Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half-Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

ran last year.. .... defo not worth the two and a half hour trip in the car to get there... the top was nice if your in to tops .. but as a race overrated..

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

ran last year.. .... defo not worth the two and a half hour trip in the car to get there... the top was nice if your in to tops .. but as a race overrated..

Uh oh...I'm doing the 2 and a half hour drive for this. Hope its better than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Why did you think it was overrated?

Haven't signed up yet and still flip-flopping between this and Galway Bay Half and the new Cork 10 miler

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Heat was a killer last year in fairness.
    Beautiful day and well run race, but was take note, the course may be flat enough when it comes to hills, but its by no means level. There are a few long drags in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

It's not pancake flat but it's definitely a fast course and should have a pretty deep field - was very well organised and had a really good atmosphere in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

I was considering this race but it's 40 euro plus booking fee. That's absolutely crazy. Most ten milers are 15-20 euro so how can 40 for a half marathon be acceptable? It is going up to 45e next week + booking fee will make it around 47e to enter if you are late getting in. It's a pity that Blarney isn't on because that has been my preference in the past and you could enter for 20e on the day. I hate paying out weeks or months before the event because I've been caught out too many times with my money going to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Easy there Hawley, I seem to remember a bit of a backlash on here last year when price increases were queried :eek:
    The number of participants this year will let us know what the public think of the
    race , one way or the other.
    I've run it the past two years and found it a well organised race with a monster feed at the end.

Mr.W

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Why did you think it was overrated?

Haven't signed up yet and still flip-flopping between this and Galway Bay Half and the new Cork 10 miler

a lot of online hype about this race last year. and loads of advertising (not as much this year) like other posters it is not as flat as advertised . a few long drags especially in the 2nd half... i remember some problem with the the spilt times as well. .. i was just disappointed with the race in general .. and nearly every local race has a spread of food afterwards if thats your thing ..

a lot of online hype about this race last year. and loads of advertising (not as much this year) like other posters it is not as flat as advertised . a few long drags especially in the 2nd half... i remember some problem with the the spilt times as well. .. i was just disappointed with the race in general .. and nearly every local race has a spread of food afterwards if thats your thing ..

Cheers for getting back....might give this a miss altogether....hadn't realised the price was so exorbitant and won't be 100% sure of my availability on the day for another couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Based on last year's thread the organisers will defend the cost of entry due to the fact that it is AIMS certified.
    I'm not sure that really matters to most people but they seem to place a large emphasis on it.

Personally, I am looking for a half that week so it suits me to do it but would probably skip it due to the events either side of it which will be just as well organised ie Cork 10 miler and Cork to Cobh 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I'm very disappointed to read bad reviews here, from last year's thread I thought this looked like a good option. Has anyone here ever done this and the Dublin half in the Phoenix park? I've to chose between the two,it's a long drive to both for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Charleville Intl Half Marathon

We don't really mind when people provide constructive criticism of a particular aspect of the race but the above posts have failed to identify any one aspect which has not lived up to what was advertised ....... but at the same time complained simply because they didn't want to pay the entry fee.... We have demonstrated time and again why our event is better quality than most, but those who fail to appreciate real quality often miss all the small things that add up to provide this.

Also, as a small voluntary athletics club, it takes a massive amount of time and resources to organise what is a fundraiser for our club and to give something back to the St Josephs Foundation for people with Special Needs who help us with facilities throughout the year. In previous years we had a lower entry fee but were only breaking even and as numbers increased we took on extra risk to pay for t-shirts, food, road closures in 2 counties and all other costs involved in such an event. This is a BIG risk for a small club to take on but we do so because we want to offer an event which is actually of better quality than most. We challenge anyone to point to events which offer all the quality aspects that we do that really matter to runners!

The quality of the event is borne out by the fact that;
    1. Year on year we have had bigger and bigger numbers of entrants (from 400 to 800 in just 3 years)
    2. The top athletes who are on form come from far and wide to compete. Most don't even ask about the prizes - they are actually mostly just impressed with the race itself.
    3. Experienced club runners are prominent entrants in our event, indicating they identify the quality of our event. They aren't the kind of runners that enter just any event.

So, again, we welcome all constructive criticism. However, I would ask you to consider that this is a 100% voluntary effort by our club so try to be a bit fair and give a more balanced criticism. The price is as fair as we can make it. I'd be interested to see if the above posters level the same level of proportional criticism at commercially organised events or is it that clubs are expected to not get anything from organising these events? Do the above posters think that we can make athletics and distance running sustainable in the long term and maintain a decent quality event with no reasonable finances to hand???? Are the above posters involved in athletics coaching/promotion/race organisation or any other role on a voluntary basis putting something back into the sport???

Everyone's opinion is welcome and people are welcome to a bit of banter etc but the reality is that often this kind of ANONYMOUS criticism is damaging to those who are working hard for the sport with no personal reward. We are willing to compete with the commercial events but often it seems we are expected to not charge for the same, if not better quality events!!!
    Please take a minute before throwing out unconsidered, unbalanced and unqualified opinion. Don't just make an unqualified or unconsidered superficial judgement.

We have proven that we are willing to do the kind of work that most other events don't want to do in order to promote the sport and bring some attention to it. How many other small-club events put together a competitive field with such depth as we do without offering any financial assistance to the athletes? e.g. see our elite athlete line-up this year!
    A lot of hurlers on the ditch complain about falling standards in Irish distance running but how many do something about it?

If you believe in participating in supporting a real running race of high quality and want to support a voluntary athletics club who organises it and at the same time donates significantly to a worthy charity, then come to Charleville! You can choose the cheaper poor-quality events but you will pay for what you get. You can choose the more expensive commercial events with all the bells and whistles but you still won't feel like you ran in a real race. Real Runners choose the quality of Charleville designed for runners who want to run faster and for runners who want to enjoy a nice flat course that allows for easy pacing on good roads. see charleville half dot com for more info and registration! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed to read bad reviews here, from last year's thread I thought this looked like a good option. Has anyone here ever done this and the Dublin half in the Phoenix park? I've to chose between the two,it's a long drive to both for me.

Yip I've done both...Did the Dublin half about 4 yrs ago before Charleville started...while I enjoyed the Dublin Half and think its well run I would definitely prefer Charleville based on a few things; When I line up in Charleville I feel most people are there for business i.e.its their A goal...its long straight roads through the countryside makes it easy to run the racing line..no hills as such and a very good running surface...in general very professionally run. Unless you get very warm weather you have very little excuses on this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Thanks Tipp man I'm going to sign up tomo. Looking forward to it.

welcome to boards charlevill half .. as i already said .... ran last year.. .... defo not worth the two and a half hour trip in the car to get there... the top was nice if your in to tops .. but as a race overrated..

i am a club runner "a real runner" as you say

.. i'm train kids, i organize two local races in kilkenny for fund raising so i fully understand the finances involved.. i tick all your boxes ... and i avoid the money grabbing for profit events ......... but your attitude to the above posters (as you call them) is condescending.. on boards you have to take be able to take good with the bad. any way best of luck with the half ..i hope you raise loads of cash for your club!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

How are the special Elite Places funded? I read on the Charleville Half Website that Elite Athletes can be sponsored with accommodation and meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

for whats its worth, I ran this last year. Ran badly, but found it very well run event.... I will run it again in 2 weeks time, hopefully a good deal quicker!

welcome to boards charlevill half .. as i already said .... ran last year.. .... defo not worth the two and a half hour trip in the car to get there... the top was nice if your in to tops .. but as a race overrated..

i am a club runner "a real runner" as you say

.. i'm train kids, i organize two local races in kilkenny for fund raising so i fully understand the finances involved.. i tick all your boxes ... and i avoid the money grabbing for profit events ......... but your attitude to the above posters (as you call them) is condescending.. on boards you have to take be able to take good with the bad. any way best of luck with the half ..i hope you raise loads of cash for your club!
    At the end of the day there is very little difference between most half marathons for runners. Nearly all ten mile/hm races have chip timing, a few water points, a t-shirt and a post-race buffet. The majority of the 800plus runners wouldn't care if there are any elite athletes running on the day, they are only interested in how they get along and having a nice day out. I ran this race in 2012 but the price has gone up since and I generally avoid the more expensive races. The course is grand, it is not very "fast" in my opinion more in the mid-range of events with a quick first five miles and a few tough ones at the end. There is a lot of hype surrounding the race every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Gonna have to admit the defensive attitude and over the top response by the organiser has really put me off this race....

Blah blah blah

I'm a club runner who is also heavily involved in race organisation but not doing the Global International Charleville Half Marathon....does that make me a real runner?? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think anyone who regularly participates and/or organises races appreciates the huge effort and sacrifice that goes in to holding an event.

Now and again, these people might express an opinion that the price being charged for that effort and sacrifice is a bit expensive. I think you need to take that criticism on the chin, suck it up and hope that enough people turn up on the day to make the event a success. Getting up on your hyperbolic high horse isn't very appealing and isn't really going to solve anything.

