Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Donegal Sunday 31 August AI semifinal Mod Warning Posts #392 #541

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was nice to be at a game where the 2 teams played their hearts out and the best team came out of it. McQuillan was impeccable I thought. Completely controlled the game. Imagine if yesterday had been reffed in that fashion.

Fair dues to Donegal. Played us perfectly.

Tír Connail abú come the 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

OOOPS..

BwYX8xQIYAAgv21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Well i was not expecting that all and in the second half i was hoping dublin would win as i feel kerry would have it easier against that dublin full back line than they will have against donegals. Very impressed with donegal today all over the pitch and i cant see JOD and Donaghy getting much out of that defence compared to dublins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Nib wrote: »
    OOOPS..

BwYX8xQIYAAgv21.jpg
    Nice photo can't stand those recent message jerseys last year was the three old guys from Mayo jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

After the thrills of last years Hurling Championship I thought the football was boring in comparison. The two semifinals have banished those thoughts.

Donegal are some unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Charlie haughey was from mayo

Only when it suited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

I really dont liketi revel in other teams losses but when its Dublin and the cockiness you got to just laugh

Classy! You sometimes learn more about a person in the way they feel about a win than a loss.

Well done Donegal, best team on the day. Hope you do the same to Donaghy and co. Remember nobody does cynicism like the supposed bastion of all that is pure in football:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You should put some sugar on them grapes,might sweeten them up. There's no better feeling than beating Dublin on their home pitch, and I'm from Dublin.

Far from sour grapes donegal deserved to win.

Your from Dublin..... Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

sammy37 wrote: »
    Well i was not expecting that all and in the second half i was hoping dublin would win as i feel kerry would have it easier against that dublin full back line than they will have against donegals. Very impressed with donegal today all over the pitch and i cant see JOD and Donaghy getting much out of that defence compared to dublins.

True, but I can't see Kerry leaving acres of room at the back for Donegal to counter into either in the way Dublin did today, they were a bit naive in that respect after Donegal had shown their hand. Donegal won't score as many as they did today against Kerry I would guess, it'll be two counter attacking teams and could be a very cagey affair. Kerry have craftier forwards but Donegals defence was superb today. They will gobble up high balls into Donaghy all day, not sure if i'd even start him, he has earned his place though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

well done donegal better team by a long way today enjoy the celebrations
    great weekend of football congrtas and good luck to both donegal and kerry in the final
    hard luck to mayo and dublin another day will come
    to the naysayers try to celebrate the victories rather than puttting the boot in especially from posters in neutral counties

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

EunanMac wrote: »
    Only when it suited

Haughey was from Mayo whether it suited him or not. Like any balanced person whose parents came from different counties and moved around the country, he had diverse county loyalties. He was an Irishman and a 32 county one, in line with the GAA ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Great game, until today Dubs hadn't to go the well all year, it proved beyond them to solve the problems encountered, when none seemed to exist up to this, butthey went down really trying and never became ill-disciplined a really good sign of a Team.
    Micheal Murphy is one of the best footballers I've ever seen, never goes missing and seems never to take the wrong option either.
    Some Final in store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

mickeyk wrote: »
    They will gobble up high balls into Donaghy all day, not sure if i'd even start him, he has earned his place though.

Donaghys won't be smiling and laughing before full time that's for sure. Donegal will certainly look to crowd Donaghy and O'Donoghue.
    Donegal cleaned up in midfield today and Kerry dominated Mayo there so it's going to be intriguing. Fitzmaurice has set Kerry up tactically very well so far. The final will be a bitterly close fought battle. Donegal have a huge level of fitness but the surprise card is gone now and they're now past the game they prepared for all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Well done to Donegal didn't let their heads drop when going through the sticky patch in the opening 15-20 minutes and then took the game to Dublin and powered past them to win pulling up. The Dubs with the talent there and coming through will be back to win more All Irelands however Donegal are true inspiration to any inter-county player/team in Ireland of what can be achieved with hard work and believing in themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Fair play to Joe mc Quillan, had a great game and took no crap compared to that debacle last night by Reilly. Early yellow showed who was boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

bohsboy wrote: »
    Fair play to Joe mc Quillan, had a great game and took no crap compared to that debacle last night by Reilly. Early yellow showed who was boss.

