Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This week I'm mostly playing..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Bought State of Decay, 12 hours play in 2 days.... Grrrrrrr, I had work to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mazer_

Still finishing Darksiders 2 after picking it up in the THQ Humble Bundle a while back. It's a great combination of genres, cool art style as well. I'm hoping someone picks up the Darksiders property so we can get another sequel now that THQ is dead and buried.
    Dacelonid wrote: »
    Just finished up Alpha Protocol.

I tried really hard to get into that game but I was consistently put off by the ridiculous sneaking animation. It's just too easy to lose your immersion when your super spy looks like he's carrying a turd in his jocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Age of Empires lll

Got to do something in the rain.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Age of Empires lll

Got to do something in the rain.

My missus hates PC games, but she'll happily plug away on Skirmish on AoE 2 and 3 for hours on end. It's either AoE or Candy Crush... Doesn't make any sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

brianblaze wrote: »
    My missus hates PC games, but she'll happily plug away on Skirmish on AoE 2 and 3 for hours on end. It's either AoE or Candy Crush... Doesn't make any sense!

My missus also hates gaming but is obsessed with Hearthstone. I never knew she had such a potty mouth until she started playing. She's in the other room now '**** this **** that' because she's getting beaten by a priest again. She scares me.

she's getting beaten by a priest again

Just like school!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ouch - rough!

I got stuck into some Borderlands 2 last night with my girlfriend, we killed many Threshers and "invisible assholes" and got rid of a Dave problem for the people of Overlook (I always loved that bit in the game).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Shiminay wrote: »
    Ouch - rough!

I got stuck into some Borderlands 2 last night with my girlfriend, we killed many Threshers and "invisible assholes" and got rid of a Dave problem for the people of Overlook (I always loved that bit in the game).

Think my GF are on that exact part as well! :D

BL2 is such a fun co-op, though we mix it up with Battle blocks theater now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Far Cry 3, nearly finished the game.

The fear I have of sharks in that game... Will get a bit of Blood Dragon soon enough.
    Playing this myself at the moment. About 23hrs in according to Steam and due to a rather obsessive need to collect all the things, I'm only about half way through it, judging by how much of the map I've unlocked at least.

Really really enjoying it though, moving through the world feels great and the main mechanics all feel quite satisfying. Rather surprised the guy doing the VO work for Vaas hasn't done more work in the industry too, he's pretty top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally got back to playing the first Bioshock again. Last save was from July. :o

But must try a get through a good bit this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Started a new PC game last night, Darksiders - this has been on my 'to do' list for AGES, I know it is years old but it looks great IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

I cant understand why I'm having so much fun with Diablo 3, I only got it the other day, but I'm finding it so enjoyable so far.

Last month I got bet into Portal 2, having never played Portal. (I own both since a Steam sale shortly after building the rig) Such a great game!

ionapaul wrote: »
    Started a new PC game last night, Darksiders - this has been on my 'to do' list for AGES, I know it is years old but it looks great IMHO.

I've played but haven't finished that. It's a fun game, I must get back to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Xcom enemy within; I finally broke down and bought it ($10) and I'm loving every minute of it but damn was the weekend short... I dread for when I'll fire up the Longwar mod of it ><
    ionapaul wrote: »
    I stopped playing it at the worm boss fight; I got soo damn annoyed with that fight because the keyboard controls simply don't work very well as the horse simply don't turn as it should (yes I looked up youtube videos on how to defeat it and I still failed to the point of quitting :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nody wrote: »
    Xcom enemy within; I finally broke down and bought it ($10) and I'm loving every minute of it but damn was the weekend short... I dread for when I'll fire up the Longwar mod of it ><

Xcom is a game I just can't handle.

I enjoy building the base and all that and the gameplay itself but I just find the permadeath of your squad mates to be intolerable.

I save-scummed my way through it once and that'll be it.

I'd love a game almost like it but with a clever work-around for squadmates dying.

I'm away from my proper PC for 2 weeks so I'm stuck with Hearthstone in glorious 480p and Age of Empires 2. All in all, a pretty good compromise. Technology is amazing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nody wrote: »
    I stopped playing it at the worm boss fight; I got soo damn annoyed with that fight because the keyboard controls simply don't work very well as the horse simply don't turn as it should (yes I looked up youtube videos on how to defeat it and I still failed to the point of quitting :( )

Darksiders is definitely a game you should use a gamepad for. Doesn't work at all well with a keyboard. Fantastic game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Oak76 wrote: »
    I also just started an evening course, so I'm thinking I might play a few short and sweet titles for a few weeks til my routine settles down again.... Maybe Limbo and/or Brothers: Tale of Two Sons.

Played through it several times on GameCube, but I bought a Steam code for Resident Evil 4 on a whim. So that's what I ended up playing this week instead. Screw you, whim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    Playing this myself at the moment. About 23hrs in according to Steam and due to a rather obsessive need to collect all the things, I'm only about half way through it, judging by how much of the map I've unlocked at least.

Really really enjoying it though, moving through the world feels great and the main mechanics all feel quite satisfying. Rather surprised the guy doing the VO work for Vaas hasn't done more work in the industry too, he's pretty top notch.

Vaas alone is a reason to try out Farcry 3.

I am loving State of Decay. What a game! It's like a more controlled version of Day Z, same level of terror at some points!

Very buggy though, so much like DayZ there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I am loving State of Decay. What a game! It's like a more controlled version of Day Z, same level of terror at some points!

Very buggy though, so much like DayZ there too!

I really enjoyed that too, didnt play any of the DLC for it but despite it's bugs i couldnt stop playing til i'd finished it :)

I really enjoyed that too, didn't play any of the DLC for it but despite it's bugs I couldn't stop playing til I'd finished it :)

I'd like if you could delegate better with the survivors you have, but apart from that it's a pretty cool mechanic for a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Diablo 3, only bought it on Tuesday but i feel a long term addiction coming on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just got Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition for €18 so that's pre-loading for me to be playing all weekend! Sorry Darksiders 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pael

Playing the Witcher 1 myself, want to finish the first 2 again in advance of # 3 next year. They are IMO along with obsidians output the most well written and grown up of RPGs with no pure right or wrongs just degrees of grey.

Next up the new divinity rpg, the game mechanics look refreshingly complicated but finding it hard to summon up an interest in its game world which I've always found a bit lazy & silly

VinLieger wrote: »
    Diablo 3, only bought it on Tuesday but i feel a long term addiction coming on

Right there with you, such an enjoyable game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

5etAHNtl.jpg

Months worth of Game Over, constant mistakes, screwy patterns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Damn you Diablo3, damn your crappy drop rates, damn your making other people luckier than me, damn your trying to kill me at every oportunity the very instant i lapse into "confident cocky mode" on hardcore, and most of all, DAMN YOU KADALA you heartless bloodshard hungry TRAMP! :D

seriously, 10k shards on chests and not a marauders carapace to be seen.. havent even started on the legs yet, but that's all i need to roll out with that awesome sentry spec. Got myself a whopping tasker and theo, and a near perfect roll bombabier rucksack i just have no luck with the marauder's set at all

Bought The Escapists....

Very interesting game, Team 17 so can't go wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Finally got around to finishing The Witcher 2 this weekend. Well, Iorveth's path anyway. Going to have to take a week off work to power through Roche's path some day soon before the next game comes out.

Also thanks to GOG being wonderful about price differences across borders, my ordering Witcher 3 allowed me to pick up the entire Neverwinter Nights 2 collection for a song and a dance, and that's why I can barely keep my eyes open in work today...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

COD: Ghosts.

Once you get past the ropey first mission or two, it actually sort of somes close at times to the good old days of COD4 and Modern Warfare 2 campaigns at one or two points. Not brilliant, but pretty enjoyable for the few hours that are in it. Ending left wide open for a direct sequel so not sure what IW's plans are there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dead Rising 3 for me.

It's another disastrous launch and a lazy port. To get it to run, nVidia owners have to go back to a six month old set of drivers, and even then the performance is awful. And no SLI support either.

When I did get playing, it's fun at least. And it produces screenshots like these:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35223031192570105/E171E59FCEFCA23FC7F882EDF0BE171A06EF6DBC/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35223031170662611/E5092EAA2C4DE148214B87EEA34841271994CFE7/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35223031170659802/77FDB7C74C2145451DEDD032E3BD30EBF97343EB/

I played some Dishonoured today and yesterday. I find really hard to care about any of the characters so I'm not really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Spear wrote: »
    Dead Rising 3 for me.

It's another disastrous launch and a lazy port. To get it to run, nVidia owners have to go back to a six month old set of drivers, and even then the performance is awful. And no SLI support either.

When I did get playing, it's fun at least. And it produces screenshots like these:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35223031192570105/E171E59FCEFCA23FC7F882EDF0BE171A06EF6DBC/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35223031170662611/E5092EAA2C4DE148214B87EEA34841271994CFE7/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35223031170659802/77FDB7C74C2145451DEDD032E3BD30EBF97343EB/
    I'm playing Dead Rising 3 myself and haven't really had much of a problem with it (running on a nVidia card), other than an occasional slow down that last a few seconds. I'm quite enjoying it. It's not the deepest game in the world and I'm not having the slightest bit of difficulty with it, but as mindless fun, it's great craic.

I finished the game of Civ V I was playing and I'm thinking about giving Dishonoured another look - I had previously finished it in a very bloody and brutal way and had started a much more stealth bastard game, so might restart that.

On the other hand, there's also the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut that I never played and that definitely appeals.

I played some Dishonoured today and yesterday. I find really hard to care about any of the characters so I'm not really enjoying it so far.

How far are you? I didn't love it at the start but the further I got the more it brought out the emotions.

marko93 wrote: »
    How far are you? I didn't love it at the start but the further I got the more it brought out the emotions.

I have done the first mission where you poison that high priest guy. I'm just about to enter the golden cat where Emily is allegedly being held.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I also didn't get very far into it when i played it. Was fun, but it just didn't hook me the way i'd hoped.

I'm not really playing anything at the moment. Got a character to lvl90 in Warcraft, and now nothing seems to interest me that much. Might give Dark Souls 2 another run with the dlc, or try some of my Steam back catalogue, but i think i'm just currently in a gaming slump. Happens every now and again i guess.

I have done the first mission where you poison that high priest guy. I'm just about to enter the golden cat where Emily is allegedly being held.

I think it gets better! Listening to soldiers chat and using the heart aimed at different people to get little stories is all very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Just got steam for the first time .
    What should my first purchase be ?

Also is it worth getting into wow ? I see you get the first 20 levels free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hearthstone - I'm determined to get all of Naxx without paying for it.
    Diablo III - On my third play through, my first on Reaper of Souls, level 65 and I'm still not sure if I like it.

Hearthstone - I'm determined to get all of Naxx without paying for it.
    Diablo III - On my third play through, my first on Reaper of Souls, level 65 and I'm still not sure if I like it.

I refuse to even look at Hearthstone.... YuGiOh took enough of my money back in the day! (When I was too old to have an excuse to play it!)

Seriously, Escapists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Some TF2 hats. <nods sagely>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Whatevers on sale really!
    Stuff to look out for that I'd recommend:
    Civ 4/5
    Xcom
    Hotline Miami
    Mark of the ninja
    Diablo 3
    Divinity original sin
    Portal 1/2
    The swapper

I finished the game of Civ V I was playing and I'm thinking about giving Dishonoured another look - I had previously finished it in a very bloody and brutal way and had started a much more stealth bastard game, so might restart that.

On the other hand, there's also the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut that I never played and that definitely appeals.

I bought Dishonoured back in the xmas Steam sale... Played 20 minutes, got bored, deleted. Same with Borderlands 2. I thought I was over the whole FPS scene until I played FC3. Turns out I'm into character development more so than pointy shooty.

• Advertisement

Also is it worth getting into wow ? I see you get the first 20 levels free.

What type of games do you like? Were you a console gamer (or as they're known around these parts, console peasant) before?

I would suggest Portal 1 and 2 if you can find them at a decent price.
    Same for the Orange Box (contains Half Life 1+2 and the Half Life 2 episodes, as well as the first Portal)

I bought Dishonoured back in the xmas Steam sale... Played 20 minutes, got bored, deleted. Same with Borderlands 2. I thought I was over the whole FPS scene until I played FC3. Turns out I'm into character development more so than pointy shooty.

Dishonoured isn't a pointy shooty though, if you're trying to play it that way then you're definitely doing it wrong. I say this having spent several hours playing it again last night.

Borderlands - yea, fair cop :) It's a loot grinder like Diablo or Torchlight that happens to be in a sci-fi FPS world. Really comes into its own in co-op like most of those sorts of games.

Dishonoured isn't a pointy shooty though, if you're trying to play it that way then you're definitely doing it wrong. I say this having spent several hours playing it again last night.

Borderlands - yea, fair cop :) It's a loot grinder like Diablo or Torchlight that happens to be in a sci-fi FPS world. Really comes into its own in co-op like most of those sorts of games.

I wish Dishonoured could be third-person though. I find first-person so restrictive given the style game they are going for. It isn't about twitch aim so please allow to see more of the environment. The new Deus Ex nailed it imo. I also would prefer if your character had a voice rather than you, the player, being the protagonist. All these one-way conversations feel so wooden and fake. I'm finding it hard to believe in the world and get engrossed.

So won't be playing Half Life or Zelda any time soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

humanji wrote: »
    I'm playing Dead Rising 3 myself and haven't really had much of a problem with it (running on a nVidia card), other than an occasional slow down that last a few seconds. I'm quite enjoying it. It's not the deepest game in the world and I'm not having the slightest bit of difficulty with it, but as mindless fun, it's great craic.

Have you encountered any save issue? I tried continuing my game today and it doesn't recognise any saves. It recognises that i'm in Chapter 3, but i can't load anything. Pain in me ring!

• Advertisement
Advertisement