Anyway, best of luck to all doing this, can't make it this year but might have a crack next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I have absolutely no affiliation with orgainsing club but a key factor that is not been taken into consideration of the cost with the race is the fact the roads are officially closed.
    Is it fair to compare this race against races that dont have full closure ?
    Whats the cost of the National Half or Limerick/Cork city Half Marathons ?

I'm looking forward to running the race despite finding the organiser's comments very defensive. I understand that Charleville are selling the very fast flat course, deep elite field, value etc. It's probably a little easier to have roads closed in Charleville than in Limerick or Cork. Then again the Connemara half essentially closes one of Connemara's most important roads and the race director has integrated this into cost/race day organisation ec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

i ran this race last year. The heat absolutely killed me and i ended up walking towards the end. I found it extremely well organised, had shower facilities after the race. I liked the t shirt. I think it ticks all the boxes.
    However, i do agree with a previous poster - i don't think its as fast a course as say the Athlone half or maybe even Tullamore half. I completed the Tullamore half two weeks ago, it had everything that Charleville had as well and was really well organised. No road closures though, it cost 25 euro. Well worth it.

How are the special Elite Places funded? I read on the Charleville Half Website that Elite Athletes can be sponsored with accommodation and meals.
    Who do you think funds them? Looking at the website, elite athletes seem to get free entry, free accommodation and free meals. Maybe that's why the costs have increased for everyone else. Having ran the Blarney and Clonmel hm's in the past and heard good reports about Tullamore I'd say that they are on a par with Charleville but entry fees for these races are far lower. Basically people seem to be paying a premium in order to subsidise elite athletes.

I've only ran Kinvara, Galway Bay half, Connemara half, River Moy. It seems like the marathons in the Midlands and Dublin offer better value. Perhaps Charleville get sponsorship to have the elite athletes down? Maybe some local hotel(s) or B&B(s) give some rooms as sponsorhip? Still I'm looking forward to Charleville and my first half marathon in Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

If you believe in participating in supporting a real running race of high quality and want to support a voluntary athletics club who organises it and at the same time donates significantly to a worthy charity, then come to Charleville! You can choose the cheaper poor-quality events but you will pay for what you get. You can choose the more expensive commercial events with all the bells and whistles but you still won't feel like you ran in a real race. Real Runners choose the quality of Charleville designed for runners who want to run faster and for runners who want to enjoy a nice flat course that allows for easy pacing on good roads. see charleville half dot com for more info and registration! :)

For what its worth I have already signed up to this event this year. I ran it the first year and found it to be a decent event, flat enough course to give an attempt at a PB.

However, I find the above statement the biggest load of TRIPE I have ever seen. I am almost sorry I have already signed up. I am still not clear what Charleville organisers seem to be imagining makes their event so high and mighty. Its a flat half marathon, with a bit of grub afterwards. I couldnt care less if Fr.WishyWashy runs the race or if Mo Farah takes part. Its not like I am going to see them or anything.

"You pay for what you get" is pure cr*p. I have and will run in many races that are every bit as good as Charleville HM and will pay on a par or less in most cases.
    Real Runners choose the quality of Charleville designed for runners who want to run faster

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Good interview here with the race director Michael Herlihy by John Desmond

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2014/09/q-with-michael-herlihy-race-director-of.html

viperlogic wrote: »
    Good interview here with the race director Michael Herlihy by John Desmond

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2014/09/q-with-michael-herlihy-race-director-of.html

Just two points that I picked up from the interview with John Desmond.

1. "I ended up flying to Milan and Berlin for half-marathons to run against athletes I didn’t know in fields that were dominated by Kenyans just to try to run fast times."

Obviously he has a huge desire to run good times and probably wants to compete at a high level, but the majority of the people in the race are not at his level. Most people want to do as well as they can on the day but it's a hobby, we are not going to make any money from it. If someone does decide to run abroad it's usually just to experience something different.

2."Some don’t like the idea of big prize money being given to the winning athletes but usually these people are unaware of the link between the inspiration that our top runners provide to young athletes in clubs around the country and the need to provide this inspiration to ensure that young athletes stay in the sport."

It seems that he is handing out a lot in cash prizes. Most hms of this size would only give about 250 euro to the winner but I saw on the cork running blog that the winners got 700 euro in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

[RANT]So its a bad idea to hand out good prize money to some of our top athletes who get massive grants and make a very decent living from the sport or allow a club who have serious amounts on money in buried their bank accounts get more money.

No we would all rather run the high 5 look at me Commercial all sing and all dance event for the same cost where very little if any funds go back to juvenile development.[/RANT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Maybe just keep the defensive rethoric to a minimum and enhance the part about fundraising for an athletic track? Thats something that all runners, club runners or not, can understand.
    Be nice to have a proper running track in North cork that all local clubs could use.

Advertisement