Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing my American wife for a trip home for the first time, need ideas

Options
  • 25-08-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm looking for ideas, I'm from Milltownpass which is a small town outside of Mullingar, my wife is from Texas and has never been abroad before and next year I'm taking her home, hoping to make it an annual thing so I'm looking for ideas, obviously she'll get to see my hometown itself, as well as Rochfortbridge, Tyrrellspass Castle, Kilbeggan, as well as Mullingar and Dublin.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You could take her to Galway and down to Lisdoonvarna to see the Cliffs of Mohar. You could take her on the Viking boat tour in Athlone and the Castle. Then you could head down as far as Cork, Blarney, Kilarney and Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CelticCross229

Itzy wrote: »
    You could take her to Galway and down to Lisdoonvarna to see the Cliffs of Mohar. You could take her on the Viking boat tour in Athlone and the Castle. Then you could head down as far as Cork, Blarney, Kilarney and Dingle.

The Viking boat tour is something I'd never even considered, great recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

What about Clonmacnoise?
    It has a very interesting history and I would advise you to go to the visitors centre first. Get the map which give some information about each thing to see in clonmacnoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

OP do you now live in the USA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Newgrange, Kylemore abbey and then Recess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

While in Westmeath go for a pint in Fore, marvel at its seven wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

See the Dublin forum for things to see/do, then after a day or three drive straight home without leaving the freeway thing until you reach your exit.

Sleep like babies, have a big heart attack fry with loads of homemade brown bread (just because), then go visit all the local places that you loved. Tell her why they are important to you. Nothing about past loves, obviously...

Galway (city, the Spanish Quarter, Salthill), the Burren (Corkscrew Hill if you get that far). Clonmacnoise, obviously, as already said. History here can be thousands years old; in the US, 200+ years (apart from native stuff) is rare.

The main thing though is to relax! Have a pint or two in your local, eat a couple of packets of crisps, bag of chips if you can handle it. Taxi home, or walk if it is close. Sleep late, jetlag is a great excuse!

Watch a bit of Father Ted; don't explain too much. Go for a walk. Have a boiled egg or two (with brown bread, and a smidgin of salt, and pepper if you like).

Buy a few souvenirs (genuine for you, plus whatever she likes).

Fly back; remember those memories.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Bearing in mind it's the westmeath forum...Tullynally castle, Belvedere and the jealous wall..Lough Deravarragh,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Download the official discover Ireland app (assuming you have a smartphone), uses location services to identify where you are and then gives you all the attractions nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Ging Ging wrote: »
    While in Westmeath go for a pint in Fore, marvel at its seven wonders.

Is that the seven pubs in Fore ? .;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

cml387 wrote: »
    Bearing in mind it's the westmeath forum...Tullynally castle, Belvedere and the jealous wall..Lough Deravarragh,

I've been to Belvedere, but what's the jealous wall ? - Unaware of that at Belvedere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Long Gone wrote: »
    I've been to Belvedere, but what's the jealous wall ? - Unaware of that at Belvedere...
    Jealous Wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

+1 for Belvedere. If the weather is good you could spend the whole day there: tour of Belvedere house, 45 minute walk on a trail through the gardens, walled garden, bring a picnic to have on the lake shore or there is also a nice cafe.

After Belvedere you could go to Bloomfield Hotel which is near by and have a Guinness overlooking the lake.

Walk wise there is always the Royal Canal. The path has been upgraded not just around Mullingar town but for miles in either direction - Kilucan or Ballynacarrigy. The route around town is nice but the place I like best is Coolnahay which is halfway between Mullingar and Ballynacarrigy. It is a beautiful place with lockes, wildlife, boats and more.

If you are planning a trip to Dublin catching the train would be different - especially if you are stuck for time you could do it all in a day. Also the Dart and Luas are beside Connelly station which makes it easier to get to places like Howth or Malahide - nice if you want to get away from the city centre.

Advertisement