person who (without a very, very, very good reason) confines a dog to a back garden 24/7 does not give a toss about his/her neighbours - full stop.
    They will not be reasonable if approached, even by someone in authority. The poor sap from next door or a couple of doors away who tries to make a personal approach will more than likely be subjected to all kinds of abuse as a result. Dead cat (as said above), eyes gouged out - that is a special message. Everything else goes - verbal abuse, property damage, slander, victimisation of relatives/friends.

The advice given here to not approach the neighbour and instead to use official channels was correct, imo - even if, let us say, that by some remote chance the dog owner was an invalid living alone who could not really do any more for their dog than put food and water outside on a regular basis.

It doesn't matter! Let whichever person in authority (management company, council, AGS, DSPCA etc.) make the approach.

tl/dr Too many threads / news reports that go as follows:

Hi, sorry to bother you, but your dog / children kicking a football against my wall / very loud music are disturbing me, and I just wond-

Listen, if you don't fcuk off right now I will make your life hell! In fact, I probably will! Do you have a fire extinguisher? Is that your car? I know where your mother lives - how is she these days?

Lots of expletives omitted from the above paragraph. Probably 5-10 choice ones at least...

Quality earplugs OK (not viable, probably, depending on number of residents in affected dwelling).

Dog whistle good (60 second blow probably bad), but someone has to get up and blow it - night's sleep probably wrecked anyway; although if it becomes effective in a reasonable amount of time... Same goes for supersoakers, although the nozzle can get blocked easily -a modicum of vinegar helps to prevent this. Some dogs love crunching on ice cubes.

Approved elctronic device that dissuades dog from undesired behaviour, better.

Reporting to relevant authority, with no prior contact with said 'neighbour', is probably the best general advice.

And I thought this thread had reached completion. Sometimes it's enough to win the battle. You don't have to sing a song about it too

And I thought this thread had reached completion. Sometimes it's enough to win the battle. You don't have to sing a song about it too
    Hey, I just put lyrics to the tune you were humming. :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Having same problem with dog over the wall in a different estate, every day off it start will stop for an hour then starts up again. It will run back and forth barking at anything including if i am in the the garden, the bin men are on our estate, a bird farting, etc. I've called them on the phone (afraid i will loose it if i come face to face with them ) and all i got was oh I didnt know, its gotten to the stage I go out and shout shut up where might shut up for a bit. Last few days the language is getting more colourful as I'm loosing the will to live.
    This was recorded on a dictaphone while sitting at the computer i tried it will windows open and closed but as the house has air vents the noise levels are the same. I cant afford to go through the courts so have send messages to the council via twitter and Facebook looking for some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

spookwoman wrote: »
    Having same problem with dog over the wall in a different estate, every day off it start will stop for an hour then starts up again. It will run back and forth barking at anything including if i am in the the garden, the bin men are on our estate, a bird farting, etc. I've called them on the phone (afraid i will loose it if i come face to face with them ) and all i got was oh I didnt know, its gotten to the stage I go out and shout shut up where might shut up for a bit. Last few days the language is getting more colourful as I'm loosing the will to live.
    This was recorded on a dictaphone while sitting at the computer i tried it will windows open and closed but as the house has air vents the noise levels are the same. I cant afford to go through the courts so have send messages to the council via twitter and Facebook looking for some advice.

I have exactly what you describe except with seven dogs in four different houses. We had guests staying at the w/end and they couldn't believe the racket. I rang the dog warden for advice and was told the only option is to go to court ( it might be different for a local authority estate). You must first inform your neighbour of your intentions. You fill in a Form 5 (I think) and bring it straight to the district court clerk. It helps if you have some letters from other neighbours to back up your claim. The case is called at the next sitting where your neighbours will be asked for their side of the story. If your story is backed up by other neighbours the judge will make his recommendations. If your neighbours fail to make any improvements, you will need to go back to court where the judge will make a confiscation order on the dog/s. My problem would be which one of the fuggers do I start with. I'm not really sure it's a road I want to go down, not just yet anyway.
    I can't understand why anyone would want a dog and call themselves animal lovers and then fcuk off to work for the day and leave the poor thing in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Thats the thing getting others to back you up they are in work all day and dont have to listen to it. People should not have to go through so much trouble to complain about a dog. feck sake if someone is making noise eg jackhammer going all the time they sort it out so how is a dog any different its all noise

spookwoman wrote: »
    I cant afford to go through the courts so have send messages to the council via twitter and Facebook looking for some advice.
    It would be much better to write to the council. They have to pay attention to written communication. E-mail, facebook, twitter etc. probably much less so.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement