Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Donegal Sunday 31 August AI semifinal Mod Warning Posts #392 #541

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Great match to watch, brilliant comeback.
    Roll on Kerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

The Dublin team and management seem a decent bunch alright but going by the thread yesterday, many Dublin fans thought they were already in the final. That sort of overconfidence can take hold in a county and affect players as much as they try to avoid it.

I was all around town yesterday and the general consensus from Dub fans i spoke to was that this was a formality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Its hard to see Dublin getting a score of much less than 20 points regardless of how defensive Donegal are and the way Donegal are playing this year I can't see them racking up that big a score.

Donegal need to move Michael Murphy into the full forward line.Although he does a decent job out the field his lack of pace will be exposed.If they played with McBrearty ,Murphy and McFadden in an orthodox full forward line and used the long ball more often Donegal might have a chance as Dublins full back line hasn't really been fully tested yet and they are all good ball winners and could create a few goals which they are going to need to get.

Donegal need to be more attacking in this match the overly defensive style is not going to be as effective as it is against other teams.The blanket defence was beaten by Dublin in 2011 when they started to run hard at Donegal and one thing Dublin are extremely good at these days is running hard.

Donegal need to improve alot to have any sort of a chance. I think they will up their game but I'd still fancy Dublin to win by 8 or 9 points.If Donegal continue their current form Dublin could give them the sort of hiding they have dished out to the rest of their opponents this summer.

egg-on-your-face.jpg

:pac: :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm not Anti-Dublin in anyway but this is a fantastic result, I love when a team comes into a game with no one giving them a chance and they come out and turn the championship on it's head.

Will the neutrals be spoiled again in the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I hope Donegal give them a game and think they may be the first team to stay within 10 points of Dublin, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't more than 6 points in it at the end. I'd expect the final to be similarly handy for Dublin.

6 points. Bang on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well I dont think anybody would have expected Dublin to miss the sort of chances they did in the second half... It was like the sort of collapse that used to happen to Dublin pre-Jim Gavin... like against Kerry, and the collapse against Mayo in 2006. I didnt think we would see that sort of collapse from this era of players..

Of course not and as a Dubs fan i am as disappointed as the next man, i just found some of the comments funny like "shooting fish in a barrel" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Whatever happens in the final this match is the greatest management achievement of all time. From Mayo last year to this is one of the greatest turnarounds in field sport history. He is one of the few managers who makes first half changes. Plus they didn't scrape it. Astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Stinicker wrote: »
    Glory Donegal, defeated 16 men and used to long ball and went for goals. Great to see this team of cynics and their cocky supporters dumped. All I was hearing was how much Dublin would hammer Kerry by. A great day for football, Kerry V Donegal, two great counties of nice people, great supporters and better still great footballer who play the long ball in. Their was no Tyrone tactics by Donegal today and they played it just like Kerry, long ball in, mark man to man. Glory Donegal.

Oh get over yourself. Kerry play a blanket defence this year. Also Donegal mark man-to-man???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Not sure they were, few breaking balls in it really. Goals change games

Was an excellent game, higher standard than yesterday I thought

Can't tell if you're being serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Dublin, the greatest side to ever play football to win by 40 points after they unleash the bench (tm) Who by themselves would probably win the all Ireland.
    It's going to be like shooting fish in a barrel
    Lapin wrote: »
    Dublin County Board should send out for some decent silver polish and cloths because they're gonna be busy tarting up the Sam Maguire for the next year or two.

From the first page alone :)

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Not sure they were, few breaking balls in it really. Goals change games

Was an excellent game, higher standard than yesterday I thought

I know it hurts but that's the truth. Gavin got tactically destroyed and all of the smart footballers were wearing green and gold. Outplayed and out-sussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Bet Dublin at their own game unreal stuff by Donegal built on belief McGuinness and your team take a bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dublin conceded 3 14

Not much science to figure out what happened there

The funny thing is some genius on RTE before the match said that if cluxton is the no. 1 goalkeeper in the country then Durkin is no. 2, such utter nonsense. Durkin is a brilliant shot stopper and cluxton is a mediocre one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

going to win 5 all irelands in a row lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What arrogance? Muppets in the papers or on twitter?

Not a single one of us going to the game today thought we'd win this easily. This is a quality Donegal team and they fully deserved their victory. They completely outplayed us.

Stop talking ****.

Ah come off it please..

None if ye thought yed win it easily?.. Have you been living under a rock?.. The match thread yesterday, the first 3 pages of this,
    Dublin were unbeatable, would stroll through it.. Kerry may as well not show up..

Was painful to read.. Donegal werent given a hope.. Fair play, they played spectacularly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Aspiring wrote: »
    Can't tell if you're being serious.

No I thought it was. Thought yesterday was so intense, but lacking in quality. Some of the points first half by Dublin and counter attacking by Donegal were unreal today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We just didnt beat the Dubs..........we whipped their ****ing asses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What arrogance? Muppets in the papers or on twitter?

Not a single one of us going to the game today thought we'd win this easily. This is a quality Donegal team and they fully deserved their victory. They completely outplayed us.

Stop talking ****.

In fairness I have heard countless Dub Fans interviewed on Jones's Road and around the city Saying that they were just here to hand out the hidings

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I thought we'd win but only by a point . This is a surprise and hope we've redeemed ourselves after the 2011 semi

Hard game against Kerry in the final

Happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great match and an unbelievable performance from Donegal.

Dublin only have themselves to blame for this.Far too many bad misses, didn't show Donegal enough respect they should have tightened up early in the second half and calmed things for about for 10 minutes.Bernard Brogan went missing today.

This is only the second time that Dublin had to endure serious pressure in the second half of games. The won last year because Mayo did'nt cash in when Dublin imploded in the last 10 mins. Today Donegal capitalised on the Dubs belief that they were unbeatable. Durkan outfoxed Dublin with his kickouts, particularly in that second half. Superb display by Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

SeaFields wrote: »
    Half time is the last thing Donegal need right now.

I said that just before half time. How wrong was I. Donegal kept up great intensity and ran them ragged. Savage fitness out of them and thoroughly deserved their victory. Cracking final instore.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I know it hurts but that's the truth. Gavin got tactically destroyed and all of the smart footballers were wearing green and gold. Outplayed and out-sussed

Ah lads enjoy your day in the sun and good luck in the final. You were very clinical today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

This must be one of the best football seasons of the last thirty years... Or is it just made look better because of the "puke" football of the early 2000s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Ah come off it please..

None if ye thought yed win it easily?.. Have you been living under a rock?.. The match thread yesterday, the first 3 pages of this,
    Dublin were unbeatable, would stroll through it.. Kerry may as well not show up..

Was painful to read.. Donegal werent given a hope.. Fair play, they played spectacularly !

All utter nonsense and setting yourself up for a fall.

And thats exactly what happened. No one with an iota of sense thought we'd stroll this.

Congratulations Donegal. Marvellous team performance.
    In fairness I have heard countless Dub Fans interviewed on Jones's Road and around the city Saying that they were just here to hand out the hidings

Those are the same clowns that only turn up when the bandwagon is on full flow, while people like me who go to League games in February get ****ed over.

Not that I need tickets now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Hibbeler wrote: »
    And what did Dublin do to Monaghan in the Quarter final??
    Other than Donegal (after today obviously) they would be more than capable of doing the same to all other Ulster teams

donegal had there homework done on dublin ,they had a game plan and stuck to it and were very impressive today , yes monaghan were well beatin in the 1/4 final but like all the leinster teams before them this year they were far too open with there tactics , i have seen it all too often with clare teams against the likes of cork and kerry in the past , giving teams far too much respect, but in general you couldnt tell me that people in counties like kildare , meath , laois and westmeath would be happy with there positions in the world of gealic football at the moment and with the demise of offaly and the relagation of longford at wexfords expense to division 4 it has as i said in my post been a massive drop in class in the last couple of years in leinster

• Advertisement

We all have our muppets in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Maith thú Dhún na nGall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

egg-on-your-face.jpg

:pac: :D

Yep.I called it wrong as did a lot of people.Fair play to Donegal hopefully they can put in as good a performance in the final.they really showed what a great team they are.That was better than any of their 2012 performances in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

any media pundits call this result??

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

This must be one of the best football seasons of the last thirty years... Or is it just made look better because of the "puke" football of the early 2000s?

