Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half-Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

The race director, in his interview with John, bemoans the lack of quality in races here. So he has to head off to European races instead to find quality and competition. Not exactly statistically strong but I've just checked back over the Ballycotton 10 mile results back to 2008 - the race director is not to be seen anywhere in any of these races. Is Ballycotton not high quality enough? Surely a trip to a 10 miler like this within your own county would greatly mitigate against the expenses of going for the same thing in Europe and he would be helping promote quality in the race. I know he may have been stewarding, volunteering etc at these races but surely not every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Charleville Intl Half Marathon

Anyone who is interested in getting a good idea of what the Charleville International Half-Marathon event is actually like, just look at the post race reviews/reactions from previous years of our race.

I will just correct some factual inaccuracies of some of the posts above - considering the level of conjecture that is off the mark;
    1. The Charleville Park Hotel provide the room and meals for a limited number of elite athletes - no race money is directly invested in supporting the athletes attendance at the race. The hotel wouldn't be able to provide any other type of sponsorship.
    2. We have an International licence which we paid for so as to help provide Irish athletes with better competition from abroad in Ireland. These athletes from abroad spend their own money to travel here. We see this as doing something positive for our sport.
    3. The athletes who attend our race are of a high standard but aren't of the standard that they receive grants - this is publicly available information if people want to check it.
    4. Prize money is there to be won by anyone in the race who is willing to train hard and long enough to win it. A basic idea of athletics/sport is to reward effort and dedication and we hold these characteristics up as positive characteristics to our athletes. There are events that don't do this and runners can choose to participate in those also and they will probably be cheaper to enter because of less risk and cost involved.

Our race stands for more than just putting on an event for the masses because as an athletics club we see a responsibility to contribute to competitive athletics in Ireland, therefore there is greater cost and risk involved in our event. We also think we are entitled to get something from our efforts for organising the event, rather than just breaking even as we did in the first year or two of the event. People are welcome to disagree with this and we welcome any constructive argument against this. We also welcome anyone who wants to praise us for taking such risks for the betterment of competitive athletics and for the betterment of the sport overall :)

I think its good that runners have a choice between
    1. events that are low cost and more participation orientated,
    2. events that are commercially orientated that offer all the entertainment, medals, bands, bells and whistles at a higher cost,
    3. our type of event which aims to offer a quality competitive athletics event at medium cost.

People have a great choice of events these days compared to even just 10 years ago.
    Enjoy the choice lads! Enjoy the variety that our sport offers to runners of all levels of ability.
    Its great that our sport is so inclusive and that there isn't bias towards just competitive or just participation as you see in other sports.
    Keep it positive & constructive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

2. The top athletes who are on form come from far and wide to compete. Most don't even ask about the prizes - they are actually mostly just impressed with the race itself.
    ! :)
    So, if the top athletes don't even ask about prizes and are so desperate to compete in an event where there is a strong field what is the need for such a large prize fund? Also. should said athletes be given free entry which in reality is being subsidised by the rest of the field. The majority of the field constitutes club runners and fun runners, housewives in their 30s and 40s etc. Why should they be asked to subsidise "elite runners". I think this kind of elitism creates a two tier system at the race. Elite runners are given free accommodation, free meals, free entry and get big prize money while the rest including good local club runners are there just to make up the numbers on the day. Most elite runners in Ireland do well enough from community/club races where the prize money is a subvention to their working income. Most runners would know by the age of 22 whether or not they can make it as a professional. There is not much scope for full time athletes in this country and I presume that most of the elite will also be in employment.
    If you want to raise money for the club there are numerous other ways of doing so but maybe you might raise as much if you cut the winner's purse to 150/200 euro. Obviously the club is entitled to turn a profit on the day but in my opinion this race now charges the same rates as commercial races and excludes many people from partaking on the day.

I agree with the previous poster - cut the prize money to 150 or 200 euros and you'll very quickly see how even the sweetners of free hotel, free meals, free entry, free hotel shuttle etc won't bring the elites down.

To expand on what the previous poster said: the elites are getting plenty of prize money week in and week out winning small community/club races where there is little or no competition for them. Would it not be better for the club to focus on growing an interest in athletics and running in North Cork rather than trying to build some type of special elite race where ordinary decent club runners are merely there to pay the bills for the top 10 men and women.

I am annoyed by the Race Director's responses but I'm entered now. Charleville is just an hour's drive from my home. Why am I entering? I'm just a 1-35 half guy but I'm entering for a well organised half marathon close to home. I couldn't care less how many elites show up. I do care that part of my entry fee is indirectly going into their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are these complaints for real?. Too much prize money? Too far away? As the RD pointed out - there's plenty of choice out there. If you don't like it go do some other race. Crazy complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

I know, it's nuts; they could come and do the Tralee Half - it's only 50 Euro. But there's a good chance they won't be able to get their medal and banana because they'll get killed on the road out to Ardfert.

The Tralee 10k (no T-shirt and the roads weren't closed) cost 26.50. How somebody wasn't killed going up the Caherslee Road was beyond me.

The Charleville Half has already developed a great reputation and more of these races are needed to lift the level of competition/standard in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Fair play Krusty and Stazza for brining some objective reason to the thread. I think Charleville areto be congratulated for trying to promote senior athletics proactively rather than just complaining about the state of things(like I do:)). If your not happy with a race choose another or set up your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

The vast majority of races offer a free entry to elite athletes. Most would give petrol money also. I cannot see how anyone could begrudge an athlete some decent prize money when you consider how hard they train. I've seen golfers in this country finishing 46th in a tournament and picking up 40000 euro. They can do that every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Have to agree, while I would never personally dream of paying €45 to enter a race, it's good to see a race trying to put a little into the elite running scene in Ireland, nothing wrong with top runners earning good money from race and if you don't like the price, then simply don't enter and find a different race.

Are these complaints for real?. Too much prize money? Too far away? As the RD pointed out - there's plenty of choice out there. If you don't like it go do some other race. Crazy complaints.
    1.Yes2.Yes, in my opinion there is too much prize money being given out. The winners got 700 euro each in 2012 with fewer numbers entering, so the winners purse could possibly be 1000 euro now(it doesn't give it on the website). Giving the top 8 in each sex a cash prize is a bit much and all these positions are likely to be filled by elite athletes who got all the free entry, hotel, meals etc.
    3.Where does anyone say that the race is too far away?

I just happen to think that 45 euro is excessive for a provincial hm(Dublin hm on the same day is 20 euro). Do Clonmel, Tullamore etc. give free entry plus perks to elite athletes. I don't believe that most races do. Does anyone seriously believe that the elites aren't attracted by the huge pot on offer and if the hotel are giving free board to runners it negates the potential for any pecuniary embellishment to the club, therefore this is another cost burden for the majority.. It seems that the organiser wants to promote the race as an elite event but he shouldn't forget that it's the middle-aged housewives who are keeping athletics alive in this country.

• Advertisement

hawley wrote: »
    1.Yes2.Yes, in my opinion there is too much prize money being given out. The winners got 700 euro each in 2012 with fewer numbers entering, so the winners purse could possibly be 1000 euro now(it doesn't give it on the website). Giving the top 8 in each sex a cash prize is a bit much and all these positions are likely to be filled by elite athletes who got all the free entry, hotel, meals etc.
    3.Where does anyone say that the race is too far away?
    1. Ridiculous.
    2. Don't do it.
    3. "It's not worth the 2.5 hour trip in the car to get there".

1. Ridiculous.
    2. Don't do it.
    3. "It's not worth the 2.5 hour trip in the car to get there".

1.Why ridiculous? I'm not going to write it all again but in my opinion we are all paying for their excessive prize money and it's not as if these runners don't take part in races in Ireland and that they need to be attracted into the country in order to inspire Irish kids.
    2.I'm still undecided on this
    3.That point was made in relation to the race being billed as the fastest hm in the country. The poster was giving advice to the OP, basically said that he didn't feel that it was correct and that it wouldn't be worthwhile for someone to travel across the country believing it to be a such as fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I just happen to think that 45 euro is excessive for a provincial hm

It is not a provincial Half Marathon it is an International Half Marathon. This requires a completely different permit from AAI which is ten times the cost of your standard club race permit.
    For such a race to hold any sort of credibility on the international stage they have to offer decent prize money, invite and put up the top runners. Yes us the participants further down the field ultimately pay/fund this. While some couldn't care less about who runs at the top end of these fields I think North Cork are to be applauded it trying to add a race of depth and quality to the Irish Road Racing scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

