Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented property tenancy. Advice needed

Options
  • 26-08-2014 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I moved into a property in March with my friend and his partner.
    I 3 of us signed the lease on the property as we wanted it to be legit and let the letting agency know I was living there but we said I was not paying rent so the landlord wouldn't increase the rent with 3 of us living there.
    I signed the lease for a year and am paying my friend my share a month. Now his partner is saying I am to move out for no reason whatsoever and it is really affecting my relationship with my friend. Do I have any rights to fulfill the terms of the lease because I am down as a tenant on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

emmbay wrote: »
    I 3 of us signed the lease on the property as we wanted it to be legit and let the letting agency know I was living there but we said I was not paying rent so the landlord wouldn't increase the rent with 3 of us living there.
    I signed the lease for a year and am paying my friend my share a month. Now his partner is saying I am to move out for no reason whatsoever and it is really affecting my relationship with my friend. Do I have any rights to fulfill the terms of the lease because I am down as a tenant on it?

No offence but why would you want to stay somewhere where you are not wanted? Personally i would leave as i think if you stay it could ruin your friendship totally if your friend sides with his partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

emmbay wrote: »

Why did you tell the agents/landlord that you weren't paying rent?
    What does the lease say about your rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

bumper234 wrote: »
    No offence but why would you want to stay somewhere where you are not wanted? Personally i would leave as i think if you stay it could ruin your friendship totally if your friend sides with his partner.

I'm am asking do I have to fulfill my lease if I am down as Tenant I'm not asking advice on my friendship

Why did you tell the agents/landlord that you weren't paying rent?
    What does the lease say about your rights?

We told them I wasn't paying rent incase they increased the rent. Which I did state in my post.
    The agent never sent a copy of the lease so I can't remember what it says.
    Generically if u are a tenant do u have to fulfill tenancy agreement even if you are house sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

if your down as a tenant you are jointly and severably liable I would imagine. As for the not paying rent you will have to explain how exactly a letting agent allowed/contracted/agreed to that.

3 people signed the lease, 3 people are liable for the total rent payment. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

if your down as a tenant you are jointly and severably liable I would imagine. As for the not paying rent you will have to explain how exactly a letting agent allowed/contracted/agreed to that.

3 people signed the lease, 3 people are liable for the total rent payment. Simples.

This is my point OP....if you came to me, told me you weren't paying rent, but you wanted to be a named tenant on a lease I'd quickly tell you where to go.

You used deception to gain legal rights here, if you want to rely on your legal rights you better come clean with the estate agent and landlord otherwise just walk away and learn from your mistake.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

A letting agent doesn't care who pays the rent. The relationship of the tenants and their financial arrangements is no concern of theirs, for example if a couple rent they dont ask, are you splitting the rent 50/50, 75/25, 100/0?
    But yes, all named tenants, regardless of who pays has equal rights and obligations.

MouseTail wrote: »
    A letting agent doesn't care who pays the rent. The relationship of the tenants and their financial arrangements is no concern of theirs, for example if a couple rent they dont ask, are you splitting the rent 50/50, 75/25, 100/0?
    But yes, all named tenants, regardless of who pays has equal rights and obligations.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

MouseTail wrote: »

I'd agree with this - whatever info you gave the agent verbally about your domestic arrangements vis the breakdown of rent payments would have gone in one ear and out the other. As far as they are concerned whoever signed the lease is bound to it's terms including the payment of rent. Sharing with a couple seems to be fairly fraught - are they suggesting that they will get someone else in if you leave or are they proposing that they take over the whole of the rent payments between the two of them and if so will they be able to afford it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Did you pay a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

As far as I know if however they decide to move out and leave you there then you will be liable for the full rent. So bear that in mind.

Advertisement