Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cheapest place for buying fruit and veg in or near Cork City?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

A lot of towns that I know have their own dedicated fruit and veg shops.
    Buy this or that in bulk for a cheaper cost.
    Are there any cheap fruit and veg shops in Cork City or even in any of cork suburban areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I know a green grocer who delivers based in Douglas, that suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Con's Fruit and Veg Shop on Bandon Road by the credit union does good quality veg for cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Lidl or Aldi, without a doubt. Excellent quality fresh fruit and veg and with special offers that no other grocer can compete with. The Bays are having galia melon for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the moment with the 39c offer in Aldi!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Defo Aldi but id not be too happy with lidl veg or fruit it doesn't last very long.. Thanks for the tip off with the deal on with the fruit going go shop now yeppee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

There a good fruit veg (and other things too like cakes breads ) in Dosco industrial estate on the back Douglas road . I think it's called fresh 4 you . They also have a good selection of frozen fruits , for example gooseberries which are hard to get .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I that the 25 euro box from organic republic? I got them for a little while as well, but the stuff was mostly imported from all over the place and quite often it was gone off. I wouod much prefer local produce to imported, but they didn't do that at all.

Where delivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ianol89

ciaradx wrote: »
    Con's Fruit and Veg Shop on Bandon Road by the credit union does good quality veg for cheap enough.

That's perfect. It's on my commute into the city.

pwurple wrote: »
    I that the 25 euro box from organic republic? I got them for a little while as well, but the stuff was mostly imported from all over the place and quite often it was gone off. I wouod much prefer local produce to imported, but they didn't do that at all.

Where delivers?

Really, that is a shame why import. I would have though it was locally sourced as well. Thanks for the tip was just thinking I should start it..but ne I must say I got into buying some of the frozen veg like cauliflour, broccoli and beans in Aldi as we just don't use them fast enough when we buy them fresh (it isn't soup making weather yet) and they are just as nice as the fresh ones

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cate3may

ianol89 wrote: »
    That's perfect. It's on my commute into the city.

Hi
    Was just wondering what you thought of Con's shop?
    I'm also looking, Aldi is good for some things and now they have things like kale as well, but sometimes looking for more variety.
    Can't always get to the English market (and can be quite expensive) its a pity there are no sunday markets close to the city.

Thanks
    Cate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Milly33 wrote: »
    Defo Aldi but id not be too happy with lidl veg or fruit it doesn't last very long.. Thanks for the tip off with the deal on with the fruit going go shop now yeppee

Really? I find it's the opposite! Aldi fruit & veg quality is very hit and miss, and never seems to last long. Lidl is much better in terms of choice and quality.

Other than potatoes, I don't touch Dunnes. Very expensive and crap quality. Tesco's - ditto. But I don't even touch the spuds in there!!

Perhaps It depends what you pick up in them.. Lidl are in the bad books anywho for some dodgy cray fish.

Cons is good in fairness he does have a good Varity up there, and he does delivery only thing you would want to check that some of the fruit doesn't get squashed or bruised or that it is still good.. But calling in you get to pick your own sure you see what you get

Advertisement