Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAR THIEVES on the prowl

• 26-08-2014 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hi all thought id drop this here may serve useful or may not .

Yesterday at 12.46 pm sitting in my front room I see a strange hand moving about the bonnet on my car outside my living room window.

Only thing that enabled me to see this was my daughter was at something she shouldnt - so when i stood up i could see a car backed right up to the front of my Beammer . At this stage the sill on the drivers door and the grills at the front had already been removed by the car thieves and they were trying to pop the bonnet , I gave chase and they took off so here is the car details that left the scene : -

Car reg :-01 L 3242
    Make Volvo
    Model S60 T5 2.0
    Colour BLUE (Dark navy)
    Engine Size 2.0L
    Ca\r was imported from the UK.

So if you see this car be warned limerick registered and not reported as stolen . (Yet)

Yesterday i was called again by Gardai they said the car may not be registered to its correct owner or plates are cloned, Last week the same car reg was reported in castle Island for the exact same thing - they were again mid removal of grills on another car and when disturbed they fled the scene.

They are doing it in small steps in plain sight and full view of everyone and in broad daylight. They will back this car right up to a target and lie under the engine while they work using this car to cover/shield them in action.

When ? Sunday 17th , Where Macroom Co Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

S60 T5 is a bank job car of choice. Surprised it wasn't reported stolen.

Wonder why they are stealing the grills, on the grand scale a fairly low value item on the overall car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Bastards is all they are. Luckily they were the typically cowardly scum who ran off as soon as they were approached. They were brazen enough to do it in full daylight tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

in my case they had the grills off and were working on the bonnet lock when i rumbled them, Mine is a 325i bmw so id say they wanted it for a job also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

dbit wrote: »
    in my case they had the grills off and were working on the bonnet lock when i rumbled them, Mine is a 325i bmw so id say they wanted it for a job also.

Maybe so, but I doubt it. A 325i wouldn't be the fastest choice for a job when there's T5 Volvos and 335i beamers floating about

Lol this isnt a my penis is bigger post its to warn others about possible car theft. Not that bothered that there are faster cars , generally yes larger engines are faster cars ....................... Good observation man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ironclaw wrote: »

Wonder why they are stealing the grills, on the grand scale a fairly low value item on the overall car.

They remove the grills in order to be able to pop the bonnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Lol this isnt a my penis is bigger post its to warn others about possible car theft. Not that bothered that there are faster cars , generally yes larger engines are faster cars ....................... Good observation man.

well said.

I'd say the amount of cars stolen for 'actual' bank jobs is very small. People watch too much hollywood films. Cars are stolen for parts or usually just because some scum bag wants a fast car to prowl the country in while doing in houses,shops,garages etc. I don't think there is some scumbag somewhere googling the stats of a 2.0T volvo v's a 325 before making his choice :)

tossy wrote: »
    well said.

I'd say the amount of cars stolen for 'actual' bank jobs is very small. People watch too much hollywood films. Cars are stolen for parts or usually just because some scum bag wants a fast car to prowl the country in while doing in houses,shops,garages etc. I don't think there is some scumbag somewhere googling the stats of a 2.0T volvo v's a 325 before making his choice :)

Haa haa pmsl young fellas wa !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Scary stuff. Im generally pretty paranoid about my car at the best of times (with good reason sadly based on past experiences), however you would think that the thing is safe during daylight hours while parked in your driveway...

I wonder how much success these guys have had with this tactic. Do this at night and I could understand, but during the day? Surely they get spotted more often than not?

People were all around outside my house as it was sunday, people coming from mass all over , traffic in the village was heavey as i live on the main through road , They mounted the footpath to get away from me and to push into traffic , thing was 100 yards ahead traffic was at a dead stop I could have run up to the car and dragged one out only i live alone and my 2 year old and 5 year old were stood at the door , I could not go any further , plus he had a sizeable screw driver in his hand.

Not worth it with my little ones let them off at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ironclaw wrote: »

What's the betting it passed through the hands of a cash for cars merchant so technically it's never been stolen. They're probably taking off the grille to disable the alarm siren before coming back for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Time to invest in trackers.
    Utter scum.
    Well done to you for rumbling them and don't pay attention to silly posts.

bear1 wrote: »
    Time to invest in trackers.

A tracker is only as good as the installation behind it. Ideally you want two, or at least a decoy with back up and isolated power supplies. If insurance companies offered a premium decrease, then the investment would be worthwhile, as it stands, they don't care.

Hmm, how about disabling the car every night. An awful pain in the hole I know.
    These are things that seem to happen around the big cities, rarely hear about this stuff in Galway.

Raspberry PI lads 30 quid then put OS on it with tracking soft ( Loads free on the web) and get a pay as you go sim on it via usb dongle with 3 g - cheap as chips does the same thing. Would need to be hidden well, IE above firewall and between chasis and body or outter skin as when it hits the chop shop itll soon get pulled.

Can be powered from the car direct with backup battery or nicad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.tracknstop.com/

Just waiting for more details on costs / fitting to be announced.

Tracking as per all trackers, but with the option for the car to be remotely disabled by the authorities, and also an option to cut the starter motor via your smart phone/pc/tablet etc.

If pricing that was floated comes through, it's going to relatively cheap, and about the only way you wouldn't get your car back is if it's torched shortly after it's stolen.

R.O.R wrote: »
    http://www.tracknstop.com/

Just waiting for more details on costs / fitting to be announced.

Tracking as per all trackers, but with the option for the car to be remotely disabled by the authorities, and also an option to cut the starter motor via your smart phone/pc/tablet etc.

If pricing that was floated comes through, it's going to relatively cheap, and about the only way you wouldn't get your car back is if it's torched shortly after it's stolen.

Now that would be something I'd be seriously interested in.
    The ability to disable the car would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

R.O.R wrote: »
    the only way you wouldn't get your car back is if it's torched shortly after it's stolen.

A lot of the time you'd hear people say that they'd prefer if the car was torched because if any major damage is done, the car mightn't be right afterwards even if "repaired".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

bear1 wrote: »
    Now that would be something I'd be seriously interested in.
    The ability to disable the car would be brilliant.

I have read some things about possible safety and legal issues arising from disabling a car remotely (ie someone is driving down the road in a car that suddenly loses power steering, brakes etc because it has been disabled could cause a very dangerous situation). I dont know much about it however; worth looking into I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Most of the disable systems I'm aware of wait until the vehicle is stationary before disabling it. Particularly effective if they end up stopped in the middle of a busy area.

Thieves are getting crafty though. A neighbour's car was stolen recently: the thieves managed to get a key cloned for it so they just walked up to it and drove it off.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    I have read some things about possible safety and legal issues arising from disabling a car remotely (ie someone is driving down the road in a car that suddenly loses power steering, brakes etc because it has been disabled could cause a very dangerous situation). I dont know much about it however; worth looking into I suppose.

Moral of the story? If you don't want to be in that situation, don't be a thieving scumbag! :mad:

Chimaera wrote: »
    Most of the disable systems I'm aware of wait until the vehicle is stationary before disabling it. Particularly effective if they end up stopped in the middle of a busy area.

Thieves are getting crafty though. A neighbour's car was stolen recently: the thieves managed to get a key cloned for it so they just walked up to it and drove it off.

RF key cloners have been around for ages - 30 seconds and gone all they need is access to ODB port in most cases. Some cars can issue the key response via alternate methods but the odb is most popular so odb in car or under hood will do.

Loads of you tube vids out there of people with home security cams showing how quickly it can be done .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

RF key cloners have been around for ages - 30 seconds and gone all they need is access to ODB port in most cases. Some cars can issue the key response via alternate methods but the odb is most popular so odb in car or under hood will do.

This wasn't an RF clone - modern rolling code encryption makes that difficult to impossible. This was a VW key matched to the vehicle that allowed them get in and drive the car away normally. My guess is the thieves knew someone in a dealership who made one for them.

OBD access to the controllers requires the ignition to be powered on, so you'd still need a key unless you're willing to pull the interior apart to hotwire it.

This wasn't an RF clone - modern rolling code encryption makes that difficult to impossible. This was a VW key matched to the vehicle that allowed them get in and drive the car away normally. My guess is the thieves knew someone in a dealership who made one for them.

OBD access to the controllers requires the ignition to be powered on, so you'd still need a key unless you're willing to pull the interior apart to hotwire it.

Not true in all makes and models google it or you tube it if you like . BMW models can clone key with out ignition on , I did one myself i didnt want to pay for the issue as the RF programmer was only 30 quid from china. Beammer forums you can see it all in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Get a security camera fitted at the front of your house.

We had it done a few years ago after a break-in and members of a certain community wont call to the house anymore. That and a dog helps I suppose.

