Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Helicopter Meelick

• 25-08-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Garda Helicopter up by woodcock hill for the last ten mins searching. Anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Some ball of search and rescue up there. Driving by the house in quads n everything.

Jesus. Never thought it was easy to get lost there to the point where the Gardai have to step in. First for everything I suppose

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Was thinking the same myself. How far can you walk without seeing a house? Anyway, all safe and home, so happy ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would just assume you'd walk down the hill and eventually find civilisation.

I have been up mountains myself and once lost my way in thick fog on Galtymore and would consider myself an infrequent mountain walker/hiker.

It surely takes a lot to finally make a decision to call the emergency services though.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself. How far can you walk without seeing a house? Anyway, all safe and home, so happy ending.

To be fair mark, i live up by there and at night you literally cant see your hand in front of your face at night. Couple that with a distressed family and especially small kids, I can see how panic would have set in.

cronin_j wrote: »
    To be fair mark, i live up by there and at night you literally cant see your hand in front of your face at night. Couple that with a distressed family and especially small kids, I can see how panic would have set in.

Years since I've camped up there, and with the kids, you're right, better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I bivvied in that wood. It's fairly thick, particularly at the end of the summer. Nice to see level headedness and sensible posting on this thread. Wait till the after hours get in to it.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I bivvied in that wood. It's fairly thick, particularly at the end of the summer. Nice to see level headedness and sensible posting on this thread. Wait till the after hours get in to it.

Thats it.. people think of that wood and they only think of the cratloe wood entrance with the nice tarmac road. The back part of that wood where you access from Woodcock hill is a very different story.

woods1_zps648202c2.png

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    Thats it.. people think of that wood and they only think of the cratloe wood entrance with the nice tarmac road. The back part of that wood where you access from Woodcock hill is a very different story.

woods1_zps648202c2.png

Anywhere like that is hard to get out of even with a compass - dense barriers, meandering watercourses, nothing to take a bearing off (unless you're some tree climber!) and darkness encroaching. Following a river out can be tough when some can just disappear in to soft ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Would anyone of you guys know if the family will receive a bill from the services that went out to look for them?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Would anyone of you guys know if the family will receive a bill from the services that went out to look for them?
    Thanks

No

Thanks Testicle - I never imagined ever saying something like that before.
    May I ask if you know this for a fact?
    The reason I ask is because of this:
    http://www.eccbelgie.be/images/downloads/03%20-%20Costs%20rescue%20operations%20in%20Europe.pdf

Page 5 will bring up Ireland.

Thanks

Hopefully they won't, because if the do, we've hit rock bottom as a nation!

They won't get charged. Nor should they get charged. He exhausted every avenue before calling it in. The last thing we need is people not calling rescue on land or at sea for fear of a charge.

Best thing we can all do is donate. I'd imagine that gentleman that was rescued will be donating. I donate to the RNLI. I'm out in the water every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

http://www.eccbelgie.be/images/downloads/03%20-%20Costs%20rescue%20operations%20in%20Europe.pdf

It says on the doc you attached that there's no charge for calling out the coastguard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Read the last column there like a good chap, the one that coincidentally refers to being lost in a forest.

testicle wrote: »
    Read the last column there like a good chap, the one that coincidentally refers to being lost in a forest.

What's that for?
    I only asked a question.

We know from that document that the Coast guard don't charge for rescues at sea, as the document states: "There is no charge for the cost of a call out of the Coastguard which is responsible for emergency rescues at sea."

We know from the document that: "Ireland is not a heavily forested country so it is unlikely that such a situation would arise."

We also know that: "in the context of being lost in a forest, as in the case of being lost on a mountain, local mountain rescue services are called. These are run on a voluntary basis and do not charge for their services."

Now, from what we know of the incident is that the rescue was not carried out at sea and it was not conducted by a squad of mountain rescue volunteers.

Is it possible to see where my original question emerged from?

I asked if you knew if it for fact when you replied with a simple "no" and hadn't furnished any other information to accompany your reply.

I would not like to see the family face a bill, yet, I feel it is a legitimate question, as it was a scenario that fell outside that of the ones described above.

That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

they went to pick mushrooms and probably picked the wrong type,thought they were in yellowstone national park untill the effects wore off,by then it was dark and foggy.glad they re ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement