Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst vet visit of my life.

• 26-08-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, his age finally caught up with him. At almost eleven going on 1, Shadow has been diagnosed with cancer in his lymph nodes with a rough life expectancy of two months to possibly a year. She might as well have told me she was cutting both my legs off. She gave him steroids and told us that with his good form that we should continue as normal.

Why do we keep doing this to ourselves when it hurts so much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

So so very sorry to hear SSB...

How was the cancer diagnosed? Is a second opinion maybe in order?

My boys are 3 years, and 9 months respectively. All I can say to comfort you is this...

If I was on here in 8 years time, with news like this about Hugo or in ten years time with Jack... I'd be quick to remind myself that those long long years were worth all the pain and heartache.

Little comfort to you today, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Aw, I'm really sorry. Not much comfort today, but thats a good age for a dog, way too short for us to lose them at of course. I lost a very special dog at 5 years of age from Lymphoma, way too young. Just enjoy the time that you have left with him.

I really am sorry for your news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Why do we keep doing this to ourselves when it hurts so much?
    Because of the joy and love they give you through the years spent with them and the bittersweet memories afterwards. Or as I put it to people who ask how can I handle to foster (and place / lose due to various conditions before they came into care); "I can't change the world but I can make a positive impact in my corner of the world for a few souls who desperately need it".

I'm so sorry for your news but don't focus on the pain; focus on the joy you can have in the time left and make the most out of it for both of you (easier said then done I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Vet had a good feel of all his nodes, the ones in his neck and shoulder are the size of golf balls and the ones in his abdomen and legs have started to swell too. She took a sample to be sure but she said shes very confident of the diagnosis given the rapid decline in just three days. I dont regret a second with him but fluck me, its painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

So sorry to hear that ShaSha :(

Just spoil him rotten and remember that even though he's sick, he's a lucky lucky boy and whatever time he has left will be the best it can possibly be.

• Advertisement

Me and OH have been sitting here bawling on the bed because our little baby girl will never know him. Snotting all over each other while Shadow plays fetch with himself and his kong lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Oh no poor Shadow and poor you!! Spoil him for sure!! I've been spoiling Bailey the last week just in case something happens tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Ah SSB I'm so sorry to hear this :(.
    Nothing can prepare you for hearing the worst, not even if your dog is well into his teens, I dread the day it happens with ours, and hopefully it's a good bit away yet.

Do his bucket list, let him eat whatever he loves the most, get him the treats that are bad for his teeth, bring him to the seaside if he loves the sea, let him bark at whoever he wants, give him anything he wants to shred or destroy, just enjoy, and let him enjoy the time he has left. And take as many photos and videos as possible for your baby girl so she'll know him in years to come. Mind yourself. xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats dreadful news altogether, so sorry for you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I saw the last post, and really hoped it wasn't what I thought it was. So very sorry to hear. Shadow has a great life. Just continue to love and spoil him. And take lots of photos with your little girl, so she can see for herself what a great mate he is.

Once again - I'm so sorry. It must hurt like ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so sorry about Shadow. I suppose the reason we have our pets is that they make our lives so much better, simply by being there. Their short lives are the price we pay for all the love that they give us.

Eleven years of destroyed post, missing socks, chewed knickers, ruining other dogs walks, drooly windows, hairy clothes and leg cramps at night.

And id give my left kidney for eleven more!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aw no Shashabear :( My heart is broken for you. That's awful news.
    Like Abajanincork, I feared the worst when you originally posted about this problem, but obviously hoped I was wrong :(
    I've been where you are twice in the past couple of years, knowing that I only had a limited time left with my doggy pals, and all I can do is echo what the others have said, I particularly like BLM's suggestion of a bucket list :o There is a *small* degree of comfort being prepared for it, but that doesn't make it any easier when the time comes. My experience with the condition Shadow has is that the dogs were really good up until the very end, and enjoyed life right up to the end.
    Shadow has had a fantastic life with you, and indeed without you it's unlikely he'd have been so lucky, and so loved and cared for every day you've known him.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shashabear, I'm so sorry. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry to hear you got bad news. Im dreading the day i have to do the same with mine.

Hope you can get through the bit of time you have with your boy without it being too hard. Keep strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah no ShashaBear is it Lymphoma? So so sorry to hear this but as DBB said dogs do feel well in themselves right up until the end. Such an awful diagnosis to get though, I remember it all too well back in 2007 with my own dog :(:(

Would chemo be an option by any chance or even a road you're willing to go down rather than the maintenance steroids?

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ah no ShashaBear is it Lymphoma? So so sorry to hear this but as DBB said dogs do feel well in themselves right up until the end. Such an awful diagnosis to get though, I remember it all too well back in 2007 with my own dog :(:(

Would chemo be an option by any chance or even a road you're willing to go down rather than the maintenance steroids?

Vet said she wouldnt perform chemo and didnt reccomend it besides :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If it's any comfort to you SSB. My cat was diagnosed with aggressive pancreatic cancer six weeks after I moved here in 2008. Prognosis was very poor, and like you the vet didn't give him long - a matter of weeks he told me. My cat was placed on Prendisolone for maintenance. He lived another two years.