A closed mouth catches no flies

1.Why ridiculous?
    I probably shouldn't bother as the same basic point seems not to be gathering any traction but...
    we are all paying for their excessive prize money
    Only if you choose to enter the race. If you do not, then you are not paying for anything. Charleville are selling a product. Just like a mobile phone, if you don't like the features, don't buy it.
    2.I'm still undecided on this
    Your 'decision' is irrelevant. This is how this race organizer has chosen how to structure 'their' race.
    it wouldn't be worthwhile for someone to travel across the country
    Most races that are a 2.5 hour drive away are considered not worth travelling to, by somebody. It's not useful feedback. It translates to 'the race is too far to travel to'. In the interest of openness and honesty, I have never done Charleville Half marathon, as I believe that Athlone is the flag bearer for value for money when it comes down to price, product, and quality. I may do Charleville some year, particularly if I ever get to that sub 74 mark (unlikely), but I reckon that Charleville have their work cut out for them, to offer a better product than Athlone does. Have you done Athlone HM hawley - or is it just not worthwhile for someone to travel across the country for it?

Also, in the interests of openness and honesty, do you have any associations with rival clubs or rival races in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

What a bizzare thread.

A half marathon for €40. Seems fair enough. Showers at the end, goody bag, facilities etc.

Remind me the price of the R'N'R somebody?

Lots of people travel to soulless kips on the continent like rotterdam and shell out way more.

Frankly the organiser is well justified saying two words to the criticism, rather than taking time to address it. Maybe some posters don't like being caught out being critical for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

What a bizzare thread.
    +1
    I dunno how this thread disintegrated so much. I drove down from Dublin last year to do this race and couldn't find any fault with it. I thought it was brilliantly organised event. As for the price of the event, I have wasted a hell of lot more on nights out down through the years with nothing to show for it but a sore head! So if €40 gets me a pb on decent course I have no problem paying it.

As for the prize money and elites raking it in!! Is that a joke? If the top Irish marathoners were making a living from running then why are most of them working in full time jobs in addition to running 100+miles a week. If a race like Charelville gets good group of the elite guys in to race against each other then there is more potential for them to improve their times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Good luck to all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Stazza wrote: »
    I know, it's nuts; they could come and do the Tralee Half - it's only 50 Euro. But there's a good chance they won't be able to get their medal and banana because they'll get killed on the road out to Ardfert.

The Tralee 10k (no T-shirt and the roads weren't closed) cost 26.50. How somebody wasn't killed going up the Caherslee Road was beyond me.

The Charleville Half has already developed a great reputation and more of these races are needed to lift the level of competition/standard in Ireland.

Folks, I've said it before, but this has to be sorted. I might sound like the old 'continental' snob but where I run, this is unthinkable. What is it with Ireland and roads not closed. Jesus, you'd think it was Manhattan or LA they were trying to deal with. Wasn't there a problem with the Limerick marathon where runners were saying they had about 3 feet of space and clipped a few bollards. Complain, before someone is killed for Crissake or boycott races where runners are competing with cars.

Hope Charleville went well today for all concerned. Cool half million for the winner, was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Some run by Maria McCambridge in 1:12. Wowzers. Is that her PB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

rom wrote: »

Thats a great time for her, she did 1.13 there in 2012. Great run by Siobhan O Doherty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, I've said it before, but this has to be sorted. I might sound like the old 'continental' snob but where I run, this is unthinkable. What is it with Ireland and roads not closed. Jesus, you'd think it was Manhattan or LA they were trying to deal with. Wasn't there a problem with the Limerick marathon where runners were saying they had about 3 feet of space and clipped a few bollards. Complain, before someone is killed for Crissake or boycott races where runners are competing with cars.

Hope Charleville went well today for all concerned. Cool half million for the winner, was it?

Outside of the Phoenix Park, I don't know of any races with full road closures. There may be one or two that people might come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

Grt day and fantastic race.....fast flat course exactly as it was described, ill be back next year for another pb hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

rom wrote: »

I have no idea what her PB is but I'll ask her next time I see her and i'll get back to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just checked, yup, pb beating her previous Charleville mark! Well done her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

63 minutes from martin fagan.......stellar stuff.

http://www.charlevillehalf.com/results-2014-overall/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

Grt day and fantastic race.....fast flat course exactly as it was described, ill be back next year for another pb hopefully!

Super day out and delighted with my 1:29 and a shiny new PB. Couldn't eulogize this setup enough. The elites were all there. It was great to see all the elites choose Charleville over the Dublin Half. Well done to everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Super day out and delighted with my 1:29 and a shiny new PB. Couldn't eulogize this setup enough. The elites were all there. It was great to see all the elites choose Charleville over the Dublin Half. Well done to everyone involved.

I didnt know Charleville was on the Damascus road.

Advertisement