Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant: Damp, Mould... Rent advice.

Options
  • 25-08-2014 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Wondering if anybody can advise me on a problem I'm having.
    The bathroom ceiling in my apt in basically falling apart, with pieces falling down. The light fitting has come away from the ceiling, so there's no light which means it's pitch black as it's in the interior of the building.
    There's also damp and mould on the wall and ceiling.
    I've told the landlord, over a month ago. He left a note saying he'd sort it that week, and nothing has been done. I've been living there for years at this stage and it always takes him ages to do anything but this's a bit ridiculous.

Should I ask for a reduction in rent? Am I entitled to a reduction?
    Is there some way to get him to act without getting into an argument?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Yikes what a nightmare. You need to notify him in writing/email of the problem and allow a reasonable amount of time for him to rectify, in this case maybe a week or so. If he does resolve within that time frame you can use it as a basis to break any lease and/or tenancy agreement in place.

There is a somewhat grey area where after the specified time period has elapsed you can go about getting the problem fixed yourself and take the exact cost out of the rent due but I really don't like this route.

Personally, I'd choose to legally break the lease on these grounds, demand my deposit returned and seek alternative accommodation. But you have to do it all above board with the written notification, response and elapsed reasonable time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Power Chords

He's been informed in writing, over a month ago. He acknowledged the note, said 'I'll do it this week' in response but nothing has been done.
    Moving at this stage isn't an option for all kinds of reasons.
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

In that case I'd say go get a couple of formal quotes from local tradesmen, submit them to the landlord and ask him would he agreeable to having the cost deducted from the next month's rent due.

I'd really, really suggest getting explicit permission and agreement from the Landlord prior to deducting anything from the rent but I do think he is taking liberties at this stage if he's been informed in writing and is a month behind on his obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Power Chords

Thanks again.

Advertisement