Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This week I'm mostly playing..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For anyone else on Dead Rising 3, nVidia have a new driver, 344.11 which apparently fixes the crashes that were happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, the beta for Wasteland 2 my brother gave me just got upgraded to full game. Been a couple of updates since I tried it out, and I was really quite impressed back then. Should be a fun weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Bought ancient space, gauntlet and wasteland 2 this week.

Hold off on buying Ancient Space, it's okay, but it's really not great. I'm thinking of it as an appetiser for the re-release/remasters of Homeworld/2, and tbh it just didn't cut the mustard with me.

Gauntlet is as good as the co-op original from the 80's, well worth every red cent, been playing an Elf all evening, and it's just as comical killing food when party members are about to die :D

Wasteland 2 is a masterpiece and done in exactly the same vein as Fallout and Fallout 2. If you've played and enjoyed either/both of those games, you'll love WL2, the soundtrack is so eerily like fallout/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Bought gauntlet, had dead rising 3 but crashes and the new nvidia drivers wont even allow me to run triple screen so thats a no no

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hold off on buying Ancient Space, it's okay, but it's really not great. I'm thinking of it as an appetiser for the re-release/remasters of Homeworld/2, and tbh it just didn't cut the mustard with me.

Cheers for that. Was very tempted to pick it up, but will hold off for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Finally broke my level 7 duck on Divinity Original Sin. Have played it to this point twice already, third time was the charm. Playing with a mate brings it another level of fun too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Skyrim: I'v found a nice balance of mods that adds a lot to the game without compromising too much performance. I still have yet to complete the game even though I bought it at launch!

The latest version of nVidia Geforce Experience crashes Skyrim if you are using RealVision ENB Mod.

Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars: The DLC is great fun, being multiplayer only, certain servers are great for certain gametypes such as Prison Break or Siege (with nearly 200 players at once).

I'm still working through some of the games I previously mentioned in the thread also.

Finally broke my level 7 duck on Divinity Original Sin. Have played it to this point twice already, third time was the charm. Playing with a mate brings it another level of fun too.

Can you elaborate on that? I would have thought a slow RPG would be hindered by another player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Is it early access or do you just think it's not worth getting unless it's for pittance in a steam sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

FIFA 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Civ 5 & FTL.

(With 2 children under 20 months old, they are the only thing I can drop in and out of fairly easily.)

...but this Neo Scavenger has me interested. Very interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Got Tropicano 4 recently and just found out I'm not supposed to educate everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can you elaborate on that? I would have thought a slow RPG would be hindered by another player

No, because while you're off doing various bits and pieces in town, eg my character is the high charisma barter one, he can be off doing a few other things, like crafting for example. His character is the crafter, and thief. So he's off nicking paintings, sending them to me, I sell them. Quests can also be done quicker, since you can be off around different parts of town, though you do rely on each other telling each other what they're doing so you don't miss too much of the experience (gaming experience, not XP).

Zulu wrote: »

...but this Neo Scavenger has me interested. Very interested.

I very highly recommend it. It's still in early access but it's almost complete so when you play it won't be buggy. Be warned, the game does throw you curve balls at times, sometimes unfairingly so but at the same time it's the great thing about the game is that anything can happen.

Plus as it's turn based so it would suit your current situation at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

Deus Ex:HR - The Missing Link

I'd almost forgotten how good this game is, absolutely brilliant. And this DLC is massive. Brilliant, really top quality, must be the best DLC I have played for any game so far.

I am going to replay the main game afterwards, can't wait, so many different ways to do things, I always have to kill a few bad guys but seriously thinking about a non-lethal playthrough for once, the takedowns are pretty satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Most recent games for me [ancient to everyone else: The Witcher 2, Dragonage Origins - can't really get into the latter after playing the Witcher, but then I've only gave it an hour and a half ... need to find the time. About 10hrs into the Witcher, actually runs really well on my laptop which is nice. Again, don't have tonnes of hours to dedicate to it like I would have years back. Maybe I should try more casual games? Been mostly playing games on the pad and phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

Defense Grid 2 ..... Love the casual tower defense games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This week and many weeks to come hopefully, Xcom - Long War (installed the Mod last night; first mission my rookie with two kills got one shot killed in full cover :( )

I can't handle anything but normal, non ironman Xcom. It's keyboard smashingly frustrating at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Been playing a lot of Bioshock Infinite lately.

I played through it on the Xbox 360 when it first came out, and i have to say the difference in difficulty between the PC and Xbox versions is staggering. I attribute that to the keyboard and mouse (headshots ftw), but it really changes the game.

Much more enjoyable this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just playing a bit of Pacman Championship Edition since it's free on Steam. It's fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I've been mostly playing the latest build of Road Redemption. Not bad at all, though it's a bit too daft for my taste, personally speaking. The acid test will be when online multiplayer is introduced.

?id=319018369

image link

Wasteland 2 :)

it's just awesome, this is my third attempt playing through -
    You can probably guess what each of those characters has skill points in

Hodor is awesome!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wasteland 2,such an awesome game :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Back to The Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So for this week it's the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Don't really know what to make of it yet, but it can look very good.

Just got the vanishing of Ethan Carter here too. Just played the beginning, to get the settings right - playing on a laptop - a decent enough one but the card isn't the best [GT640m]

It runs sweet enough when I drop the res to 1200 x 720 on high. Will have to try other settings to see what works best, maybe medium textures?

Just a little warning for anyone thinking on getting The vanishing of Ethan Carter - There is no save options! The game auto saves, but doesn't tell you when. It seems to be after you solve a any particular section, fully! If you think you got it [again, doesn't tell you] and move on, you'll have to do that section all over again if you've missed anything. If go ahead and start into another section and quit during, you will be pushed back to the start of the one previous you didn't complete. Bit annoying in an otherwise great game. So far at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    This week and many weeks to come hopefully, Xcom - Long War (installed the Mod last night; first mission my rookie with two kills got one shot killed in full cover :( )
    God Long War mod really know how to aim for the gonads; terror mission in the fourth month and I've have basic laser weapons, default armor. Go up against two Cyberdiscs and two Mechtoids who get 5 armor due to the damn psy buff meaning my basic weapons can't deal any damage! Oh and did I mention the pod of Chryssalids? ><

• Advertisement

Wasteland 2 - done and dusted! Completed it, didnt do very well according to the write at the end, but feck it.. 80+ hours worth of awesome :)

back to diablo3 now til beyond earth comes out i guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Shadow of Mordor, although college and work I'm not getting much time

Any good? Looks like it's all hack'n'slash from the vids I've seen, albeit, very good looking H'n'S. Doubt i could run it on this laptop anyway. Maybe on low settings.

I'm finding it great fun.

It can be heavy on the hack'n'slash all right, but if you're clever you can cut down on it by stealth, AssCreed style rooftop shenanigans, and sometimes just straight out poisoning an orc camp's grog barrels. The actual fights go much quicker once you're exploiting an enemy's weaknesses and fears, and turn a massive slog through dozens of orcs into a short fight where you quickly dispatch the boss and all his followers flee in terror. In this, it's actually more like AssCreed than the last few AssCreed games.

That said, the hack'n'slash is really quite good, it's pretty much the combat system from the Batman games, only you're stabbing orcs to death rather than punching criminals unconscious. It's silky smooth, you can counter more than one attack at once, you can combo close combat with your bow and throwing daggers once you unlock them, and once you get used to it you can take on 20 orcs at once without too much hassle. Also riding a caragorn into a camp and tearing orcs apart is far more satisfying than a sane and balanced individual should maybe admit.

I'm finally going through the second season of The Walking Dead. I forgot how engrossing they can be.

Nody wrote: »
    God Long War mod really know how to aim for the gonads; terror mission in the fourth month and I've have basic laser weapons, default armor. Go up against two Cyberdiscs and two Mechtoids who get 5 armor due to the damn psy buff meaning my basic weapons can't deal any damage! Oh and did I mention the pod of Chryssalids? ><
    Just completed a "standard" UFO landing with 47 aliens (inc. 3 pods of 5 Chrysalids; for the last pod I had zero AoE left and 5 outsiders with 12+ health). I love the mod but it is sooo frustrating at times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

rome total war, i havent checked the hours played and i think it's probably best that i dont..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm all about the Shadow of Mordor over the weekend, 28 hours played over 3 days - no, no problem there at all...
    <_<

>_>

Same as. I'll likely go back this weekend to collect a few more artifacts, a lot of those First Age stories and conversations are fascinating.

That's when I'm not trying to make a fortune trading in Elite Dangerous through non-combat means.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm off on holidays on Wednesday for a week, so I'm hoping to get the main story wrapped up before I go so when I return I'll have a day of time trials before going back to work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

shadows of mordor although i just finished it. much too short and way too easy from about halfway through the game. but great fun.

downloading dark souls 2 right now as i've never played any of them and heard it's a good challenging game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Just a little warning for anyone thinking on getting The vanishing of Ethan Carter - There is no save options! The game auto saves, but doesn't tell you when. It seems to be after you solve a any particular section, fully! If you think you got it [again, doesn't tell you] and move on, you'll have to do that section all over again if you've missed anything. If go ahead and start into another section and quit during, you will be pushed back to the start of the one previous you didn't complete. Bit annoying in an otherwise great game. So far at least.

The auto save is a pain if you are half way through a section and need to park it (reality, eating, work, sleep etc. ) but its a stunning looking game, especially in surround. No SLI support, but the Unreal Engine 3 profile works when tweaked.

The puzzles are clever but not exactly taxing, its also a short game, I'm nearly finished and want it to last a bit longer..at least until I get Alien: Isolation :)

Like many, I'm currently playing Shadow of Mordor. I am also playing some Skyrim as well with a chunk of mods.

varied week for me,

spent most of it playing
    Shadows of Mordor
    a little XCOM
    and Diablo 3

SoM really is great, although i found it difficult to get back into it once i'd completed the campaign, still 30+hours of quality play there

The weekend shall be part Borderlands 2, part Elite Dangerous, and part having the bejesus frightened out of me by Alien: Isolation.

Still playing Warcraft, mainly as i'm broke and can't afford Shadow of Morder, Alient Isolation or Rome 2 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Moved onto Alien Isolation and feeecccck me. That game is 2spooky4me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Been playing factorio all weekend,haven't played since may bank holiday and now that I understand the mechanics of the game better I'm hooked, such an awesome game.

I'v been really enjoying my playthrough of Skyrim this time around. Even though I have had the game since release and clocked a good amount of hours prior, I never ended up finishing it out of boredom at times. I'v installed a good few mods but I think the balance overhaul mods like Skyrim Redone are making the biggest impact on gameplay. Everything is more balanced that makes the game enjoyable and fair, and any of the additional mods have increased the playability also.

Got stuck back into Dawn of War 2 last night, and will go through the expansions which i've never played.
    Cravez wrote: »
    I'v been really enjoying my playthrough of Skyrim this time around. Even though I have had the game since release and clocked a good amount of hours prior, I never ended up finishing it out of boredom at times. I'v installed a good few mods but I think the balance overhaul mods like Skyrim Redone are making the biggest impact on gameplay. Everything is more balanced that makes the game enjoyable and fair, and any of the additional mods have increased the playability also.
    I can't play an unmodded Skyrim anymore. The mods just make the game so much better, with some absolutely fantastic things added. Hmm, must go play Skyrim again.

Dragon Age Origins (picked it up for free); I loath the combat style (and other issues such as lack of rogues to join you, the over abundance of locked chests which a rogue with maxed out lock picking and 30+ stat can't touch randomly placed in dungeons etc.) and it's general buggy nature (CTD a few times a day) but still I'm 36h in and I can start to see the end of it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement