Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Lpool Match Thread - Sun 31st Aug 1.30 SS1

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

not scrolling so bare with me if its been mentioned already but…
    everything that is wrong with football could be seen with the awarding of that peon today. It was never a pen, yes Dier put his hands on the little diving rat, but he took another step before 'falling' to the ground. His reaction to blatantly cheating is also a disgrace, he should have been told to get up and a goal kick awarded. This is the truth, but you have your Niall Quinn or whoever claiming that he is 'entitled' to go down.. he's not, he's not entitled to cheat. The sooner these sky sports gillys call it like it should be called the better, but they won't because then the players/mangers would get the hump because they are being called cheats and not give them interviews/snippets to broadcast and further commentate upon.
    *rant over*

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

not scrolling so bare with me if its been mentioned already but…
    everything that is wrong with football could be seen with the awarding of that peon today. It was never a pen, yes Dier put his hands on the little diving rat, but he took another step before 'falling' to the ground. His reaction to blatantly cheating is also a disgrace, he should have been told to get up and a goal kick awarded. This is the truth, but you have your Niall Quinn or whoever claiming that he is 'entitled' to go down.. he's not, he's not entitled to cheat. The sooner these sky sports gillys call it like it should be called the better, but they won't because then the players/mangers would get the hump because they are being called cheats and not give them interviews/snippets to broadcast and further commentate upon.
    *rant over*

Dry your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Dry your eyes.

no tears here kid…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

no tears here kid…

Ya have a point Positivenote but we wouldnt rant about it if the tables were turned. We were sh1te today and that needs to be remedied urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Dry your eyes.

Shows you how crap liverpool have become when their fans highlight is coming onto a spurs forum to gloat! Has stevie G got his studs fixed this year? Dont let it slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Shows you how crap liverpool have become when their fans highlight is coming onto a spurs forum to gloat! Has stevie G got his studs fixed this year? Dont let it slip.

well put mushy:D i was looking for a burning comeback myself but dublin and spurs getting destroyed on the same day ruined me for the craic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I have to say penalty aside it was a pretty Dier performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Fairly disappointed but sometimes a loss can be much more important than a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

I thought we were 2nd best all over the park..
    We had no idea how to get through or around Liverpool.
    Hats off to Liverpool though, they were excellent i thought. (kills me to say that).
    TODAY IS GONNA BE VERY INTERESTING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah they were just better. Had Chadli stuck his chance away things may have been different, but their keeper had very little to do overall.

Some of our players were very poor though, which just reminded me of last season. I still don't understand how Rose got a new contract!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

SuprSi wrote: »
    Yeah they were just better. Had Chadli stuck his chance away things may have been different, but their keeper had very little to do overall.

Some of our players were very poor though, which just reminded me of last season. I still don't understand how Rose got a new contract!

Ye just better, just a fukken lot better!

I think we're slowly getting the better of them though....5-0, 4-0, 3-0........slowly getting better!!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The only positive from the game was it showed how weak we are in some positions. Kaboul, Townsend, and most of our players had terrible games. To be honest, no one had a good game, not even Lloris.

Hopefully, it was just a bad day at the office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

I hate to say it but Kaboul looks finished, the injuries have taken their toll. he now resembles the player who signed for us under Jol and not the one we got back from Pompey.
    Eric Dier's performance worried me also, looked like a fish out of water. He's maybe not ready for the big games like Jenkinson across the Seven Sisters a few years ago.
    Capoue had his poorest game I've seen for us too, never took the game by the scruff of the neck. Seemed well off the pace. I actually think we should rethink our tactics when we play a decent side, our set up should be enough to beat 12 EPL teams home and away but we have been found wanting when we step it up in class.
    I hate to say it but we need to sit back at home against the big teams and play on the counter. 0-0 is eminently better than been humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

townsend and Kaboul were awful but our MF were non existent - as for Ade on the wing its a joke.

I would like to see Dier at centre half not Vertonghen who I think is a far better FB despite what he thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

People saying we dont have leaders, we dont give 100% ers, etc etc,..
    Well we got rid of 3 of those type of players this week.
    Dawson , Holtby and Sandro.
    Sandro was a favorite of mine, but his injuries have made my disgust at his departure not sooo bad..but Fcuk me £6m!!!!!
    My point is, them 100%ers are not the answer.
    I read somewhere, that someone somewhere, maybe a Rummenigge or Platini, someone of that era once said about Glenn Hoddle should always be first name on the sheet hes not a luxury player, the others are",

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

The problems on Sunday for me all stemmed from the two deep lying/holding midfielders in Capoue and Bentaleb.
    There is no creativity/passing ability from that duo and the amount of lateral and backwards passing on Sunday emphasised that fact.
    Hopefully two of Stambouli/Dembele/Paulinho make that position their own,because if we have to rely on the former, it will be a long season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hammar wrote: »
    The problems on Sunday for me all stemmed from the two deep lying/holding midfielders in Capoue and Bentaleb.
    There is no creativity/passing ability from that duo and the amount of lateral and backwards passing on Sunday emphasised that

The same tactic worked a treat against qpr .. the back 6 knocking it about, drawing out the opposition and hitting them on the counter but Rodgers was wise to it because Southampton pulled it off against Liverpool last year and he was prepared this time. It wasn't just tactic though.

Our lack of fight and heart was just as bad. Hardly surprising considering 80% of the team is only at the club less than 24 months and those that are there longer then thar are not really wanted. How could any of them form any sort of bond with the club when the place is a revolving door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I thought I'd give my tupunce for what it's worth, now that I've mellowed a bit.

Most of it has been said in the earlier posts, such as Kaboul is past it and also the ball seemed to be passed horizontally rather than vertically (we had 61% possession, yet lost 3-0).

Though the worry for me is that we lack pace throughout the pitch. If I hadn't watched the game, the stat above suggests to me that Liverpool sat back and then hit us with pace on the break - which is exactly what happened. Thus, it was a very simple game and they deserved the win.

The only problem is you can't train pace. Our style of play leaves us open to the counter-attack, yet the only naturally fast player we have at the back is Kyle Walker - I felt this should have been addresses in the transfer window. But we got Fazio instead.

Another worry from the game is that, as we don't have too much pace, we need to be putting pressure on the opposition high up the pitch in order to win a breaking ball and punishing the opposition with dynamic and fast passing. Though, did anyone see much pressing in the Liverpool third? Yes they made two mistakes at the back which put our players through on goal - but they were unforced errors. If we can't maintain a high pressing game in the 3rd match of the season, how will we figure in the 25th match or the 30th?!

Rodgers got his tactics right - sat back, soaked up the pressure and then hit our slow defence on the break.

I'm not going to point fingers or say we're fooked, because we're not. It was our 3rd game. I've given my opinion, now I'll move on.

Come back to me after our 10th game. If the same issues (as above) are still prevalent, then I'll start pointing figures and asking questions.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I thought I'd give my tupunce for what it's worth, now that I've mellowed a bit.

Most of it has been said in the earlier posts, such as Kaboul is past it and also the ball seemed to be passed horizontally rather than vertically (we had 61% possession, yet lost 3-0).

Though the worry for me is that we lack pace throughout the pitch. If I hadn't watched the game, the stat above suggests to me that Liverpool sat back and then hit us with pace on the break - which is exactly what happened. Thus, it was a very simple game and they deserved the win.

The only problem is you can't train pace. Our style of play leaves us open to the counter-attack, yet the only naturally fast player we have at the back is Kyle Walker - I felt this should have been addresses in the transfer window. But we got Fazio instead.

Another worry from the game is that, as we don't have too much pace, we need to be putting pressure on the opposition high up the pitch in order to win a breaking ball and punishing the opposition with dynamic and fast passing. Though, did anyone see much pressing in the Liverpool third? Yes they made two mistakes at the back which put our players through on goal - but they were unforced errors. If we can't maintain a high pressing game in the 3rd match of the season, how will we figure in the 25th match or the 30th?!

Rodgers got his tactics right - sat back, soaked up the pressure and then hit our slow defence on the break.

I'm not going to point fingers or say we're fooked, because we're not. It was our 3rd game. I've given my opinion, now I'll move on.

Come back to me after our 10th game. If the same issues (as above) are still prevalent, then I'll start pointing figures and asking questions.

COYS!

I agree with you about the lack of pace at the back. Surprised we signed so many defenders not known for their pace (Dier, Fazio and Davies), when we intend to play a high tempo high line pressing game.

I think we're more likely to maintain a pressing game in the 25th match than the 3rd because the team will be more used to the system, and also we should have found the best personnel to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Who needs pacey defenders when we have super sweeper keeper Hugo?:D

Our pressing game was phenomenal against a poor QPR and terrible against a very good Liverpool. Hard to read too much into it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Another good article from the author of Spursfanatic.com....

http://www.spursfanatic.com/spurs-result/spurs-0-liverpool-3-quick-transitions-diamond/

Hopefully none of our future opponents are reading it.

Advertisement