I'd only use a kill switch if the car was parked nowhere near the house - last thing you need is them coming in to your house to force you to start it.

Something like the Blackjaxx system that Clifford have is ideal - if a combination isn't put in within a few seconds of start up, the car will cut out. It should be far enough up the road for them not to come back at that point and will more than likely force them to leave the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Yes ! Sound advice. Even a fake camera works wonders. IP cameras are ridiculously easy to install and cheap to buy anyway. If you get one with onboard memory, there's no worry about someone breaking in and stealing the recording device/DVR - they'd need to climb up and remove the camera.

We had it done a few years ago after a break-in and members of a certain community wont call to the house anymore. That and a dog helps I suppose.

I'd only use a kill switch if the car was parked nowhere near the house - last thing you need is them coming in to your house to force you to start it.

Something like the Blackjaxx system that Clifford have is ideal - if a combination isn't put in within a few seconds of start up, the car will cut out. It should be far enough up the road for them not to come back at that point and will more than likely force them to leave the car.

Already Done had loads lying around

Basically im ridding myself of attractive powerfull car . No more risk time to go back to Sheet boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The tracknstop system can only be disabled when the vehicle is in sight of the Gardaí and they give the go ahead, that it's safe to do it.

Doesn't immediately cut everything, pulses on a decreasing basis so the car can be brought safely to a stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lot are robbing the exhaust system off mainly 4x4 and vans as higher off the ground and easier to acces without lifting.
    This is been done in car parks and at your house as you would be very unlikely to see them under the vehicle.

There are a group/community also lifting cars onto the back of recovery trucks and also have box body trucks as to hide the vehicle inside.
    I know sounds a bit hollywood but they are getting very crafty and have been at it years.

BMW of a certain recent enough era can be driven away without keys as the obd port is easily accessed and they plug there unit in start and drive away.

Stings should be set up like they do in the U.S and UK and possibly many other countries to catch this filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They'll try it with the wrong car eventually..then...one bullet...bang bang.

Lot are robbing the exhaust system off mainly 4x4 and vans as higher off the ground and easier to acces without lifting.
    This is been done in car parks and at your house as you would be very unlikely to see them under the vehicle.

Thats because the catalytic converter contains all sorts of rare and rather valuable rare metals (Platinum etc) They did a rake of them in Marley Park one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

They'll try it with the wrong car eventually..then...one bullet...bang bang.

Echo? Or richochet?

Echo? Or richochet?

Neither....joke!

• Advertisement

Neither....joke!

The second shot went right over my head..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Neither....joke!

Up again a wall......in the middle of a field?

Up again a wall......in the middle of a field?

That's exactly the place!! Were you there too? Twas a miserable, dry day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

That's exactly the place!! Were you there too? Twas a miserable, dry day!

What they didn't to to that poor man! Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Invest in a "318Ci" badge. That'll keep them away :)

• Advertisement

I know your messing but these guys are career criminals and do this as a job and they know their cars.

I know your messing but these guys are career criminals and do this as a job and they know their cars.

The front shocks are gone in my 520 and I have an NCT in two days time. I wonder would they do a nixer?

The front shocks are gone in my 520 and I have an NCT in two days time. I wonder would they do a nixer?

They would cut them out that any use:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They're fcukan dumb knackers.

jimgoose wrote: »
    They're fcukan dumb knackers.

Edit that quick you will be yellowed we all know but for some reason not allowed say.

Edit that quick you will be yellowed we all know but for some reason not allowed say.

I couldn't give a scuttery fcuk. I find it deeply offensive when I hear actual technical skill attributed to these illiterate fartbollixes.

I couldn't give a scuttery fcuk. I find it deeply offensive when I hear actual technical skill attributed to these illiterate fartbollixes.

So you reckon the shocks might not be a runner? :D

100% agree am sick to death with them and have dealing with them myself quite often.

Cops are afraid of them and won't touch them.

So you reckon the shocks might not be a runner? :D

Pull one of them out yourself and bate fourteen shades of fortified fcuk out of them with it. Immensely therapeutic! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think CCTV is sadly of limited use in most applications. Typically all you'll see is night time, grainy images of hooded figures stealing your stuff, even with a high quality setup. CCTV is also of limited use in court, ask any security staff who work in supermarkets, even if the image is clear as day of the scumbags stealing, its not always usable.

If it works as a deterrent, great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement