Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half-Marathon

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Great event & well organised, same as last year really. Would have been nice to have been able to get a shower afterwards (the GAA clubhouse?) but a minor thing. Apart from the railway bridge, it's pretty damned flat!

I had a run around with the 1:25 pace group but ended up ~20 secs faster than the Athlone half last w/end, guess the result of the cooler weather.

Impressive performances from the two winners for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I didnt know Charleville was on the Damascus road.

It sure is. It's Junction 7 off the Damascus road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

To add to above The Doughnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Super day out and delighted with my 1:29 and a shiny new PB. Couldn't eulogize this setup enough. The elites were all there. It was great to see all the elites choose Charleville over the Dublin Half. Well done to everyone involved.

Interesting comparative stats that were posted on Facebook:
    A quick look at the results today in Charleville compared to Dublin yesterday.
    Total to run Charleville. 667. Total to run Dublin. 6128
    Sub 70min
    Charleville had 8. That’s 1.2% of the total field.
    Dublin had 1 sub 70. 0.02% of its total field.
    Sub 80min.
    Charleville had 59. That’s 8.9% of the total field.
    Dublin had 58. That’s 1% of the total field.
    Sub 90 min.
    Charleville had 161. That’s 24% of its total field.
    Dublin had 441. That’s 7.2% of the total field.
    I like to think we get a good balance in promoting competitive athletics and overall participation as an athletics club. Despite the pressure that an event like this involves to execute it effectively - it was really good to see it all come together - great to see North Cork AC and friends pull together so well with community around us to execute the event so well. Was really good to see people enjoying the event and getting satisfaction from it. So many people to thank for their help and they provided it without even having to be asked. Great community spirit in Charleville and in the broader athletics community also. Big thanks to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Great Race, Great Day and i.m.o well worth the entry fee. Great to run on closed roads.
    I exorcised the demons of the warm day last year with a new p.b of 1:16. That included 2 stops to tie the same feckin shoelace! Amateurish at best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I'm sure I must've been running in a group with you EauRouge, I ran 1:16, did you run with the Sanchez / O'Doherty group? Watergrasshill / Finbarrs lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Did this last year and this year and both brilliant. Buzz after is particularly good. I wouldn't change a thing if I were the organisers.

This year was better because of cooler weather.

Yes the top times are really something but I felt everyone got their due finish line recognition.

Mass participation running in Ireland is in a good place right now. And its only going to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Great Race, Great Day and i.m.o well worth the entry fee. Great to run on closed roads.
    I exorcised the demons of the warm day last year with a new p.b of 1:16. That included 2 stops to tie the same feckin shoelace! Amateurish at best!

:eek:

Someone's gotten fast!
    Savage time, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ah, FFS, Smurf how did ya manage not to tie the thing properly twice?

Should nearly lead to disqualification. Otherwise, nice running. What ya targeting for Dublin now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

Grt running and looks like it'll be a pb in Dublin aswell just practice tying ur laces before the race.....i nearly ran into u at mile 4...;-)! Keep up the good work

• Advertisement

happygoose wrote: »
    I'm sure I must've been running in a group with you EauRouge, I ran 1:16, did you run with the Sanchez / O'Doherty group? Watergrasshill / Finbarrs lad?

Hi happygoose,
    I was behind that group most of the way to be honest, i know the watergrasshill and finbarrs lads alright and ended up finishing between them. I passed Sanchez at 11 miles but not O'Doherty. I was well chuffed coming in as 3rd lady!!! :)
    :eek:

Someone's gotten fast!
    Savage time, well done!

Thanks TFB, trying to stick to that Canavo we discussed plan for Dublin! Who would have thought a bit of structured training would benefit me.. ( a 5 min PB)
    Not even good enough for top30 puts it in perspective though.

Itziger wrote: »
    Ah, FFS, Smurf how did ya manage not to tie the thing properly twice?

Should nearly lead to disqualification. Otherwise, nice running. What ya targeting for Dublin now?

Ha Ha.....good morning Donal. I was in a hurry to get going ahead of the stampede that was coming up behind me and under pressure I fumbled when trying to execute the "Double Knot"....

cgooner wrote: »
    Grt running and looks like it'll be a pb in Dublin aswell just practice tying ur laces before the race.....i nearly ran into u at mile 4...;-)! Keep up the good work

I think we have my daughters primary school teacher coming along to the club track session this week to give us a refresher course. There a couple of other clowns that run with us who have been caught out before as well.

Next time the laces open I will step to the side of the road and exercise some better running etiquette :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

I think we have my daughters primary school teacher coming along to the club track session this week to give us a refresher course. There a couple of other clowns that run with us who have been caught out before as well.

Next time the laces open I will step to the side of the road and exercise some better running etiquette :(

there's always velcro ;-)

Advertisement