Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and advise needed about wheelsets

• 25-08-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello guys.i looking to upgrade my wheelset which has factory wheels on a thompson r7200 road bike.have been riding for a while now and broke couple of spokes.was doing my bike fit and the guy advised to upgrade wheelset if i am looking for faster,more responsive,lighter bike.he advised to get mavic ksyrium one.now...my problem is that i am 115 kg.weight limit on mavics is 100 kg.was reading forums online about that.couldnt find proper answer.budget would be around 400-500 euros hopefully :)))but is it risky to get lower weight limit wheels.thanks for replies.have been cycling for over a year only so pretty amateur here.

so the problem is weight limit on wheelsets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

saranas wrote: »
    Hello guys.i looking to upgrade my wheelset which has factory wheels on a thompson r7200 road bike.have been riding for a while now and broke couple of spokes.was doing my bike fit and the guy advised to upgrade wheelset if i am looking for faster,more responsive,lighter bike.he advised to get mavic ksyrium one.now...my problem is that i am 115 kg.weight limit on mavics is 100 kg.was reading forums online about that.couldnt find proper answer.budget would be around 400-500 euros hopefully :)))but is it risky to get lower weight limit wheels.thanks for replies.have been cycling for over a year only so pretty amateur here.

so the problem is weight limit on wheelsets.

You will most likely get varying advice on this but you are probably best sticking with what you have stock wheels tend to be built for strength to accommodate all comers, the more expensive the wheel the lighter they will be and they will be aimed more at riders looking to gain a few seconds in a race. If it's an itch you have to scratch a set of hand built wheels with some nice hubs will probably see you right for a few years. I have a set of DT Swiss spline 24 wheels they look good on the bike and roll well and are strong. 200 bucks on bike-discount .de.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Maybe look at a set of mavic open pro , you can get a set on ultegra hubs for 400 euro , ideal for your weight and bullet proof

• Registered Users Posts: 32 saranas

Will those mavic open pro's be an upgrade from my factory wheels?i have some Rodi Airline wheels at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭nilhg

I got a set of Swissside Gotthards,

http://www.swissside.com/shop/gotthard-wheelset

Marketed as for the heavier rider and rougher roads (I see the webpage says a rider weight limit of 105kg but that's the same as all their other models so may be a typo, worth emailing them and asking) I've found them great, apart from having to lube up the freehub (5 minutes work) they've been bombproof. Went for them personally cause I wanted the higher spoke count.

thanks very much for suggestions.Just emailed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

I just ordered wheels from www.wheelsmith.co.uk today. Great value and they are handbuilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Will those mavic open pro's be an upgrade from my factory wheels?i have some Rodi Airline wheels at the moment.

Yep they would

got the reply saying they dont recommend going over 105 kg.i know i could loose some weight but i am pretty big all around.6.5 feet to be exact :)damn it.

Craig06 thanks for advice but its too complicated for me ><.wouldnt know where to start if i rang them up.omg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Wont your 115kg body weight be distributed over the two wheels and therefore neither wheel will be overloaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

In my experience, I'd go handbuilts all the way. I'm 95 kg and have Mavic open pros and H+Son wheels on ultegra hubs and they're both bulletproof.

I've a mate about your weight using 36 hole open pros on ultegra hubs for the last few years with no issues at all. He had trashed a few factory wheel sets before the handbuilts got him sorted. Andy in Stagg cycles in Lucan built mine up and was a gent to deal with. Worked out about €300 for mine so with your budget you could go dura ace hubs which would be lovely.

On a slightly related topic, for us bigger lads, I've found 25mm tyres great too, no loss in speed and big improvement in comfort. (If they'll fit your frame!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Speak to a good wheel builder.

Tell him your weight, road conditions, riding style, type of cycling etc.

With choice of a strong rim(another vote for hplus son here), strong spoke, high spoke count and lacing pattern he can reccommned and build a wheel for you.

You could also try

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-hub-on-mavic-open-pro-rim-59395.html

Rose have a large selection of trekking wheels/wheelsets (some of which have front dynamo which you don't want I presume) but use much stronger and heavier rims and 36 spoke builds.

Even under road wheels they have this

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/road-wheel-set-28700c-mavic-open-pro--shimano-105-5800/aid:401809

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/road-wheel-set-28700c-mavic-open-pro--shimano-ultegra-6800/aid:716718

Have two rose built wheels which have been trouble free(other than lbs shearing cable on dynamo!)

Your a big man, get wheels for a big man, not wheels built for nobody in particular with bean counting getting priority over reliability/servicability

Anyone knows a wheelbuilder around Kerry if there is one?I am from Killarney myself.

nilhg wrote: »
    I got a set of Swissside Gotthards,

http://www.swissside.com/shop/gotthard-wheelset

Marketed as for the heavier rider and rougher roads (I see the webpage says a rider weight limit of 105kg but that's the same as all their other models so may be a typo, worth emailing them and asking) I've found them great, apart from having to lube up the freehub (5 minutes work) they've been bombproof. Went for them personally cause I wanted the higher spoke count.

Did you order them from the Swissside website, what was their service like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭nilhg

paulgs wrote: »
    Did you order them from the Swissside website, what was their service like?

Yeah, ordered them direct from their website, wheels were delivered a few days later, they came with a Shimano freehub fitted, but there was a note inside saying that an upgraded freehub had been supplied and a link to a video on how to fit it.

http://vimeo.com/71167275 Wrong link.

http://vimeo.com/58276550 Correct link

Very happy so far, long term durability remains to be seen but I suppose that applies to everything we buy.

nilhg wrote: »
    Yeah, ordered them direct from their website, wheels were delivered a few days later, they came with a Shimano freehub fitted, but there was a note inside saying that an upgraded freehub had been supplied and a link to a video on how to fit it.

http://vimeo.com/71167275

Very happy so far, long term durability remains to be seen but I suppose that applies to everything we buy.

They have a set of Heidi shadow wheels for 269 only 1589 grams look good to with the red hubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ratbike

i have been running a set of mavic kysriums eclipse for about 6000 km no problems also 95kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Craig06 thanks for advice but its too complicated for me ><.wouldnt know where to start if i rang them up.omg.

I got mine from Wheelsmith. The guy is dead sound. Don't be afraid of giving him a buzz. He's happy to talk bikes.

You tell him how heavy you are, what bike you've got and what kind of riding you do.
    He'll recommend hubs, spoke count, lacing pattern, rims.

Top guy and great wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Derek at Wheelsmith will ask you your weight anyway when ordering wheels to make sure they are built up to handle it. The wheels I ordered are a max of 80kg but thats just because they are carbon rims and can overheat when breaking on long descents if you are heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I got 36 spoke wheels built here on Royce hubs. I'm about 75 kg and snail slow.
    http://www.harryrowland.co.uk/

• Advertisement

thanks everyone for suggestions.

hello all.thought i should end this topic by letting u know about my new wheels finally.just got them in.went for a mavic open pro rims with ultegra hubs and 36 spokes.i am still around 110-115 kg in weight so those should be safe :).guy in local store built them for me here in Killarney.paid 290 for them.had a budget of 500 but he suggested those i should go for.cool since i had money left for my new fizik shoes :)))so there u go.thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

wow. I came on here looking for advice on upgrading my wheels and you answered my question. Im in kerry as well. who did them for you? :)

wow. I came on here looking for advice on upgrading my wheels and you answered my question. Im in kerry as well. who did them for you? :)

ha ha nice one.got them from Denis in little big bike shop down in woodlawn road.little slow but had them after all :).the new shop opposite lidl does wheels as well but they are expensive.great quality of course though i think.shop looks very professional.asked in osullivans in town but they dont build.just sell wheels.there u go.hope it helps a bit.

Advertisement