Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Changed networks and worse battery since

• 26-08-2014 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Last week i moved to three from vodafone,Since i have moved,my iphone 4s battery as appeared to have become considerably worse, Like it would have to be charged almost twice a day now compared to once. Has anyone ever experienced this when they have changed networks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's possible if you're in areas where the phone is constantly changing between 3G and GPRS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

guil wrote: »
    It's possible if you're in areas where the phone is constantly changing between 3G and GPRS.

Thanks for your response guil, It could be a cause indeed but it drains alot sitting idle in Dublin City center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

guil wrote: »

Iv noticed since that when i turn off my 3g on my phone my battery does save itself alot, But when it on its draining itself. Is there anyway just keeping it stuck on 3G only and not switching between the two.

I get the error message (attached) when i try and select a carrier thinking maybe three 3g and three gprs network might display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's strange. Try get the sim replaced and reset network settings. 3 only have a 3G network and fall back on vodafone GPRS.

It could easily be that the 3 signal strength isn't as good where you are. This would mean that the phone has to work harder to communicate with the network.

I was with 3 for a short while because I was going to the UK for a week and wanted to take advantage of the free data roaming. While I was with them I noticed that the signal was considerably worse than O2 and I rarely had a full signal. It was mostly around the -100dBm mark, which would be 2-3 bars. This would definitely reduce battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

It is the three network.

It is a profile then run a standard, so basically you are being offloaded to Vodafone for capacity reasons.

The iPhone expects good network performance and if it doesn't get that it will try and make up for it by powering the antenna up to pick up that last bit of signal. Hence the battery drain

Three spread there masts around randomly and its not great for phones in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Definitely the network as others have said.
    I used to only get to the afternoon before needing to charge my iPhone 4s on the Three network, it was constantly switching from 3G to edge, and then searching between the two.
    Switched to Vodafone 6 weeks ago, with the same phone, and get a full day easily.

Advertisement