Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone know of good Societies in NUI?

• 26-08-2014 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, I am going into first year Arts in September and don't really know many people. I want to meet a few new friends. I hear when you do Arts since they are so many people doing it its hard to get to know people. Are there any good Societies you could join that are kinda laid back with nice people? I don't really have a favorite hobby. Just want to meet sound people and have the laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MrMan1996

LumpySpace wrote: »
    Hey, I am going into first year Arts in September and don't really know many people. I want to meet a few new friends. I hear when you do Arts since they are so many people doing it its hard to get to know people. Are there any good Societies you could join that are kinda laid back with nice people? I don't really have a favorite hobby. Just want to meet sound people and have the laugh.

There should be events by the different clubs and societies held through out the week, I guess this would be a good place to interact and get to know people if you're new, cause that's what I'm hoping on doing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

There will be a societies day early in the semester where they will all set up in the Bailey Allen hall. You can meet and chat to people in the societies then and get a better idea of how active/interested they are.

I'm biased, but joining Litndeb is practically mandatory.

also Chess soc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

There's societies for pretty much everything.

Larger ones are great for meeting new people (Debating, Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Business, Law and History are all large off the top of my head and are broad enough to appeal to everyone) while smaller ones can be great for meeting people with similar interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

The worst society I ever joined was the chess society. Its run by a bunch of clowns who perceive themselves to be funny. Last year I got an email every week which were about 1000 words long that were supposed make us all laugh. But no it didn't really! And the person that sends those emails is not even a student in NUIG, but a student in England who is about 28 years old and who needs to grow up. (He basically told us everything about his life in those emails)
    There is some fun societies. Watch out for the Cheerleading Society!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

As a newly installed member of the Chess Soc committee, that's not true. Just sayin'.

I'm biased, so Chess and Italian are good ones.

• Advertisement

janet1989 wrote: »
    The worst society I ever joined was the chess society. Its run by a bunch of clowns who perceive themselves to be funny. Last year I got an email every week which were about 1000 words long that were supposed make us all laugh. But no it didn't really! And the person that sends those emails is not even a student in NUIG, but a student in England who is about 28 years old and who needs to grow up. (He basically told us everything about his life in those emails)

You created an account just to complain about a society whose humour goes over your head?

I'm sure cheerleading will be intellectually stimulating and totally as popular in Ireland as in the states.

You created an account just to complain about a society whose humour goes over your head?

I'm sure cheerleading will be intellectually stimulating and totally as popular in Ireland as in the states.
    Relax please. I was just speaking for myself. I'm not stopping anyone from joining any society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

janet1989 wrote: »
    I think most people join ChessSoc just for the emails, to be honest. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Also, if you go to one society event and don't like it, do go to more. The societies really differ greatly in what they do and their character as a group. If one is not for you, there is another one where you will make the best friends of your life! Say Lit 'n' Deb, they do debating and such. For some people who get involved it practically takes over their lives, other people REALLY despise it... The same goes for a whole load of socs...

On a side note, getting involved with an academic society can be really advantageous as there as an opportunity to create a positive impression with lecturers along with meeting like minded people. They are not stuffy as one might think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Join the GiG Soc. It's *the* place to go to hear about all the music gigs and popular hang outs in Galway before anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Join the GiG Soc. It's *the* place to go to hear about all the music gigs and popular hang outs in Galway before anyone else.

As a 3rd year who is finally going to join the GIG Soc this year, I don't think inside info on music gigs and popular hang outs are the perks I was hoping for :P

As a 3rd year who is finally going to join the GIG Soc this year, I don't think inside info on music gigs and popular hang outs are the perks I was hoping for :P

Well though, because that's what the GiG Soc is all about! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm going to guess "janet" is an eejit who is in both the Chess and Cheerleading societies and wanted to promote both and stimulate conversation. Not cool. ChessSoc gets enough complaints without people making up pretend ones.

Also, I'm 99% sure that no girl called Janet has come to chess any time over the last ten years...

