Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog neutering Cost

• 26-08-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering does anybody know the cost of getting a male dog neutered? He's a large retriever.
    Is it worth pricing around or is it a set price for all vets in an area?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Gee_G wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering does anybody know the cost of getting a male dog neutered? He's a large retriever.
    Thanks

It varies from vet to vet. Make sure you know the weight of your dog before you ring for quotes.

Male neutering is a fairly simple operation but do make sure you are happy with the vet if you don't have one that you use regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Toulouse wrote: »
    It varies from vet to vet. Make sure you know the weight of your dog before you ring for quotes.

Male neutering is a fairly simple operation but do make sure you are happy with the vet if you don't have one that you use regularly.

Oh that's good to know, I'll have to check his weight later. I was looking into the subsidised neutering but unfortunately there are no more vouchers available for that until January and don't think we can wait that long! Thanks a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If you're based in Dublin I think there's a couple of places that do reduced cost neutering. Failing that sometimes local rescues run schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

have you tried the Blue Cross or the Dogs Trust?

Unfortunately I'm not in Dublin, I'm in the Midlands. I was in touch with dogs trust and they gave me the phone numbers of all of the participating vets in my area that do the subsidised vouchers but none until January! :( Just can't afford the full whack at the minute(I'm presuming it'll cost 100/120,that may even be unrealistic!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Are both testes in the scrotum?

Because, if like Hugo, he has one... or none... It's a whole different operation.

Ours cost 170 as one was internal, up near his kidney!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Unfortunately I'm not in Dublin, I'm in the Midlands. I was in touch with dogs trust and they gave me the phone numbers of all of the participating vets in my area that do the subsidised vouchers but none until January! :( Just can't afford the full whack at the minute(I'm presuming it'll cost 100/120,that may even be unrealistic!!)

All creatures in Roscommon town quoted me 75 euro for my fella, he is a really big german shepherd. They are supposed to be really good, I should be in with them over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hi,
    Thanks

What age is your goldie OP? Is he old enough to get neutered?

What age is your goldie OP? Is he old enough to get neutered?

He is six.

He is six.

He's plenty old so, fully grown!!
    What is the urgency that it can't wait until January? Have you a female due in heat?

• Advertisement

He's plenty old so, fully grown!!
    What is the urgency that it can't wait until January? Have you a female due in heat?

No, but some of our neighbours do and he's roaming a lot(we're out in the country)

No, but some of our neighbours do and he's roaming a lot(we're out in the country)

Regardless of whether he's neutered or not he'll still roam if he's not adequately secured. At 6 years old it's more likely to be a learned behaviour than roaming after females in heat. You should invest your money in a secure run or fence to keep him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please secure your dog, neutering will not stop this. Its illegal for your dog to roam and you run the risk of the dog being stolen, run over and killing livestock. Be responsible and ensure your dog is secure and under control at all times. That should be your priority, not neutering!!!

andreac wrote: »
    Please secure your dog, neutering will not stop this. Its illegal for your dog to roam and you run the risk of the dog being stolen, run over and killing livestock. Be responsible and ensure your dog is secure and under control at all times. That should be your priority, not neutering!!!
    I asked about the cost of neutering, but thank you!

Regardless of whether he's neutered or not he'll still roam if he's not adequately secured. At 6 years old it's more likely to be a learned behaviour than roaming after females in heat. You should invest your money in a secure run or fence to keep him in.

This fella is like Houdini.(with anything we have tried before now) We are hoping over the next couple of months to build him a good big run. He is tied up at night and we walk him but we were hoping he would learn to stay around the house. A lot of his roaming coincides with their dogs in heat.
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

This fella is like Houdini.(with anything we have tried before now) We are hoping over the next couple of months to build him a good big run. He is tied up at night and we walk him but we were hoping he would learn to stay around the house. A lot of his roaming coincides with their dogs in heat.
    Thanks for your help.

But the problem is, that neutering him at this stage, probably won't stop him roaming after bitches in heat. If its something that he's been doing, he will know what the scent is, and will still go, a learnt behaviour, so you may be wasting your money neutering him.

Advertisement