If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Soundbar?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a Philips 40PFL8605H TV that i bouht off yourselvesg and I'm looking to find a decent soundbar to connect to it. Its going to be wall mounted. I currently have a Sky+ box, apple tv and dvd player connected to the TV. Im also looking for it to have bluetooth and wifi. An FM tuner would be nice but not essential as I can work around that. I havent had a soundbar before so Im just looking for advice as to the following:
    1. Soundbar suggestions
    2. advice on connections/ add-ons necessary

Thanks

Meant to say Im looking for something in the 200-300 euro price range....

user_online.pngreport.gif
    progress.gif

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

forestman wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a Philips 40PFL8605H TV that i bouht off yourselvesg and I'm looking to find a decent soundbar to connect to it. Its going to be wall mounted. I currently have a Sky+ box, apple tv and dvd player connected to the TV. Im also looking for it to have bluetooth and wifi. An FM tuner would be nice but not essential as I can work around that. I havent had a soundbar before so Im just looking for advice as to the following:
    1. Soundbar suggestions
    2. advice on connections/ add-ons necessary

Thanks

Meant to say Im looking for something in the 200-300 euro price range....

user_online.pngreport.gif
    progress.gif

Hi Forest,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

You've got a few options here :)  

The best option for that kind of money would be the Cambridge Audio Minx TV.  The only issue you might have is that it can;t be wall mounted.  Apart from that it ticks all the boxes.

Built in sub gives it a nice kick, no need for a separate sub here.  It also has bluetooth built in so you can stream all your music from any blueooth device directly to the soundbase.  It's a great all rounded so works really well for both movies and music.  This would come in at €233.70:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/cambridge-audio/minx-tv/camb-minx-tv-blk

For connecting the TV to your soundbase you would use the optical out from your TV (best to double check if it has 1)  If not you can use the RCA connections.  

If wall mounting is important then check out the Yamaha YAS103.  This is brand new from Yamaha and it's already shaping up to be a very popular line.  Excellent detail and decent bass from the built in sub.  It also has built in Bluetooth for music streaming.  Connection wise it has 2 optical, 1 coax and 1 line input.  Connection wise I'd run the Sky and Apple TV into the optical inputs, and then the DVD into the Coax or line inputs.  The Yamaha comes in at €285.65:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/yamaha/yas103/yama-yas103-blk

Unfortunately built in radio tuners isn't very common in soundbars.  I believe your Apple TV will give you access to Tune In radio which is a fantastic alternative.  

Check these out and let me know what you think.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.