Which years are you referring to? I'm guessing only 2003?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Murphy himself said that they were coming in as "no-hopers" against a super Dublin side - it was a super performance from Donegal and exploiting the holes being left in the Dublin defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is it just me or was that one of the best semi's ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I feel like I'm going in to a trance watching Jim McGuinness... :eek:

"If you believe you can do it, then you can do it"... So I am gonna do it.. I'm going to mow the lawn, cos I have the belief that I can do it... ;)

Great weekend's football.. :-)

Yep.I called it wrong as did a lot of people.Fair play to Donegal hopefully they can put in as good a performance in the final.they really showed what a great team they are.That was better than any of their 2012 performances in my opinion.

We all get it wrong from time to time :)

donegal had there homework done on dublin ,they had a game plan and stuck to it and were very impressive today , yes monaghan were well beatin in the 1/4 final but like all the leinster teams before them this year they were far too open with there tactics , i have seen it all too often with clare teams against the likes of cork and kerry in the past , giving teams far too much respect, but in general you couldnt tell me that people in counties like kildare , meath , laois and westmeath would be happy with there positions in the world of gealic football at the moment and with the demise of offaly and the relagation of longford at wexfords expense to division 4 it has as i said in my post been a massive drop in class in the last couple of years in leinster

Monaghan isnt a great yardstick because anyone who knows football would see that they were always going to struggle in Croker without the claustrophobic ulster atmosphere. Wide open spaces were always going to kill Monaghan. Difference with Donegal is they have McGuinness who, in fairness, is a brilliant tactician

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

From AA road watch ,be careful around Croke Park - a wagon has just crashed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Must say in a plesant surprise the latter part of the football championship has been far more entertaining than the hurling this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ch20

Huge upset by donegal.Dublin were huge favorites to win this game. Dublin looked shell shocked when they went a few points behind. Dublin needed a goal to get back in the game.very entertaining game for the neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

A fantastic weekend for Gaelic football! Fair play to Donegal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭VanDinkle

From the first page alone :)

2 of the three posters are not from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

muffler wrote: »
    Is it just me or was that one of the best semi's ever?
    Good to see I wasn't the only person excited watching the Dubs getting their arses handed to them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ch20 wrote: »
    Huge upset by donegal.Dublin were huge favorites to win this game. Dublin looked shell shocked when they went a few points behind. Dublin needed a goal to get back in the game.very entertaining game for the neutrals.

Saw Donegal today as 5/1 to win for odds like that for a football semi was outragous 2 bad I could not take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oh Sweet Mother of Fcuking God. Charlie Haughey, Brian Mullins, Samantha Mumba,, Kevin Heffernan, Dickie Rocke, Your Boys took one Hell of a Beating.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Saw Donegal today as 5/1 to win for odds like that for a football semi was outragous 2 bad I could not take it.

6/1 this morning.

7/1 yesterday. The Dubs were 1/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

None of the proper Dublin fans taught we would walk that game we where confident but rightly so.

Dublins defence let them down big time can't believe the space they gave Donegal at the back for those goals awful.

You could tell they where frustrated with not been able to play there game the constant defence on them you could see Dublin where starting to lose there nerve.

Very annoying because Dublin had it in them to win that game they just came up against a system that's incredibly hard to come from behind against.

Can't see it being a great final because I think donegal will control the game don't think kerry are the finished article yet.

Just very disappointed with this all the unnecessary hype will make it even worse having to listen to all the crap Dublin where to confident bla bla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

If Donegal win the final they will be the first side since Armagh to win All Ireland from playing their football in div 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Well done Donegal, they got everything right in terms of tactics and won well. Dublin can have no complaints about the result.

Hard lesson for Dublin today. The farcical Leinster championship is doing them no favours. Steamrolling second tier opponents all year is no preparation for a white hot battle like today.

Hoping the kingdom can now do a mcguinness on mcguinness but it will be a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Can't see Donegal winning the final now. Kerry will learn from Dublin's mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

In the first half Donegal went out to 18/1 when they were 5 points down on the live betting.;)

• Advertisement

mickeyk wrote: »
    Well done Donegal, they got everything right in terms of tactics and won well. Dublin can have no complaints about the result.

Hard lesson for Dublin today. The farcical Leinster championship is doing them no favours. Steamrolling second tier opponents all year is no preparation for a white hot battle like today.

Hoping the kingdom can now do a mcguinness on mcguinness but it will be a big ask.

Maybe the same with Mayo, neither had a real test before semi

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement