Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff Buckley Fans

Options
  • 25-08-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

In honor of the 20th anniversary of their landmark record, Grace, Gary Lucas is letting fans write the lyrics to a song he wrote with Jeff in mind. Its happening at hookist. Love to know your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Am I alone in thinking that if Jeff Buckley hadn't died young and pretty, he'd now be obscure, middle aged, and widely ignored?

I don't 'get' Jeff Buckley.

Could have posted the same about his dad. Weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hookist

definitely middle aged. not sure about the other two. the music tho is still pretty popular and sounds very current. I can[t post video but jimmy page just recently had an interview where he talked about how important jeff buckley was and how influenced he was by him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

endacl wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking that if Jeff Buckley hadn't died young and pretty, he'd now be obscure, middle aged, and widely ignored?

His dad died too young. He struggled to find his way, and from what I know was only getting started when he died. Yes, some of his stuff is clearly misguided, but you can't dispute his talent.

I think Grace is a masterpiece, and a seminal album for many people. In my personal case, it is one of the albums that are part of my musical consciousness so to speak. It's in the little jukebox in my head and has been played regularly for the last twenty years, along with Fela Kuti and others.

You should try listen to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You're not the only one who thinks that but I think you're wrong. He only had one proper album but it's clear that he had a lot of talent and an amazing voice. It's just such a pity that we'll never get to hear the music that he would've wrote in the years afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What does that matter? It doesn't take away from the fact that when he was here he made brilliant music. Plenty of people who made great music in the past are now obsolete and ignored, doesn't mean that the great music they made is any less great. Cocteau Twins spring to mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement