Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Gear

• 25-08-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ex runner (46 year old male, 183cm & 95KG) who moved to a road bike a few weeks ago after my left knee gave up. I'm doing 50-60 minute spins a couple of mornings/evenings a week + 90-120 minute spins at the weekend.

I've noticed things cooling down all of a sudden which has me thinking I better get some winter gear but I haven't a clue what to get or where to get the best deals.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what I need and links to where to buy, I'm happy to buy online.

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ex runner (46 year old male, 183cm & 95KG) who moved to a road bike a few weeks ago after my left knee gave up. I'm doing 50-60 minute spins a couple of mornings/evenings a week + 90-120 minute spins at the weekend.

I've noticed things cooling down all of a sudden which has me thinking I better get some winter gear but I haven't a clue what to get or where to get the best deals.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what I need and links to where to buy, I'm happy to buy online.

Cheers,

Ben

Gilet is a good start, not cold enough yet for winter tights but you could pick a set up while they are on sale, arm warmers, leg warmers, windproof / waterproof jacket, !long sleeve jersey, thermal or non thermal. 3\4 length shorts.

Chain reaction have a sale on, Ribble also, Evans, tredz, wiggle, of you search around on Amazon there are also some bargains to be found. Planetx is good for socks, arm warmers and overshoes some bargains on there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Starting at the top:

Beanie Hat
    Winter base layer
    Winter Jacket
    Winter Gloves
    Bib tights
    Neoprene shoe covers

When it comes to clothes, I suggest you go to your LBS and try before you buy. Then when you know what brand and size is for you, you can then order online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

07Lapierre wrote: »
    When it comes to clothes, I suggest you go to your LBS and try before you buy. Then when you know what brand and size is for you, you can then order online.

I wouldn't recommend doing this, in my opinion that is really bad form.

Go to Aldi or Lidl and get some base layers or compression layers, just the vests or jerseys will do. They are cheap and do the job, there is no need to spend a lot of money on base layers.
    Bib tights- I would get unpadded and you can wear your preferred shorts underneath.
    Decent gloves.
    Overshoes.
    Long sleeve jersey.
    Waterproof jacket. (Wiggle's own brand DHB do good quality for the price)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

jinkypolly wrote: »

I agree. I want to support my LBS as they are they guys I'll rely on for servicing etc. I'll go to them for clip on pedals and shoes (suggestions? Shimano SPD's seen the most popular/best value for money?) but they don't have a great selection of clothes so I'll shop online or in Aldi/Lidl for some of the basic stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

jinkypolly wrote: »

Go to Aldi or Lidl and get some base layers or compression layers, just the vests or jerseys will do. They are cheap and do the job, there is no need to spend a lot of money on base layers.
    Bib tights- I would get unpadded and you can wear your preferred shorts underneath.
    Decent gloves.
    Overshoes.
    Long sleeve jersey.
    Waterproof jacket. (Wiggle's own brand DHB do good quality for the price)

Your right, thats not what i meant. What i meant to say was buy your First set of kit in your LBS, then its easier to buy more items on-line, as you will know what brand/size suits you.A badly written post on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I try to support my LBS as much as I can with service, parts, etc but they can't justify charging 50% more for clothing versus an online store. It makes even less sense then when they have limited sizes, range, etc and have to order stuff in anyway.

Base layer - aldi, lidl, etc
    Bib shorts/tights - get a good pair that last and have at least windproofing.
    LS Jersey - windproof and breathable or you'll just sweat loads.
    Jacket - windproof/waterproof for the depths of winter
    Gillet - handy for chilly mornings but where the jacket is too heavy
    Cape - a quick shower appears.
    Sock - I love my sealskinz or else just nice wool ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

good gloves, and good shoe covers are a must.

get yourself a snug to pull up over your mouth/face for the really frost mornings.

think in terms of layers rather than one bulky coat.

wool socks.

i have one of these jackets and recommend it
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-softshell-jacket/

treated myself to a gabba long sleeve this year as well.

the dhb roubaix bib tights are superb as well, lovely and toasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I prefer a LS Jersey and a winter Gilet to a jacket.

Long finger glooves are essential

Merino wool base layer and socks are great.

Good overshoes are hard to come by, so mudguards and wools socks mitigate wet feet.

Also, a single or fixed gear for the winter means less faffin around with cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I would highly recommend a North Face Skull Cap, thin, insulated and goes really tidy under a helmet. I normally wear just a pair of windtex gloves in the winter, for some reason my hands always heat up. Other than that I would recommend the canterbury base layers I've had them with five or so years and they get used every winter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

For rainy/showery days I think I'd prefer to go with a LS compression base layer (already have a few of these from running/golf) with a LS jersey (something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-active-long-sleeve-cycling-jersey) and a high viz rainproof shell like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadra-long-water-resistant-jacket.

On dry sunny but colder days a base layer and something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polaris-niteride-windproof-jersey/ might do the trick?

I also saw http://www.aliexpress.com/category/200003570/cycling.html referenced which seems to do incredibly priced clothing. I've used Chinese sites like www.dx.com to buy electronic gear before but only for cheap and cheerful gadgets and the stuff is almost always functional but low quality. Is Ali Express just a source of knock off/copy "replica" gear which takes 6 weeks to ship or is it actually worth buying clothes and accessories from there?

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BenThere wrote: »
    Is Ali Express just a source of knock off/copy "replica" gear which takes 6 weeks to ship or is it actually worth buying clothes and accessories from there?
    There's a thread on Ali Express here which has good info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'll be wearing this(or a very similar Campag jacket) from October to around April:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-mortirolo-due-jacket/rp-prod88500

Layer up underneath with base layers/Jerseys as needed. Don't buy a cheap jacket. My training partner bought an Aldi one last September and ended up replacing it with the Castelli one above. Waste of money.

I also have Castelli thermal bib tights, full finger gloves and neoprene shoe covers. All essential, not necessarily the brand though.

These bib tights are great:

http://www.bobshop.de/en/Men-s/Cycling-Shorts-Tights/Bib-Tights/CASTELLI-Fluido-Thermal-Bib-Tights-black-oxid.html

I prefer this to a beanie hat:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-viva-thermo-headband-aw14/rp-prod87410

It keeps the ears warm but lets heat out the top of the head when climbing. I do also own a beanie hat, a Campag one, that's for the long flat spins when it's below 5 degrees, so it doesn't get much use.

I do recommend the Aldi base layers though, for all of my brand snobbery, I love my Aldi base layers. I have long and short sleeve ones.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

forgot one bit

only bit of their gear i own, or am likely to own, but without doubt one my my best bits of winter gear

http://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/winter-hat/product/WHT02

absolutely superb, bought on a group buy here, and guaranteed to keep the ears toasty even on the very coldest of mornings. also works on very cold winter nights in thomond park watching rugby. fully tested. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Raphas winter kit is excellent.

Advertisement