Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value cat food (wet & dry) to buy online

• 25-08-2014 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I am looking to order some wet & dry cat food for my 4 month old kitten online, as the shops always seem too expensive (Tesco & MaxiZoo are the only pet shops near me)

I am looking to spend no more than 50-60 euro, and am looking at Zooplus.ie in particular, as they have free delivery for over 50 euro.

Bulk wet food & 10kg bags of dry food work best for me, as the most savings I can get the better.

I am looking for the best value food available & also the most nutritious for my cat. He isn't too picky (not yet anyway, thank god!)

Thanks in advance!
    Sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Sam Mac wrote: »
    I am looking to order some wet & dry cat food for my 4 month old kitten online, as the shops always seem too expensive (Tesco & MaxiZoo are the only pet shops near me)

I am looking to spend no more than 50-60 euro, and am looking at Zooplus.ie in particular, as they have free delivery for over 50 euro.

Bulk wet food & 10kg bags of dry food work best for me, as the most savings I can get the better.

I am looking for the best value food available & also the most nutritious for my cat. He isn't too picky (not yet anyway, thank god!)

Thanks in advance!
    Sam

I use porta 21 cats heaven (grain free) dry and schesir wet for my cats. However, both do a kitten formula, but both contain rice, but this shouldn't be a problem for most cats. One of mine is just a sensitive girl :)

I would say if buying food to cover one cat for one month, you could buy the multi pack of 24 cans in 75 or 85 g and a couple of the six packs, using 1 can split per day, and 2 -3 bags of the two kilo bags using about 30-40 g mixed into the wet per serving (if feeding twice daily).

All depends on the ratio of wet to dry you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I've been checking Smilla out and will be buying a bag once my guys are finished their current food. You can get 8kgs for €22! And the ingredients while not the absolute best out there, aren't far off the ingredients used in royal canin. The irish site doesn't do a 10kg but the english one does and it works out at about €28 for 10kgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Rommie wrote: »
    I've been checking Smilla out and will be buying a bag once my guys are finished their current food. You can get 8kgs for €22! And the ingredients while not the absolute best out there, aren't far off the ingredients used in royal canin. The irish site doesn't do a 10kg but the english one does and it works out at about €28 for 10kgs

Zooplus.de have 12kg (3x4kg) for €29.80. I generally find them a good bit cheaper than the .ie or .co.uk sites, but you need to spend €99 for free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Rommie wrote: »

How much would 8kg's last for a small kitten? Sorry but I'm pretty new to kittens & their feeding/eating habits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We used Royal Canin kitten and Applaws for kittens as a dry food with our foster kitten and she thrived on both. The Applaws is grain free and 80% protein. Both the RC and Applaws are 16.99 on Zooplus. I'd try the trial packs if I were you, definitely just the 2 kg bags at most, you don't want to be stuck with a lot of food the kitten won't eat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd go with Applaws Kitten or Taste of the Wild for the dry; it's cost per kilo and what goes in it is at the best price point you can get honestly and you really do not want to skimp on quality at kitten stage (we got a new foster we thought was at best 6 month old due to size and weight; turns out she's actually 2 years old yet she's smaller than a 6 month old kitten due to lack of nutrition as young). For the wet you have a bit more choice but I'd look at Bozita and Schmusy (don't go with the fish versions with either). Both are complete foods (many are not; make sure to verify!) at a very reasonable price level.

Hi guys,

what should I be giving him to drink? I know water is the obvious choice, but should I give him some cat milk now and again to mix it up a bit? Or just water all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Hi guys,

what should I be giving him to drink? I know water is the obvious choice, but should I give him some cat milk now and again to mix it up a bit? Or just water all the time?

Water is perfect they should always have a fresh bowl or two around the place, cat milk is good for an odd treat though!

Water is perfect they should always have a fresh bowl or two around the place, cat milk is good for an odd treat though!

Thank you!

Advertisement