Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in wexford

Options
  • 25-08-2014 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to Duncannon next week and decided to dust off the rods.
    I used to mainly fish for salmon and trout.
    Are there any good spots for sea or game fishing In the area?
    What's can I expect to catch?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭KAI.Fundraiser

Your in a prime location for Bass, cod, pollack and all sorts....

Hook head you can target pollack, bass and wrasse, Im sure theres more but thats what I would target there.

Passage east, Cod, whiting and flats from the ferry crossing. Iv heard on the waterford side they get herring when the mackerel are running.

You have a number of locations all around you for any type of fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Your in a prime location for Bass, cod, pollack and all sorts....

Hook head you can target pollack, bass and wrasse, Im sure theres more but thats what I would target there.

Passage east, Cod, whiting and flats from the ferry crossing. Iv heard on the waterford side they get herring when the mackerel are running.

You have a number of locations all around you for any type of fishing.

thanks.
    Should I be using spinners or bait? when is the best time for beach fishing ?

Im not a plug or spinner man, Im bait all the way but If you make it to hook head Id be on the lures... if your fishing passage east, use lug and crab baits on 3 hook flappers.

I personaly believe every beach is different, so I always try to fish the full tide if I can, if you get there at low and fish it till atleast 2 hours after high, its allot of hours but a great way to stay away from the kids lol and always at night.

Or if you can fish up to high tide as its getting dark.

thanks for the advice...now just to escape the wife and kids for a few hours :)

Let us know how you get one, we are planning a trip next week down to passage east in the hope the cod have started to run up the river!

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get one, we are planning a trip next week down to passage east in the hope the cod have started to run up the river!

They run up the river?

Yea right up into the city where the train yard is lol... Its a tidel river so its salt water. and there is marks along it on the waterford side, 20 mile inland that you can catch cod, whiting and flounders in the river.

Advertisement