Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Required .. (Cheap as Possible)

Options
  • 25-08-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Hi guys..

The PSU on my Dell Inspiron 546 (Tower.. Not the mini) has finally given up the ghost. It was going for a long while, but I got round it by leaving the pc on all the time. However, we had a power cut the other morning, and now I just can't get it to come back on.

The part number is HP-P3017F3P and it's the PSU in the link here ...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-DELL-300W-PFC-WISTRON-HIPRO-PSU-P-N-RW3R8-MODEL-HP-P3017F3P-UP-N-D300P002L-/281369562757?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item4182eece85

However, my problem being, this is a bit expensive for me right now. So, would anyone know where I could get one cheaper, much cheaper if possible?

I was told before that I cannot use a Non-Dell product in the pc. Would this be true?

The max wattage for the one I need is 300w ... (I don't know enough about them to know if I can go any higher.)

Thanks for any help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Difficult to be absolutely sure but it looks like a fairly standard ATX PSU and the motherboard seems to have a standard connector unlike some Dells.

Obviously it's better to replace it with a quality PSU but you could get a way with something cheap 'n cheerful which should see the machine work out it's days.

Shop for a standard PC power supply, shouldn't cost more than 20 quid. Just saw this one on Adverts for 22 euro. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of that model can confirm it will work.

Just an aside: Older Dells suffered from swelling capacitors on the motherboard which could give the symptoms you describe, is it possible to borrow another PSU just to check ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I know for a while dell had computers where the psu slotted into the motherboard like a pci card, and for a while they had psus that had a connector that looked kinda like atx. They have a table of the pin out for that here http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053 . They stopped that nonsense a while back I think.

You can see a table of the pin out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX Compare the colors and if they match then it is ATX and any PSU should work.
    As for wattage, 300 would be the minimum you should get. A higher wattage would let you power more stuff if you decided to upgrade something, but it is also less efficient at lower power levels, so if you don't intend to use the extra power, it is usually cheaper both in electricity and price to get as low as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

ZENER wrote: »
    Difficult to be absolutely sure but it looks like a fairly standard ATX PSU and the motherboard seems to have a standard connector unlike some Dells.

Obviously it's better to replace it with a quality PSU but you could get a way with something cheap 'n cheerful which should see the machine work out it's days.

Shop for a standard PC power supply, shouldn't cost more than 20 quid. Just saw this one on Adverts for 22 euro. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of that model can confirm it will work.

Just an aside: Older Dells suffered from swelling capacitors on the motherboard which could give the symptoms you describe, is it possible to borrow another PSU just to check ?

Ken

Hi Ken, Thanks for the reply.

I have read about the capacitors before alright, but at the same time, the PSU failing on these models is a well known curse.

Sadly, it's not possible at all to try another PSU to check it.

Knasher wrote: »
    I know for a while dell had computers where the psu slotted into the motherboard like a pci card, and for a while they had psus that had a connector that looked kinda like atx. They have a table of the pin out for that here http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053 . They stopped that nonsense a while back I think.

You can see a table of the pin out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX Compare the colors and if they match then it is ATX and any PSU should work.
    As for wattage, 300 would be the minimum you should get. A higher wattage would let you power more stuff if you decided to upgrade something, but it is also less efficient at lower power levels, so if you don't intend to use the extra power, it is usually cheaper both in electricity and price to get as low as possible.

Thanks Knasher.

The pin out stuff here has me really lost. I don't know anything about that sort of stuff.

Only thing I plan to do in the future is upgrade the memory to 8GB, and maybe install a 1TB drive. The memory is currently 4GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks like standard ATX so anything really will do.

Qtec are a bit rubbish but should be fine if it's just regular home/office type use.

This is a high quality, energy efficient model.

A cheap PSU would be neither of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you want me to double check, put up a picture of the wires going into the plug. But I'd be surprised if it isn't atx

Knasher wrote: »
    If you want me to double check, put up a picture of the wires going into the plug. But I'd be surprised if it isn't atx

Yes, I do will do that in the morning.

Thank you very much.

Looks like standard ATX so anything really will do.

Qtec are a bit rubbish but should be fine if it's just regular home/office type use.

This is a high quality, energy efficient model.

A cheap PSU would be neither of those things.

Cool... That would be within the budget..

Only thing I'd need to know is ... If I buy something like that, how can I be sure it would fit? Are they standard fit?

Would the holes for the screws be in the same place etc?

Right guys,

If it helps at all, I got this reply from the Dell Community..

Does this change things?

The Inspiron 545 Mini Tower can use most generic ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

No, you do not have to use the same model, or make, but the power supply does have to be compatible with the Inspiron 546 MT

Yes, a power supply with more wattage can be installed, recommend buying a 500w/550w unit

Nope, basically just saying to go ahead and buy any atx psu.

• Advertisement

Nope, basically just saying to go ahead and buy any atx psu.

Thanks for that.

Was trying to figure that if I got one with and On/Off switch, how would I fit it.

The one I have don't have an On/Off switch.

Thanks for your answer. Will go searching online in the morning.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Was trying to figure that if I got one with and On/Off switch, how would I fit it.

The one I have don't have an On/Off switch.

Thanks for your answer. Will go searching online in the morning.

Not sure why they even mentioned that, it makes no difference to either operation or installation of a PSU. It's basically an on/off switch at the back to put your PC from standy to switched off - not dissimilar to switching your TV off versus just using the remote to turn it off. Most people don't even use it I would imagine.

Not sure why they even mentioned that, it makes no difference to either operation or installation of a PSU. It's basically an on/off switch at the back to put your PC from standy to switched off - not dissimilar to switching your TV off versus just using the remote to turn it off. Most people don't even use it I would imagine.

True.. Thanks again for all your help.

At least I know I'm on the right road now.

Hi guys..

Just an update here..

I finally ordered a PSU for my pc.. I contacted Komplett.ie and told them what pc I had.

They recommended a PSU for me, and I ordered it last Monday, and it was delivered today.

http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-01com/80009906/cooler-master-b500-500-watt/details.aspx

I just installed it, and it fired up first time. Had to check it twice, as it's so quiet, I wasn't sure if the fans were running or not.

Job done..

Thanks to you all for the help.

Advertisement