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm going to guess "janet" is an eejit who is in both the Chess and Cheerleading societies and wanted to promote both and stimulate conversation. Not cool. ChessSoc gets enough complaints without people making up pretend ones.

Also, I'm 99% sure that no girl called Janet has come to chess any time over the last ten years...
    There is no need to get upset over what I said. Like I said I am not speaking for everyone. I am probably wrong about what I said. I will go more this year. Isn't Ficheall the Irish translation for chess?

Manco wrote: »
    I think most people join ChessSoc just for the emails, to be honest. :pac:

I haven't been in NUIG for over a year and I'm still signed up to the emails and read them. The university I'm in now has nothing like it. Dry boring ****es. ChessSoc outreach officer?
    the perks I was hoping for :P

hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

To the OP:

All the societies are free to join, so sign up to everything and then decided which ones you want to stick with after a few weeks and unsubscribe from the ones your not interested in!

I am biased: Sláinte Soc, the health promotion society, has the annual Teddy Bear Hospital, which is oodles of fun to help out with. Sign up to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Is there many sports society's, specifically cycling?and running

There's over 50 Sports Clubs, as far as I know, and over 100 societies. There's definitely a running club, EmcD123, and I presume there's a cycling club. Have a look on the NUIG site.

There's also a running club called Galway City Harriers that use the sports facilities. I know a few of them; they're good eggs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

pourquoi wrote: »
    There's over 50 Sports Clubs, as far as I know, and over 100 societies. There's definitely a running club, EmcD123, and I presume there's a cycling club. Have a look on the NUIG site.

There's also a running club called Galway City Harriers that use the sports facilities. I know a few of them; they're good eggs. :)
    Im with the harriers. Is there a list of societies on the website? I can't find it

I'd be far more interested in the sports clubs, but in seriousness, how's the GiG Soc? It seems very rainbowy

• Advertisement

GiG Soc stands for the Gay in Galway Society--it's the LGBTQA soc.

Last year's committee and regulars were a really sound bunch. You don't have to be gay to be in GiG! In fact a straight friend of mine was on the committee for the last three years. :)

pourquoi wrote: »
    GiG Soc stands for the Gay in Galway Society--it's the LGBTQA soc.

Last year's committee and regulars were a really sound bunch. You don't have to be gay to be in GiG! In fact a straight friend of mine was on the committee for the last three years. :)

I know about it and all, and am interested in checking it out, it's just a wondering about the type of people who go there.

I've got zero against camp people and a friend is a friend to me, but I'm not hugely integrated or interested in 'the scene'. I'm just wondering if there's many others like me.
    From what I see, those who get involved are very 'right on' with the LGBT stuff, like pride marches, which is absolutely great and fair play to them, but not exactly me -I'm more chilled out about it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Im with the harriers. Is there a list of societies on the website? I can't find it

http://socs.nuigalway.ie/society_profiles/search/

http://www.clubs.nuigalway.ie/

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I know about it and all, and am interested in checking it out, it's just a wondering about the type of people who go there.

I've got zero against camp people and a friend is a friend to me, but I'm not hugely integrated or interested in 'the scene'. I'm just wondering if there's many others like me.
    From what I see, those who get involved are very 'right on' with the LGBT stuff, like pride marches, which is absolutely great and fair play to them, but not exactly me -I'm more chilled out about it all.

I'm not a scene person either, but enjoyed a lot of the events. Go down for one or two meetings and see what you think!

They also have a New Member Liaison Officer who you can meet before an event if you feel a bit intimidated. Obviously, it's a different bunch of people every year, but for the two years I was there, the majority of them were sound. :) PM me if you want to ask more questions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Bacon society is not as delicious as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 may150776

Rather than worry about who you hang out with. I was and still am a terrible mixer. Joining societies with common interests as I went to a small college! During Freshers week all things tent to happen. Galway is a great town/city! A lot of my friends are from the west!

Advertisement