Quite a few questionable decisions went Dublin's way in the last 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Taken from the stand -Donegal's first goal

0994136C6A69430E9C14D946B2BF1A99-0000337703-0003654971-00800L-DD8B514D0D304CF18F1063B82BC7B00E.jpg

2E805BE3215E43C5825C60D2776F25C3-0000337703-0003654970-00800L-48365E1807A44CDDA132B9425CAFA2C6.jpg

97815F21B1994C76AAF070AD6E14A89A-0000337703-0003654969-00800L-5BE1F41C5A3D4A6A85FEE3D9C34B31A2.jpg

7B65452C9C6E449F963CE04E4335F8E9-0000337703-0003654968-00800L-B4EDE22266D44E74B576D2D59A3E88B3.jpg

58CD09E10918405BAC7D53B650837E14-0000337703-0003654966-00800L-407D184EFC334012AAAA323557858DF0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned 33 to 1, hope they went for it!

My young fella did...surprisingly, I haven't heard of him since 6 o'clock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

dog_pig wrote: »

He did everything to hand it to Dublin but fair play to Donegal they were always in control. McQuillan was worse than O'Reilly and McQuillan has a track record of being in favour of Dublin.

dog_pig wrote: »

no, credit where its due, in the current climate of pig farmers invading the pitch, its important to praise a ref who put in a solid 70 minutes.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    He did everything to hand it to Dublin but fair play to Donegal they were always in control. McQuillan was worse than O'Reilly and McQuillan has a track record of being in favour of Dublin.

Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Stinicker wrote: »

What a load of rubbish. Donegal won by playing great football and all Dublin supporters will acknowledge that. Isn't Dublin losing enough for you without this ref tripe. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

no, credit where its due, in the current climate of pig farmers invading the pitch, its important to praise a ref who put in a solid 70 minutes.

And he correctly gave McGee a black card for a body check

Many would have bottled it, and it might have swung things back Dublin's way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Ref was okay... Though he probably should have sent off McCarthy in the first minute, and Murphy in the second half ... The serious problem for referees is lack of consistency... They seem to cherry pick which incidents for which they want to apply the black card rule...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I couldnt get over how gracious the Dublin supporters were after the game today. I'd say 10 shook my hand and wished us the best for the final. A taxi driver (wearing a Dublin jersey) was stopped alongside us at lights, he rolled down his window to congratulate us.

Never seen anything like that. EVER.

Fair play to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

I couldnt get over how gracious the Dublin supporters were after the game today. I'd say 10 shook my hand and wished us the best for the final. A taxi driver (wearing a Dublin jersey) was stopped alongside us at lights, he rolled down his window to congratulate us.

Fair play to Dublin.

Cause you deserve it. Well done Donegal, awesome performance. Would love a final to look forward to but there ya go. All the best.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fair play to Dublin.

ABSOLUTELY, we experienced the same in 2012, I was genuinely shocked at how many came up after, remember its the media that pains a public picture, behind it all, 99% of them are genuine people who love their team as much as the rest of us love ours.

Incredible game, never saw that coming, the odds on Donegal V Kerry wud have been nuts.

Can't call it, but I think with Gooch able for a possible appearance that the cute lads from Kerry could win it.

Fabulous advert for our game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Mark McHugh seems like a nice guy, but he shouldnt be on the panel tonight... And his brother on the team.. They should have had a Dub to give some sort of balance at least...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mark McHugh seems like a nice guy, but he shouldnt be on the panel tonight... And his brother on the team.. They should have had a Dub to give some sort of balance at least...

So you would take a Donegal man off the panel as its not balanced, but then put a Dublin lad in.. for balance..... the computer says no!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I don't know. He gave a very fair assessment of the game despite his allegiance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Did he switch hands? It's a technical foul if he did.

Can anyone think why Michael Murphy had a problem with Dermot Connolly? Do they have history? Twice he went in looking to hurt him.

True, nasty punch to the stomach in the second half. Should have saw red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

thelad95 wrote: »

Switching hands is more throwing the ball from one hand to the other. Might need to see it again but McFadden had his left hand on it, then both hands, then his right hand.

True, nasty punch to the stomach in the second half. Should have saw red.

This was already discussed in thread, it was not a punch as the replay proved.

EunanMac wrote: »
    This was already discussed in thread, it was not a punch as the replay proved.

The replay confirmed it was a punch in my opinion. I'm not trawling through thirty odd pages to see if it's already been mentioned.

The replay confirmed it was a punch in my opinion. I'm not trawling through thirty odd pages to see if it's already been mentioned.

It was well discussed, and as the replay proved his forearm connected not his fist.
    So try again.
    Dublin were beat fair and square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I'm not bitter
    I just don't like their fans, their manger or their style

But I will give them credit for 2012, and I have said that before here, they played far more expansive football than in 2011 or since.

Their fans go around like they are the greatest thing since the Kerry golden years, they need to be reminded that they have less All Ireland than Mayo, Tipp, Wexford, Kildare etc etc.

Their manager has and unbelievable ego, and has already alienated at least two fine footballers, and god only know how many younger promising guys who we will never find out about because they did not do things Jimmy's way.
    He has never missed an importunity to try and play pathetic mind games in the media, and if it's not him that's doing it's one of his lackeys.

And their style of football is pure anti-football. They will never thrill the neutral the way Mayo and Kerry did last week.
    The 2011 SF should be used as a CIA torture technique.

As I said I would like them to win so that Mayo or Kerry could beat seven colours of s**te out of them on the biggest stage, but if I am watching it on Sunday I will be cheering Dublin all the way, cos the sight of them just sickens me.

This post needs to be revisited.

The team, players and mentors, have given great joy to the people of Donegal over the last four years. The play with passion, courage, honesty, commitment and belief. They are fine ambassadors for our county and they carry themselves with great dignity off the pitch.
    They are fortunate to be led by an exceptional individual. Jim McGuinness is a man of vision with the courage of his convictions. He has transformed the fortunes of this team and has brought a whole new tactical dimension to the game of gaelic football. They were written off last year after the drubbing Mayo gave them. This year. with a fully fit team, they have shown their true ability.
    Whatever happens in the next three weeks the people of Donegal will always be grateful for the journey they have brought us on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fantastic spectacle today, well done to Jim and the lads, never seen that result coming, especially after the 1st 10mins.

Although I think most Dubs were gracious, still too many little digs at Donegal about their style. Its light years away from where they were in 2011, they attack as much as anyone these days.

Darragh Maloney said today at one point, after Donegal has scored their 2nd goal, something along the lines of "Donegal are not here to entertain but to win". As if they were playing like they did in '11. I'm sure most people found them entertaining to watch today.

There will be more of it over the next few days too, as the Dublincentric media try to understand how their Galactico's were beaten. They won't analyse it correctly and say that they were outclassed, but instead we will hear plenty more talk of defences and puke football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Stop the goading and baiting and keep it civil. Cards and Bans will be handed out if it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭wishmaster200

did dublin win the toss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

did dublin win the toss?

No Murphy won the toss and elected to defend the Hill in the first half, one of the many good decisions he made today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

corny wrote: »
    Can anyone think why Michael Murphy had a problem with Dermot Connolly? Do they have history? Twice he went in looking to hurt him.

Maybe cos Connolly was one of the few playing well? Or maybe just coincidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

the bookies got it wrong... Donegal @ 7-1 Dublin @ 1-10, they are going to have to try and balance their books now Id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fair play to Dublin.

We're generally a gracious bunch. :)

As I said earlier the best team won. No won could complain about how it panned out.

The difference in losing semi finals like today and against Mayo in 2012 is simply because by he best team won. Conversely look at us v Cork in 2010 and everytime I saw a Cork shirt walking from HQ to Connolly I wanted to deck them. It's all about a contextual loss. In 2009 Kerry wiped the floor with us and Galvin showed a masterclass at no point was I bitter about the result because I couldn't complain.

Today was one of those days.

The odd bitterness being showed to Dublin on here by some is actually mental when you consider how the game and the crowd were afterwards.

However, I think I speak for all of us Metropolitans when I say "HON DONEGAL" come the 21st.

• Advertisement

Maybe cos Connolly was one of the few playing well? Or maybe just coincidence

No the game was over when he went for him the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

Better team won no doubt.

Dublin's run of walkovers to the semi-final really showed today. They weren't battle-hardened at all. 2011 they had tough, close games against Kildare & Donegal. In 2013 the semi-final against Kerry had them ready for the final. A team who has gone to the well will usually prevail against a team that has had it easy... especially if they are of comparable ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Didn't see Donegal winning this and after today anything is possible in sport. Kerry won't have it easy in final that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

thelad95 wrote: »

No - he completed the hand switch legally - kept his left hand on it until right hand had connected - took at least 7 steps however so on that basis it should have been allowed.

Though having said that I would estimate that every MD McCauley solo run should be a technical foul as well to pick one examples....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I do think a lot was made with Dublin dominating football for next 10 years. In 2011 they stole the AI off Kerry who were 4 points clear in 64th min and then made few mistakes in possession that brought Dublin back into game with Mcmemains goal. In 2012 they were beaten well by Mayo. In 2013 they nearly lost to Kerry until the 69th min when they got one break and Mcmemain scored a goal to get Dublin clear and Connolly and Rock got the insurance scores to get victory. They only beat Mayo in final by a point. 2014 they steamrolled everyone but weren't up to it when they met Donegal. Leinster didn't do any justice to Dublin this year and that's why they lost today. Same as Cork in 2011, we were hot favourites that day against Mayo and Mayo destroyed us. Dublin are a great team even after today's result and will be back competing in 2015.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement