Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodforde's Admirals Reserve

Options
  • 25-08-2014 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi I've just bottled my first brew, Cooper's Real Ale. Right from the get go it tasted like flat beer, not great but not unpleasant. So I have high hopes for the beer in a few weeks. I tasted it everytime I took a sample for the SG.

Now inspired by this success I've started a new brew from Woodforde's. This is two cans of extract with a hop enhancement sachet too.

I tasted this when I took the OG - not pleasant at all.

Is the brew doomed?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Probably not.

Ferment it, bottle it, mature it, and if you decide at that point that you're not going to ever drink it and you need the bottles back, then it's doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Thanks Beer, I wasn't going to get rid just yet - just expected it to be not as unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

what do you mean unpleasent.. the hop sachet that comes with those kits can be very bitter some only use half... as TBN says leave it go till bottled ..if in major doubt bottle in 2l water bottles ( less effort and disposable). If its just a roughly beer / bittery taste it will most likely turn around but if its chemically or real eye watering vinegeary then maybe not

what do you mean unpleasent.. the hop sachet that comes with those kits can be very bitter some only use half... as TBN says leave it go till bottled ..if in major doubt bottle in 2l water bottles ( less effort and disposable). If its just a roughly beer / bittery taste it will most likely turn around but if its chemically or real eye watering vinegeary then maybe not

Thanks for getting back. Its difficult to discribe the smell. Its not vinagery and its not chemically.

There's a bit of the usual beer smell and almost a coffeeish after smell.

Hopefully it will come right in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few weeks in the bottle will make all the difference!

• Advertisement

the admirals reserve is a lovely , much more powerful tasting ( malty , fruity etc) than the coopers, so id say you will be happy with it in a few weeks

the admirals reserve is a lovely , much more powerful tasting ( malty , fruity etc) than the coopers, so id say you will be happy with it in a few weeks
    A few weeks in the bottle will make all the difference!

Thanks guys. I suppose after the Coopers Real Ale which has tasted and smelt pretty much like beer from the start, I was expecting similar.

I was looking at CraigTube earlier he said that there's no such thing as bad beer just chill it right down and stick some ice in and you'll be grand.

Thanks guys. I suppose after the Coopers Real Ale which has tasted and smelt pretty much like beer from the start, I was expecting similar.

I was looking at CraigTube earlier he said that there's no such thing as bad beer just chill it right down and stick some ice in and you'll be grand.

Not at all, there are brews you will make that smell woeful form the start. Fermentation and conditioning takes care of an awful lot.

A beer you drink after 4 weeks in the bottle will often taste much better after 8 etc..

Thank you everyone for the support and wise words. I bottled the Admiral's Reserve on Thursday. It smelt and tasted pretty good then.

I've just sampled - I know no patience - the yeasty end of the barrel. Yes I bottle everything that's not sludge. It was pretty good, yeasty obviously, but I'm very pleased with it.

Now my darling wife is saying "We'll have to give a bottle to ... and , and" :mad:

Anyway thanks again folks.

[QUOTE=

Now my darling wife is saying "We'll have to give a bottle to ... and , and" :mad:

Anyway thanks again folks.[/QUOTE]

to which you reply sure ... let me just get my net brew on now so..

• Advertisement

What have I done wrong now.

I sampled the Admirals Reserve after a couple of days. Now the first one I tried was the beginning of the sludge and filled half a screw top wine bottle. Two carb tablets - very pleasant. The next one, also from a screw top wine bottle (I'm a cheapskate) nice but no fizz. Thinks nust have forgotten the carb tabs :o.

A few days latter from screw top wine bottle no fizz. Thinks wine bottles are no good for this job.

Today a screw top wine bottle and a 500ml PET bottle - nice but no fizz whatsoever.

The odd one I can miss but I used near a packet of carb tabs.

So whats gone wrong :(

What have I done wrong now.

I sampled the Admirals Reserve after a couple of days. Now the first one I tried was the beginning of the sludge and filled half a screw top wine bottle. Two carb tablets - very pleasant. The next one, also from a screw top wine bottle (I'm a cheapskate) nice but no fizz. Thinks nust have forgotten the carb tabs :o.

A few days latter from screw top wine bottle no fizz. Thinks wine bottles are no good for this job.

Today a screw top wine bottle and a 500ml PET bottle - nice but no fizz whatsoever.

The odd one I can miss but I used near a packet of carb tabs.

So whats gone wrong :(

The screw top lids could be the issue. Out of interest how long are they bottled?

Edit.. I just read the rest of the posts. Around 2 weeks? What temp were they stored at? 2 carb drops per 500ml pet and wine bottle?

The screw top lids could be the issue. Out of interest how long are they bottled?

Only a week

1 carb in the 500 ml PET
    2 carbs in the 750ml wine bottles

Kept at room temp about 16-18C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Maybe give them more time, I usually give mine at least 2 weeks.

Maybe give them more time, I usually give mine at least 2 weeks.

Too eager then :(

Give them another few days, it is still early enough. Ensure the lids on the PET bottles are fully tightened. From experience they sometimes need a little extra twist. When you squeeze the bottles do they feel soft?

The glass screw top. I'm not sure how airtight the seals would be so can't really comment.

One other thing to do even if in a few weeks they still are not as carved as you like is to get a small plastic syringe.. Stuck up a small amount of beer and spray back into the glass.. Et voila.. Ghetto beer sparkler.. Will put a head on the pint anyway..

Give them another few days, it is still early enough. Ensure the lids on the PET bottles are fully tightened. From experience they sometimes need a little extra twist. When you squeeze the bottles do they feel soft?
    OK thanks will do. I also have a few "keepers" in Grolsch bottles.

They're not "bulging" like the bottle of turbo cider I have going with a Pat Mack cap.

The glass screw top. I'm not sure how airtight the seals would be so can't really comment.
    Yeah I'm starting to wonder too. I did tape up the tops with insulation tape but that probaly hasn't helped much.

Its not so much the head as whilst its nice, I can live without it, more that bit of fizz on the tongue

Thanks again guys :o

The Admiral's Reserve is now a real beaut.

The caps on the PET bottles were not quite tight but I think the main thing was time.

I also think the screw top wine bottles were OK, not ideal but good enough for 4/6 weeks.

If I wasn't such a greedy pig :(

Wonder if I can order a Kg or two of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Thanks again guys :o

The Admiral's Reserve is now a real beaut.

The caps on the PET bottles were not quite tight but I think the main thing was time.

I also think the screw top wine bottles were OK, not ideal but good enough for 4/6 weeks.

If I wasn't such a greedy pig :(

Wonder if I can order a Kg or two of patience.

Be carefull with those wine bottles of you are doing a fizzy brew like a german beer. They aren't designed to hold pressurised liquids. Ive been told never to use them for any beer. Champagne bottles are fine though as are fizzy drinks bottles (if they're stored in the dark as light can spoil a beer)

If you can find patience let me know so we can do a bulk buy, id also settle for some forward planning :-)

Advertisement