Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Donegal Sunday 31 August AI semifinal Mod Warning Posts #392 #541

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Dublins defence let them down big time can't believe the space they gave Donegal at the back for those goals awful.

You could tell they where frustrated with not been able to play there game the constant defence on them you could see Dublin where starting to lose there nerve.

Very annoying because Dublin had it in them to win that game they just came up against a system that's incredibly hard to come from behind against.

Can't see it being a great final because I think donegal will control the game don't think kerry are the finished article yet.

Just very disappointed with this all the unnecessary hype will make it even worse having to listen to all the crap Dublin where to confident bla bla.

Dublins defence was atrocious ,constantly ball watching and leaving their men go .
    All three goals were down to terrible marking ,amateurish behaviour.

The final will be a war of attrition ,it will be ugly football .
    Today's match was exciting because it was a contrast of styles ,the final will be 2 overly physical defensive sides knocking the snot out of each other .

Finally the commentary on RTE was a disgrace today ,why was Martin Carney allowed commentate ,the man was disgustingly biased and relishing in Dublin's demise .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

****ing hell
    Dident see match just getting result now,

Gutted

Well done Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Can't see Donegal winning the final now. Kerry will learn from Dublin's mistakes.

Your a brave man to call that....Kerry forwards will have alot more trouble than they had yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

K-9 wrote: »
    Oh Sweet Mother of Fcuking God. Charlie Haughey, Brian Mullins, Samantha Mumba,, Kevin Heffernan, Dickie Rocke, Your Boys took one Hell of a Beating.

Charlie haughey was from mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I am thrilled for Donegal, absolutely. They won with a panache that few realised the team were capable of. I'm a non-Donegal man living in the county and I'm immensely proud of them. However, While McGuinness is a proven genius, I thought that Jim Gavin made a hash of it. He brought on 2 forwards - McMenamin and Rock - when the problems were in the defence, getting ripped apart anytime Donegal ran at them.

It will be a very interesting final, but both head and heart says Donegal.....as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Maybe the same with Mayo, neither had a real test before semi

Mayo beat Cork by a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Zardoz wrote: »
    Dublins defence was atrocious ,constantly ball watching and leaving their men go .

Today's match was exciting because it was a contrast of styles ,the final will be 2 overly physical defensive sides knocking the snot out of each other .

Finally the commentary on RTE was a disgrace today ,why was Martin Carney allowed commentate ,the man was disgustingly biased and relishing in Dublin's demise .

He was desperate alright. Talking a lot of rubbish. There was one point where a Dublin player was tugged back and a free was given. He obviously missed it and had a go at the ref for giving a free for nothing. The replay showed that the ref was right and he was wrong so he then had a go at the ref for inconsistency. He was obviously relishing in Dublin's demise towards the end which did seem thoroughly unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What a ****ing great weekend for football. Dublin still tried their running game which made for an open game. Credit to all 4 teams and the minors beforehand.

Gallagher was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭beantins

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Dublin by at least 6 points.

?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

I remember the Dublin fans on Hill 16 cheering on Armagh when Armagh played Donegal in the quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Zardoz wrote: »

Dublin were beaten by superior play on every level. The whining won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I am thrilled for Donegal, absolutely. They won with a panache that few realised the team were capable of. I'm a non-Donegal man living in the county and I'm immensely proud of them. However, While McGuinness is a proven genius, I thought that Jim Gavin made a hash of it. He brought on 2 forwards - McMenamin and Rock - when the problems were in the defence, getting ripped apart anytime Donegal ran at them.

It will be a very interesting final, but both head and heart says Donegal.....as it stands.

Good point , the man to man marking that Dublin do at the back was a risk that didn't pay off for them today athough it had been fairly effective for them up until that.

They just never recovered from the goals.

There seems to be a few good Dublin posters on here and in fairness they have been cautious and shouldn't be lumped in with the few cocky mindless ones . Dublin are still a brilliant team and they'll probably win leauge and Sam next year . Dublin's future is still brighter than anyone elses lest we forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

So do we still need to split Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Your a brave man to call that....Kerry forwards will have alot more trouble than they had yesterday

Donegal were intelligent today in their play, always in control after their first goal. Dublin were awful. Both lines of defence left players unmarked and acres of space to run into. Midfielders and Forwards did not have the nous to run the flanks rather than try play through a packed centre all the time. Snatched at chances and poor execution of free kicks really cost them.

