Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Gill 10K Swim

Options
  • 26-08-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick reminder .. the Lough Gill 10k swim is on this Saturday ... it starts at Parks Castle at 11:30 with the first swimmers expected at Doorly Park at around 2:00.

This year they have added a relay race which starts at the Boat House and each competitor swims 500 meters. There is a few other activities at the finish line with Scuffy Duffy providing the entertainment.

Its a great day out ..please come along and show some support .. its a long swim and great to arrive at the finish line with loads of people cheering the swimmers on!

All money raised by the swimmers goes to the North West Hospice

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

great event well worth getting out there to support the swimmers

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This is one of the plans for next year. Good luck to all them involved this time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

If you can get across to the Back Avenue at Doorly Park anytime from 1ish tomorrow arvo folks, please do.
    I take a personal involvement in the swim because it's in memory of my friend Neill McGarry, who passed away in the hospice on Oct 28th, 2010, the day before what should've been his 30th birthday. The swim was started by his Uncle Sam McGarry (aka Paul round Sligo town!) to try and give something back to the hospice. I was fortunate enough to be in the hospice with Neill over the last 24 hours of his life, and I cannot, cannot praise the them enough...so if you can get across and donate, please do. If you can't make it tomorrow, you can donate online
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/shane_o_dohertys_loughgillswim2014/

This is the wee video from last year that'll give you an idea of how the day goes and what it means to those involved...

and here's a schedule for the day, just incase you get a chance to pop over...
    379616_5279ef7b5cbf410d9cd78aa1864d7eb9.jpg_srz_p_788_425_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I did the swim on Sat .. brilliant event and very well organised.. It was changed to start at the back avenue instead of Parkes Castle. It was a great experience to swim down the Garavogue with so many other swimmers and kayakers.

I've swam in the river a good few times and its a great way to experience it. The lake was quite rough, especially at Beezees Island, on the other side of the island it was only a few feet deep so we had to walk for about 10 meters, We then swarm to Aughermore and turned around and back up the river to the boat house .. this was the hardest part as the current was against us and was tired at this stage ... it was great to get to the finish line .. there was a good crowd to cheers us in!

brilliant day and I'm sure it raised a good deal of cash for the hospice.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

H there, don't know if anyone is still viewing this thread but I wanted to ask for some advice on the 10k swim. Our club has been organising an open water swim over the last number of years and this year we are considering a 10 k. Similar to this event, it is a memorial swim and we are always trying to boost numbers to increase the amount we can donate to the designated charity. Anyway, I am trying to understand what is involved in a 10 k in terms of organisation, risks, requirements, and so on. If anyone is willing or able to have a discussion around this, I would be very grateful,
    regards
    Pab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

pab_lowe wrote: »
    H there, don't know if anyone is still viewing this thread but I wanted to ask for some advice on the 10k swim. Our club has been organising an open water swim over the last number of years and this year we are considering a 10 k. Similar to this event, it is a memorial swim and we are always trying to boost numbers to increase the amount we can donate to the designated charity. Anyway, I am trying to understand what is involved in a 10 k in terms of organisation, risks, requirements, and so on. If anyone is willing or able to have a discussion around this, I would be very grateful,
    regards
    Pab

Hi Pab, they have a great Facebook page and I'm sure they would have to problem giving you some advice. I have did this the past two years and the organisation has been brilliant.. I'd say it's difficult to get a Kayaker for each swimmer.

Sean

Advertisement