Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting from Mullingar to Athlone

• 26-08-2014 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

My fiance is in the irish army and will be relocating to athlone barracks as we recently moved to westmeath (clonmellon). He doesn't drive so can anyone give any advice as to how he could commute. Is there any pick up / drop off for the barracks for soldiers that wouldn't drive and live in the greater areas of westmeath. The bus from mullingar doesn't arrive in athlone until 8.45 which won't suit as he starts at 8.30 everyday. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do realise that Clonmellon is closer to Navan or Kells (in Meath) than Mullingar?

It doesn't work. The earliest he could get there is 11am.

His only hope would be that there would be someone else travelling in that direction. Even at that, it's a one hour trip, where he would be dependent on someone else. The risk is that he would be on charges for being AWOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭stargirl28

Yep I realise that but as I will be driving as far as mullingar every morning I can drop him that far so he has to commute from there to athlone.
    Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that Clonmellon is closer to Navan or Kells (in Meath) than Mullingar?

It doesn't work. The earliest he could get there is 11am.

His only hope would be that there would be someone else travelling in that direction. Even at that, it's a one hour trip, where he would be dependent on someone else. The risk is that he would be on charges for being AWOL.

The earliest arrival appears to be 9am with Bus Éireann route 70. http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1396024264-070.pdf

Put your exact locations (crèche and work) and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. Make sure you have selected "take neighbouring stops into account for origin and destination maximum 20 min walk".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

stargirl28 wrote: »
    ... is in the irish army and will be relocating to athlone barracks ... He doesn't drive ... Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

A soldier who cannot drive??? Really?

He needs to get busy learning.

And what's your point?!
    A soldier who cannot drive??? Really?

He needs to get busy learning.

• Advertisement

Thanks for ur help victor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

And what's your point?!

Don't they still have army staff who train soldiers in driving skills?

Don't they still have army staff who train soldiers in driving skills?
    There is no mutual recognition of civilian and military driving licences, as there are different requirements. The driving experience gained in doing one would of course help in gaining the other.

Not everyone in the military will get a military driving licence anyway - it would primarily be people in driving positions and then other vehicle crew.

He doesn't need to drive for what he is trained in and as the previous poster mentioned priority is given to those that need to drive as part of their daily duties. Although I don't see wht this has to do with my original query!! Not everyone wants to or chooses to learn to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

He doesn't need to drive for what he is trained in and as the previous poster mentioned priority is given to those that need to drive as part of their daily duties. Although I don't see wht this has to do with my original query!! Not everyone wants to or chooses to learn to drive

With respect, some need to though. The commute involved in your query is hugely helped by ability to drive.

www.carpool.ie maybe could be another alternative. Put the ad up and get him to share fuel cost with driver.

• Advertisement

I am well aware of the benefits involved if he drove but he chooses not to for his own reasons.

Thanks I'll have a look at that website today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He could check with some of the guys in the barracks who commute from mulligar since it closed.

Advertisement