Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This week I'm mostly playing..

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

First thing i do in Dragon Age is install the lock bash mod. Allows you to bash them like in other RPG's.

Though most of those chests have nothing that useful to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kiith wrote: »
    Got stuck back into Dawn of War 2 last night, and will go through the expansions which i've never played.

I can't play an unmodded Skyrim anymore. The mods just make the game so much better, with some absolutely fantastic things added. Hmm, must go play Skyrim again.

Ahh DoWII, That's actually what i did yesterday too. Just did a few missions for the craic - it's great at a high volume heh, i notice they've added steam achievements to it since i played last and they've gotten rid of GFWL. I'm not sure if i'm misremembering or not but i got tonnes of loot in those starting missions too. It wasnt like that the last time i played.. i had to scrounge for ages doing all the sidemissions just to get upgraded weapons and gear for my marines.

Aside from that i'm having a frenetic week of playing this and that and not really getting into anything.
    As i said like DoWII, Warthunder, COH2, Shadow of Mordor, payday2, diablo3 and really big sky..
    Must be that time of year or something

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Was away for the weekend, got back Monday night, had yesterday off, played more Shador of Mordor :D

Played some Civ: BE, but mostly been playing CoH2 and spamming tanktraps to fortify for artillery and mortars, sounds a lot more boring than it is, especially when people go ballistic (heh) because you wont rush the CP's

I think i've been called just about every name under the sun at this stage for it, even in french and german too :D hehe, still the tactic is sound and once you're used to it it's really difficult for the AI to break your defences down :)

gits..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

dwarf fortress for the first time, quite enjoyable
    back to dayz again to see how it's coming along, not much change in 4 months, still very boring
    metro 2033 redux, gave up after a few hours, way too linear for me and the guns/shooting really suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 auzzue

Finished Far Cry 3 and don't plan and buying any of Ubisoft's DLC

Slowly continuing with Skyrim. At my rate it'll be finished in 3 years.

Started playing Spec Ops: The Line because I got it in a bundle. Finding it very linear but the game choices actually make up for it.

I got Borderlands: The Pre Sequel free with my new GTX 770 but haven't had time to play it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

So many games in my libary still to play.... Giving State of Decay a go and I must say im quite enjoying it. Ill finish out before moving onto next title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Defense Grid 2 <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

payday 2 with a sprinkling of shadows of mordor at the moment

• Advertisement

been ages since i posted in this thread, i'd almost entirely forgotten about it :D

So, Dying Light , Elite:Dangerous and Diablo 3

Mother of god, Dying light is surprisingly awesome for a zombie game, it reminds me of Skyrim, but with fire and blood and scary as fcuk night-times

Elite is great fun but i think i'll wait for the new patch to come out of beta before i sink my teeth into it any further

Same with diablo, the new season starts next week, so i might just hang back and play DL some more, addictive game, seriously addictive.. and fun, it's fun too :)

Starbound and Elite at the moment for me. Definitely want to get Dying Light, but i'm broke till payday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Coming to the end of Avernum 2 Crystal Souls. Just recently got into these old school games and have to say they are brilliant. I'm just sorry I didn't get into Spiderweb games before now but on the plus side I have a shedload of games to go through now. Geneforge 1 to 5, Avernum 3 to 6, Avadon 1 to 2 so I am a happy gamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Diablo 3. Level 70, paragon 38. Going to play till i hit paragon 100, then leave it.

After that i'm going to give space engineers a proper go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

CS:GO, Grey Goo, a little dota 2.

brief gos of H1Z1, sunless sea, this war of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bruiserwicklow

darkest dungeon nuf said !

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Starbound and Elite at the moment for me. Definitely want to get Dying Light, but i'm broke till payday.

it's actually the first game i've bought this year that hasnt disappointed me, and i had heard none of the hype for it either so that probably counts for a lot, tell ye what though.. throwing firecrackers to create a zombie horde and then lobbing a molotov cocktail into the middle of it never gets old! :D

Also kicking a zombie off a 4 story roof onto it's head is pure gold, there's a whole heap of zombies too, shufflers, sprinters, special infected, it's like a mix of george a romero's oldschool zombie films and left4dead, plus the music man, some of it is proper heartpounding adrenaline music and some of it is retro 1970's zombie flick awesome!

I'd be really surprised if ye bought it and didnt like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm having cravings for Star Wars and WH40k that are alternating about once a fortnight.

Last weekend I finished the short campaign of Space Marine - I think it really shows, with some polish and developing on some of the core mechanics, what a 3rd person RPG set in the 40k universe could do.

The combat as it stands would get repetitive fairly early on but by incorporating RPG elements (similar to those in Dawn of War), maybe having a Space Marine's career drive the plot forward (start as a Scout and end up as a Terminator Captain) and giving you access to the full gamut of weapons and equipment, including driving some of the vehicles, I think you could make a top notch game with proper staying power and replayability.

My goal this weekend is to make a dent in DoW 2 on Primarch difficulty.

Disney need to get Bioware on a proper, non-mmo Star Wars RPG and Games Workshop could do an awful lot worse for something similar.

They seem to be cranking out a load of games at the moment of fairly dubious quality and mostly in niche genres. If Shadows of Mordor, Gears of War, Halo and the likes can all be successful AAA titles, I don't see why WH40k would be too nerdy to do the same.

Mother of god, Dying light is surprisingly awesome for a zombie game, it reminds me of Skyrim, but with fire and blood and scary as fcuk night-times

By steering clear of most zombie games I've probably avoided zombie-fatigue.
    At one stage L4D2 was free and I picked it up and put a few hours into it. Are there any similarities? That's about the sum-total of my time spent with zombie games since I beat Resident Evil 3 in about 2001.

Is it story driven or just more of a sand-box? Is it single player or more of an MMO?

It's similar but very different if that makes sense.

Best way i can describe it is that it's got as good a story as any zombie film/game/book/comic/etc.. the campaign can be co-op'ed, it's not an mmo.

It's more of an RPG than it is a FPS, basically you start being **** and build your character up to being decent at different things, the longer you do certain things the better you become, you gain skill points for three different trees

Survivor (for sidequests and the main quest) gives lots of helpful points in yep.. survival
    Agilty (from climbing and jumping and avoiding really nasty zombies) gives more agilty to do all of those above
    Power (from killing things) helps you kill things quicker or with different items etc..

So those are your skill trees, the more of each of those things you do the stronger your character becomes. As for weapons, you scavenge and craft on the go, no workbenches or anything you just do it from the menu. Pick up an Iron bar? Sure, that'll bust some zombie heads, but it wont last forever, the weapons (except firearms) decay and eventually break with use. You get to craft and even buy better weapons, and you can add your own modifications to them.. that iron bar can now set things on fire or electrocute zombies, and it wont decay as fast as it would normally.. that kind of thing.

The sidequests are optional, but worth doing - they award mods and points in the survivor tree which are really handy.

Crafting is not dissimilar to Dead Rising, although nowhere near as insane, the zombies are varied, and take on a seriously scary and creepy tone at night. Night and day are split into about an hour of real time, you can hide out at night in a safe house or risk going out for double skill point rewards.. dodgy though.

it's similar to L4D in the respect that there are sprinters and special infected, and that's about it. It's pretty much just you out there doing stuff for other survivors whilst trying to do your main mission (wont spoil it)

Lots of freerunning, i didnt think i'd enjoy it as much as i do, it plays a lot better than it sounds.

Lockpicking is directly ripped from Skyrim, so it's easy if you've played that.

Guns are rare, ammo is just as rare, so you tend to use melee weapons much more, plus guns make noise which attracts zombies.

there's a lot of it that is open world, and i could see people just logging in to smash up zombies for an hour or two after they'd completed the campaign but there are so many hidden things, easter eggs, weird stuff and the raw satisfaction of how good it feels to kick a zombie off a tall building and watch it fall to it's grisly end.

I'd honestly recommend it after playing at least 30 hours so far it's well worth the cash. But check out youtube or twitch for someone playing it from scratch to see if it's what you want to do in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

GPU overheating so dying light put on backburner for a while, ordered 290X to complete the PC so will get back to it.

Playing a lot of Insurgency, its quick and tactical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I started playing Skyrim again recently. I hadn't touched the game in well over a year - sort of felt I had left it too long to continue my old character. As a result I just started a new game and I am enjoying it so far, not trying to rush it this time.

With the right mods, Skyrim is still a fantastic experience. I can't play it unmodded anymore though.

I got the Colonial Charter mod for Banished and find myself finally loving this game as I hoped it would be. I thought the pace of the vanilla game a bit too slow, but with the added stuff in CC, it's opened up a whole lot of interesting opportunities I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am just juggling between world of tanks, wasteland 2 and space engineers. Throw in some Hawking when I feel like pissing someone else with my wee scout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Back playing Wolfenshteen after not playing anything for a while. This is a much longer game than I thought. Just finished
    The prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mostly company of heroes 2 and H1Z1, but of left for dead and planetside 2 in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Playing company of heroes 2 ardennes assault this week. Must say its a massive improvement over COH2.

The use of the metamap, the persistant armies that you can upgrade.. and thats just the start, they have really impressed me with this add-on its well worth the price as a hell of a lot of effort has gone into it.

Lots and lots of Counter-strike

DayZ for the most part, but i started up Birth of the Federation last night as well. Been years, but i still love it. If only they made a sequel.

Divinity Original Sin as well as Fallout New Vegas.

• Advertisement

SWTOR, Homeworld:R and Terraria.

I got a bit fed up with SWTOR and the grindyness of it a while back but I've approached it with a different mentality now and I find it much easier to pick and choose when I need to grind through levels rather than obsessively doing absolutely everything like in my first playthrough.

It's still far from a perfect game and part of me hates it for teasing what KoToR 3 could have been, but it's a pretty good experience on the whole.

For what I've spent on Terraria (I think €2.50) I'm getting incredible mileage. It has a surprising amount of depth and, while you can spend hours chiselling away for blocks for your giant castle you're building, you can also breeze into new parts of the game pretty easily and I'm constantly finding new little features (like floating islands in the sky that contain amazing loot).

Homeworld is great. They've just released the first patch only a week after release and it sounds like they've been really busy at it. They've apparently fixed a load of bugs that slightly tarnished the launch. The multiplayer is months away from being a legitimate multiplayer RTS experience but that was always going to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Lots and lots of Counter-strike

Welcome to my life. :pac:

Diablo 3, Payday 2, Darkest Dungeon, and Game Dev Tycoon.

Darkest Dungeon is my latest purchase, still in early access and really roguelike but it's decent for an early access game. Not bad for 20 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

War Thunder
    Company of Heroes 2
    Red Orchestra 2

and a dabble back into Battefield Bad company 2:D

Advertisement