Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Powered Cameras

Options
  • 26-08-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

On the fathers farm we have no power other than a generator, no internet other than 3G.

I bought him a solar panel for charging batteries etc this week and for powering small lights.

Can someone tell me if this is possible:

Basically a stand alone IP based camera, powered from a 12v (that can have an inverter on it) That battery is then charged by the solar panel and at night discharges to power the camera.

In my mind i'm thinking, Camera can be logged into via the web. As we have no internet, one of those 3G wireless hotspots can be used to provide the Internet access and then have it recording back at the house if needs be and the whole thing powered by the solar panel.

Have I lost my mind?

Thinking outloud here:

Power
    1. Connect Solar Panel to a battery.
    2. Mount CCTV Camera.
    3. Run power from battery to camera

Signal
    4. Connect 3g wireless hotspot in vicinity of Camera.
    5. Log into camera via internet browser.

Thoughts:
    -Point 5 is where I am going to run into the most trouble. Is it possible to actually get the camera to log into the wireless hotspot without an intermediary such as a laptop. I mean, how do I get the camera to actually "log into" the wifi as such?

Comments

Advertisement