Kerry won't fall into that trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭VanDinkle

I am nearly sure "Sweet Mother of Fcuking God" is also not from Dublin, but I cant be 100% positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Maybe the same with Mayo, neither had a real test before semi
    Mayo were tested by both Cork and Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dublin are sick. They thought they only had to show up today. They got a lesson in football and tactics. Delighted for Done gal. Just shows you that huge sponsorship doesn't win titles.

Lol.

Gonna have to listen to this **** for the next year. Everyone outside of Dublin won the all ireland today far as I'm concerned ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

EunanMac wrote: »
    Dublin were beaten by superior play on every level. The whining won't change that.

What whining ?
    I'm a neutral ,I didnt care who won .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

He was born in Mayo to parents from Derry (His father was an army officer based in Castlebar) and moved to Dublin at a very young age. He had no real links to the county and was essentially a Dubliner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What does that mean

It means when Dublin lose the rest of the country wins. Obviously not everyone thinks this way outside of Dublin but majority ****ing love to see Dublin lose and been dying for them to fail this year just to say ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Lapin wrote: »
    Dublin County Board should send out for some decent silver polish and cloths because they're gonna be busy tarting up the Sam Maguire for the next year or two.

Oops - perhaps Dublin just need some superior black players.
    Lapin wrote: »
    If its obvious that black people are physically dominant and superior, why don't counties like Carlow and Leitrim and others who never win fúckall in GAA games ditch their good for nothing pasty white shysters and recruit a bunch of fit athletic black lads instead?

Then they might have a chance against superior teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

He was born in Mayo to parents from Derry (His father was an army officer based in Castlebar) and moved to Dublin at a very young age. He had no real links to the county and was essentially a Dubliner.

his family moved from Mayo to a farm in county Meath (Dunshaughlin I think) before arriving in Dublin a few years later.

I read somewhere that he had a Dublin SFC medal with Parnells and was sent off once for striking a linesman. his brother won an all-Ireland with the Dubs in either 1958 or 1963.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

freddiek wrote: »
    great day for the GAA.

A victory for honest amateurism over creeping professionalism.

Well done to all Donegal people.

Donegal spent the last week at a training camp , hardly complete "amateurs"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

In The examiner a few weeks back they rated the four managers in the semis, Fitzmaurice was ranked fourth.. After McGuinnesses master class today how will Fitzmaurice counter it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Fair play to Dongal, better team won, no complaints.

Murphy excellent out the field, surprised Gavin never dropped a man back as a sweeper. Kamikaze stuff at times, but to be fair to Gavin and Dubs, we lived by the sword and died by the sword.

Connolly and Flynn were the only reason we were in that game. Both immense, Flynn surely still has a great shout for POTY.

No complaints about referees etc unlike yesterday's losers. We'll be back. And at least is stops lazy journalists writing about how dominant we are and the need to split us up.

G'luck to both in the final.

(And to "fans" who are delighted today (excluding Donegal et Kerry - they have reason) yer a bit sad. Where did your own county come?)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Brilliant from both minors and seniors. All the talk over the past week had me thinking Dublin were unbeatable.

Dún na nGall Abú :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Bye now. Shut the door behind you and thanks.

The guff spewed on here over the past 3 weeks. Embarassing.

A brilliant day for Donegal.

EunanMac wrote: »
    I remember the Dublin fans on Hill 16 cheering on Armagh when Armagh played Donegal in the quarters.

What about Donegal cheering Monaghan? Generally neutrals cheer the underdog. It's quite sad if you're upset at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dom40

donegal were a delight to watch,what a superb performance by all the donegal team,I made the mistake of listening to all the hype about Dublin being unbeatable and i am from Donegal,if only i had some of the belief of this wonderful donegal team,also well done to the Donegal minors,great day for Donegal football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Dublins problems were summed up in 20 secs of tv around 60mins in. Flynn charges through the defence towards goal and is fouled. He gets up pouring in sweat gasping for breath. Connolly saunters over to take the resulting free and look like a man out for the pre match kick around. Dublin had too many Connollys and not enough Flynns today. Alot of players went missing today, but Donegal were amazing. Hope they win it out now

Also for Donegals sake, I hope this puts an end to the "puke football" term. They beat us today with well planned counter - attacking football.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

threeball wrote: »
    Dublins problems were summed up in 20 secs of tv around 60mins in. Flynn charges through the defence towards goal and is fouled. He gets up pouring in sweat gasping for breath. Connolly saunters over to take the resulting free and look like a man out for the pre match kick around. Dublin had too many Connollys and not enough Flynns today. Alot of players went missing today, but Donegal were amazing. Hope they win it out now

Connolly had a very good match imo, second only to Flynn for the Dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Charlie was from everywhere! Claimed Swatragh in Derry as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It means when Dublin lose the rest of the country wins. Obviously not everyone thinks this way outside of Dublin but majority ****ing love to see Dublin lose and been dying for them to fail this year just to say ha!

You should put some sugar on them grapes,might sweeten them up. There's no better feeling than beating Dublin on their home pitch, and I'm from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Brilliant from both minors and seniors. All the talk over the past week had me thinking Dublin were unbeatable.

Dún na nGall Abú :D

Someone mentioned 33 to 1, hope they went for it!

• Advertisement

aveytare wrote: »
    Connolly had a very good match imo, second only to Flynn for the Dubs.

He may have offered a scoring threat but did next to nothing in tracking back or breaking up Donegals breaks out of defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I really dont liketi revel in other teams losses but when its Dublin and the cockiness you got to just laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

Someone mentioned 33 to 1, hope they went for it!

2 teams in the final who play football and don't just rely on fitness but have some class footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

He may have offered a scoring threat but did next to nothing in tracking back or breaking up Donegals breaks out of defence

Connolly was not great but both Brogans were a big let down. Bottled a couple of easy frees that could helped a comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I really dont liketi revel in other teams losses but when its Dublin and the cockiness you got to just laugh

So you don't but you do. Gotcha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That is not confined to Dublin football. Everybody loves an underdog in any sport and most people will cheer for them against the stronger opponent.

Gryire wrote: »
    Connolly was not great but both Brogans were a big let down. Bottled a couple of easy frees that could helped a comeback.

5 out of the 6 dublin forwards could have been filed under missing persons today.

5 out of the 6 dublin forwards could have been filed under missing persons today.

As a dub I'd say 4. Connolly did score 3 (or 4?) lovely points. Yeah he missed the goal but he won a savage amount of kick outs, especially two after both of Donegals goals - both wasted by inside forwards tho.

Starting O'Gara and Costello a mistake tbh, but I'm not the manager so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Dublin by at least 6 points.

Snigger.. wrong way round kiddo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Dublin were outplayed by a far superior donegal team. Dublin didnt seem to have any plan b today when it was required.

Some big dublin names went missing while their opposite numbers excelled.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    As a dub I'd say 4. Connolly did score 3 (or 4?) lovely points. Yeah he missed the goal but he won a savage amount of kick outs, especially two after both of Donegals goals - both wasted by inside forwards tho.

Starting O'Gara and Costello a mistake tbh, but I'm not the manager so.

Think dublin went to blitz donegal to kill their spirit early and thats o garas real purpose in there. When that didn't happen and donegal got to grips with the running from deep the dublin forwards just got completely lost and hadn't the ability to work in tight spaces. Its a big jump going from the loose defences of laois and meath to what donegal do. Monaghan should have offered something similar and did til the injury to their corner back but then capitulated and that did dublin no favours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

mickeyk wrote: »
    That is not confined to Dublin football. Everybody loves an underdog in any sport and most people will cheer for them against the stronger opponent.

I'd admire Dublin except for their home advantage. That's why I cheer every team against Dublin. When there are replays teams are put to a neutral venue which shoes GAA know about home advantage. But Dublin can play at Croke Park in every game.

Think dublin went to blitz donegal to kill their spirit early and thats o garas real purpose in there. When that didn't happen and donegal got to grips with the running from deep the dublin forwards just got completely lost and hadn't the ability to work in tight spaces. Its a big jump going from the loose defences of laois and meath to what donegal do. Monaghan should have offered something similar and did til the injury to their corner back but then capitulated and that did dublin no favours

All Ifs and buts but useless playing EOG if you're not gonna let ball in to them. Hindsight is wonderful though. No excuses. Donegal played us wonderfully.

I'd admire Dublin except for their home advantage. That's why I cheer every team against Dublin. When there are replays teams are put to a neutral venue which shoes GAA know about home advantage. But Dublin can play at Croke Park in every game.

You're clutching at straws if that's your only reason to not like Dublin. Not getting into an argument but (1) find me a ground capable of holding 81,500 and (2) explain why the Leinster Council voted to keep us in CP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Great result for football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement