Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Mountains Can You See From The City?

• 26-08-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭

I'm a relatively new Limerick dweller and was just wondering about this the other evening when I noticed some mountains to my East/South East. I know there are hills to the north and I've been over them but I'm wondering what the other mountains are to the South or East? They look to be either in Cork or Tipp. Actually, I'm wondering if there are two sets of mountains really. One to the South and another set to the East?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your probably talking about the Galtee mountains if your looking towards the E/SE direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Not strictly speaking mountains, but the Silvermines and Keeper Hill is visible to the NE, about 35 kms from Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

you were prob looking at keeper hill just outside newport either that or Rearcross ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Slieve Felims to the east, Ballyhouras and Galtees to the south east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Galtees not visible from Limerick.

Its hills you see as posted above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Galtees most definately visible from Limerick on a clear day. Walking across the fly over in Ballinacurra/Dooradoyle heading towards crescent shopping centre you can see them to the south east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Galtee, Ballyhoura and Silvermine Mountains are all clearly visible from Limerick on a fine day. The Galtees can be seen from Bunratty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

.... or the high rocky slopes of the Cliffs of
    Dooneen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Himalayas are that direction. Perhaps it's them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The south face of Woodcock Hill is visible from most of Limerick.
    You can even see the foothills and base camp when visibility allows :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Use Google Earth application on your PC or phone, and you can easily see what mountains are visible to what direction. Just make sure your eye altitude is close to the ground to get accuracy.

The whole of the Galtees are easily visible to the south east.
    Seefin and Ballyhoura mountains are to the south.
    The hills between Newcastle West and Castleisland hide the Kerry mountains from view otherwise you could easily see Carrauntohil on a clear day to the south west.
    Woodcock Hill to the north west, with the radome "Golf Ball" on the top.
    Slieve Berna and the Arra mountains (with Ton Tionne) to the north towards the north-east, with the Shannon coming between them.
    Keeper Hill and the Silvermines to the north-east and east.
    Devil's Bit is just a little further around the horizon to the east - I can see that from my office window in Castletroy.
    On the very clearest of days, the top of Slievenamon would just be visible to the ESE if you had a clear tree and building-free horizon. You can see it from the golf course in Castletroy anyway at 73 km distance.

Just to give an idea about how small this country is, from the top of Galtymore a few years back I have seen the sea at Dungarvan looking over the Vee, I could easily see Moneypoint and Mount Brandon. I could see counties Wexford, Galway and Kerry at the same time, up through Offaly. A decent pair of binoculars on a tripod, a decent map and a cold clear day with very little atmospheric haze was needed though.
    From the hills above Spiddle, you can see the sea cliffs of Brandon, though that may require some helpful atmospheric temperature gradients.

This very useful app is one that I now use regularly to see what hills are visible from where I want to check, either my own location or pretty much anywhere worldwide.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.peakfinder.area.alps

It generates a lovely line drawing of the horizon from the selected location, and it's pretty nifty to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Popoutman wrote: »
    This very useful app is one that I now use regularly to see what hills are visible from where I want to check, either my own location or pretty much anywhere worldwide.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.peakfinder.area.alps

It generates a lovely line drawing of the horizon from the selected location, and it's pretty nifty to be honest.

It costs €3.99 and the first few reviews aren't very positive on the app.

I'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

phog wrote: »
    It costs €3.99 and the first few reviews aren't very positive on the app.
    I use just webpage - peakfinder.org and is free.

Advertisement