Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oftec 50/101 courses

Options
  • 25-08-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'm a Fetac/Fas qualified plumber and I'm just starting out as self employed, I want to sign up for an Oftec course for servicing and installing oil boilers, but I'm wondering what's the different basic qualifications that the Oftec 50 and the 101 will give me, apart from course content. If the 50 will leave me certified to carry out work on boilers, what's worth the extra cost (again, apart from content) that the 101 charges? The main thing that puts me off the 50 is that anyone can apply for it that hasn't a related trade background or experience, but money is a bit tight at the minute and if the 50 is going to leave me with the same level of certification as the 101, then I can't see much point in going for the 101 right now as its twice the price?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Oftec 50 is only an Introduction to Oil Heating course set out for those who would have had little or no previous Oil Heating experience.
    It is Not a certified course.
    If you have had no previous experience with Oil Fired burners it would be a good lead into the rest of the Oftec course as it covers quite a bit of ground and helps you to understand the more detailed aspects of what gets covered on the 101, 105, 600 course, which is what you need to complete for Blue Flame certification, and in turn OFTEC registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Best of luck in the self employment front.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

You can do individual certified components for the course, as in a standalone 101, but the 3-in-1 is certainly a better course 101, 105e, 600a as an installer you would need a knowledge of tank installation (not just the boiler)

If you starting out, approach at the social service in search of some funding for your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I would like to do an OFTEC 50 course in Cork, any recommendations on who to do it with?

After a quick search I've found a company called Chevron that run them for €595 over 4 days 9am - 5pm.

Is this the norm for one of these courses or can I do better?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Honestly, 4 days is not worth doing, Oftec should be a 10 day course for you to get anything practical out of it as for installation, service and repair of oil heating appliances.

In 4 days you would have to cover 5 books, 8 exams, and a practical exam!!

Look to Fas in Cork or Metac in Portlaoise.

Advertisement