Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog was attacked

• 26-08-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

Hi all . I'd appreciate some help
    My little Westie was badly attacked by a Bull Mastiff in May.
    He has healed up nicely bar a few missing teeth but was very lucky.

Anyway he is out on his walks again and there are alot of loose dogs in my town and they run at him even the ones that he was friendly with have a go now

Can anyone help me understand what is going on?

Mod note: the pic linked to here may upset some. It is a picture of the westie's wound, I think having been shaved and stitched?
    Thanks,
    DBB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What do you mean help you to understand what is going on? As in why do the dogs run at him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

How is he reacting to dogs 'running at him' and how are you reacting? In fairness if I was in your shoes I would be terribly nervous of my dog being attacked again, is there anywhere you can take him where dogs would be on leads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

ye thats it Andreac

He reacts ok i suppose. I dont walk him as I'm a wheelchair user. Mam says shes calm but I'm beginning to wonder

I live in a small town and dogs are mostly on leads but its not enforced.
    we bring him up the fields too but worry then he not getting a decent walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

He must have gotten a bad fright and so could feel threatened when he's out. If that is the case he could be on the defensive with every dog he sees and they can pick that up in his body language.

Can you ask your mother to walk him in areas you're less likely to meet other dogs and allow him to build back up his confidence? Controlled meetings with nice dogs he knows and is happy to interact with would be a good idea too if you can manage it. Anything you can think of to help him feel more secure. :)

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    He must have gotten a bad fright and so could feel threatened when he's out. If that is the case he could be on the defensive with every dog he sees and they can pick that up in his body language.

Can you ask your mother to walk him in areas you're less likely to meet other dogs and allow him to build back up his confidence? Controlled meetings with nice dogs he knows and is happy to interact with would be a good idea too if you can manage it. Anything you can think of to help him feel more secure. :)
    ye i will do that thanks.. he is happy to play withhes dogs friends.. he will get there

Advertisement