Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I substitute now or wait till old licence has expired?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

My license for my .22 expires in Jan'15 and was considering getting a .17hmr instead. I was thinking of subbing the new gun now and IF granted simply renew the .17hmr in the new year. the advantage as i see it is I will have the contd use of a rifle until the sub comes in rather then wait till Jan and then not renew the .22 and wait for the new .17hmr license to be granted.

Is my train of thought correct? I know the sub is dependent on the super/FO granting it.

All constructive advise welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Doing mine, I had to have a note from the gun shop that my old fire arm was handed over to them first otherwise if it were granted you'd have an unlicensed firearm in your possession.

I'd go for a new application then when it's granted you can do the trade in there would be more paperwork that way though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If theres time left on it sub it soon.
    If you leave it till October you'll have your renewal forms sent out for the .22 so get it done before then and the renewal forms will be for the HMR.

The super may decide theres not enough time left on the licence for a renewal though but its worth a go.

What kind of .22 have you? I've a HMR at the minute and im looking to sub it for a .22

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

I really should talk to the FO first otherwise Im just messing about. I have a cz 452.rabbit.jpg

May I ask why your switching to a .22?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I really should talk to the FO first otherwise Im just messing about. I have a cz 452.rabbit.jpg

May I ask why your switching to a .22?

Nice looking gun,is that a heavy barrel?

I love the hmr and its an absolute tack driver, I've just gotten a licence for a .243 for foxes and deer so now that I have foxes covered I want to try the .22 for a while for the cheap ammo and sub sonics.

I'll def have a .17 in the future again. Great craic for long distance shots.

phew! thought you were going to tell me you hated it. The rifle is a reg barrel and I really love it but have seen too many foxes that I've had to wave on.

I only started shooting two or three years ago and the .22 has been a great training rifle .

Anyway thanks for the vote of confidence in the hmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Its highly unlikely that the Superintendent will decline your application, technically he is within his powers to and so he could but it's highly unlikely. I agree with the other poster, you will probably be told to hang on for the renewal though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Garv said do it now. Get the sub done before October and then renew the new rifle.

The Super might tell you to wait, i've only heard of this once before, but it's not a legal requirement.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Sorry for the delay in comping back and thanking everybody for their input. The sub had been lodged and I hope it all goes smoothly. Thanks again

Advertisement