Don't give up hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

So sorry to hear your sad news :(

Is there any possibility of a second opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Vet said she wouldnt perform chemo and didnt reccomend it besides :(

Well if you need any info just drop me a message. My dog was was 12 and lived until 14 1/2 with chemo and all of her lymph nodes were enlarged on diagnosis. She had a less aggressive form though (B-cell multicentric) so it responded well, with little or no side effects until the end. The difficult part is it's time consuming and expensive but dogs don't suffer the same side effects like in humans.Just in case you were researching your options etc ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Very sad for you ShaShaBear. I was in this situation with one of our dogs recently. The vet thought he had a few weeks left - we had him an extra 6 months - spoil him all you want now, kiss him to bits, and make the best of the time you have.

In retrospect after the shock of the diagnosis (he was 16 years old afterall) knowing we were on borrowed time, made the end easier. Making the decision to have him put to sleep was easier, because we were psyched up for it. We probably should have done it a couple days earlier than we did, but couldnt actually imagine that his time was up. We were terrified we might 'jump the gun' and do it too soon, but when the time comes you will know it. I would just say that if at all possible have the vet come to your home, when the time comes.

take care - hugs to you and your OH and Shadow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So sorry to hear Shashabear. I lost two of my dogs within the year at 14 and 15 respectively they were a major part of my adult life and I will never forget them. Shadow, hopefully will be able to be happy here long enough to create more memories.

Our pets lives are short but what they give us far outweighs the years they spend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Shashabear I'm so so sorry to hear your news, as others said I'm dreading the day I have to go through that with my fur baby Lola. My previous dog had cancer and lived an extra 2 years where she was the apple of our eye. It puts my complaints that Lola won't sleep in her own bed into perspective. Enjoy a heap of fun things with shadow, take loads of photos, cuddles and naughty treats. Be strong!

minipink wrote: »
    Shashabear I'm so so sorry to hear your news, as others said I'm dreading the day I have to go through that with my fur baby Lola. My previous dog had cancer and lived an extra 2 years where she was the apple of our eye. It puts my complaints that Lola won't sleep in her own bed into perspective. Enjoy a heap of fun things with shadow, take loads of photos, cuddles and naughty treats. Be strong!

Shadow is absolutely spoilt so its hard to find extra special things to do that we don't do normally! Weve started to give him more meat as he seems to be going off his food and were hoping to find a beach to take him to where thete are no other dogs about to annoy him as hes never been to one!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shashabear,

I'm so sorry to hear of your news about Shadow

The one consolation is that you will have time to grieve.

My first dog as an adult was a boy I adored who lived with us through hard time.
    He went into kennels when we finally got enough money to upgrade our kitchen, and died of a a heart attack aged seven in those kennels.

I coudn't believe my doggy soulmate was gone and was devastated by the loss

Savour the time you have left, make every day special, and remember them all when that sad day comes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shadow is absolutely spoilt so its hard to find extra special things to do that we don't do normally!

Awww :o I had the same dilemma when my own two oldies got their diagnoses... Actually now that I think of it my beautiful GSD was the same age as Shadow.
    On the beach front, is Shadow ok in the car? There's a fab beach not trillions of miles from you, north of the Boyne estuary at Seapoint, Termonfeckin. If you get the tide out low, it's a vast, quiet beach where you can quickly retreat to the dunes if you spot another dog in the distance. I can pm you directions if you like :)

That is assuming that you're not going to take off to a remote spot for holidays with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I don't know you but I like the rest on here feel your pain as we have all been through it
    you have been there up to this and im sure your love and strength will have you there at the end
    what a lucky doggy to have you

DBB wrote: »
    Awww :o I had the same dilemma when my own two oldies got their diagnoses... Actually now that I think of it my beautiful GSD was the same age as Shadow.
    On the beach front, is Shadow ok in the car? There's a fab beach not trillions of miles from you, north of the Boyne estuary at Seapoint, Termonfeckin. If you get the tide out low, it's a vast, quiet beach where you can quickly retreat to the dunes if you spot another dog in the distance. I can pm you directions if you like :)

That is assuming that you're not going to take off to a remote spot for holidays with him!

Would love to take him away but with the slightly less hairy baby, we are broke :o If you coulld give me directions that would be great! I'm sure he'd love it!

On a side note, any of you got any experience with dietary management? Obviously I'm not expecting anything close to a miracle (he's at least stage 3 lymphoma) but he's completely gone off his dried food!
    The steroid doesn't seem to have helped any - he's still very lethargic and has totally given up on his panic episode when we leave the house :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Shashasha bear I am so sorry to hear :( our eldest needs to get her yearly check up and vacs and I keep putting it off. Tbh I don't even know if she could walk to vets :( she has slowed down sooo much. I told myself today that I will bring her 2mo :(

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Shashasha bear I am so sorry to hear :( our eldest needs to get her yearly check up and vacs and I keep putting it off. Tbh I don't even know if she could walk to vets :( she has slowed down sooo much. I told myself today that I will bring her 2mo :(

I'd definitely go for it Millem. Getting the news has made us much more proactive about making Shadow more comfortable and I know silly things like him getting stiff and slowing down (before we realised he was sick) were kind of ignored in a denial sort of way because we just couldn't face that he was getting old.
    Vet told us that there is tonnes that can be given to spruce an older dog up these days!

Advertisement