Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst vet visit of my life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'd definitely go for it Millem. Getting the news has made us much more proactive about making Shadow more comfortable and I know silly things like him getting stiff and slowing down (before we realised he was sick) were kind of ignored in a denial sort of way because we just couldn't face that he was getting old.
    Vet told us that there is tonnes that can be given to spruce an older dog up these days!

Shashabear our prob is she is already on meds and supplements. Tbh I hadn't really noticed how much she slowed down :( she is on metacam and artriaid for her arthritis/hip/back problems and metacam is also for her glaucoma and incurrin for her incontinence :(
    She sleeps majority of day and it is an absolute nightmare trying to get her to walk on a walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Millem wrote: »
    Shashabear our prob is she is already on meds and supplements. Tbh I hadn't really noticed how much she slowed down :( she is on metacam and artriaid for her arthritis/hip/back problems and metacam is also for her glaucoma and incurrin for her incontinence :(
    She sleeps majority of day and it is an absolute nightmare trying to get her to walk on a walk

It happens so fast :( Steroids are not working for Shadow and it looks like hes giving up. He wont drink or eat despite oir best efforts and is pretty much just sleeping. Cant see him lasting two days let alone two months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

It happens so fast :( Steroids are not working for Shadow and it looks like hes giving up. He wont drink or eat despite oir best efforts and is pretty much just sleeping. Cant see him lasting two days let alone two months

it is so hard to watch them fade away it sounds like you may have to make that awful decision sooner than you would have liked

but you will know yourself when that time comes

my thoughts are with you I have been there with a 3 year old who I had to pts from kidney failure way too soon it was the final act of my love for her

**** im getting weepy just typing that guys are not supposed to cry but that's what memories do to us good ones especially

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

ShaShaBear, rusty was like that towards the end, and the only thing he would eat for me was a mix of yoghurt, peanut butter and banana. He would lick that from my fingers.

My heart goes out to you, it's tough to be in that position. It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through, and even now 4 months later it still hurts. But my consolation was that he was loved and pampered and was spoilt rotten!

my back up food is always tinned cat food it seems none of mine will refuse it no matter how under the weather they are

I suppose they think there getting one over the little ginger pain in the arse that seems to get great joy griggin them everyday walking past their runs with his tail at full mast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Give the tablets time to work. My cat refused all food and water for three days after the diagnosis, but he was getting the Prendisolone tablets. I was just preparing myself to bring him back, and called the vet to tell him. Vet suggested I call in for some tinned Hills which I did. Cat didn't want it, even though I warmed it up for him.

The thing that got him wanting food again? I'd made myself a lamb stew Bajan style. My cat always adored spicy food, and would gobble it up. I sat down with my plate. Cat jumped up on his usual position on the arm of the sofa, trying to rip my arm to shreds to give him some!! Of course, I gave him a plate...

After that - he was flying! Poached chicken and fish for a week after that (until His Lordship got bored with it) , then back on his Whiskas.

Give Shadow a bit of time. Maybe not spicy food (;)), but perhaps some poached chicken to tempt him?

Give the tablets time to work. My cat refused all food and water for three days after the diagnosis, but he was getting the Prendisolone tablets. I was just preparing myself to bring him back, and called the vet to tell him. Vet suggested I call in for some tinned Hills which I did. Cat didn't want it, even though I warmed it up for him.

The thing that got him wanting food again? I'd made myself a lamb stew Bajan style. My cat always adored spicy food, and would gobble it up. I sat down with my plate. Cat jumped up on his usual position on the arm of the sofa, trying to rip my arm to shreds to give him some!! Of course, I gave him a plate...

After that - he was flying! Poached chicken and fish for a week after that (until His Lordship got bored with it) , then back on his Whiskas.

Give Shadow a bit of time. Maybe not spicy food (;)), but perhaps some poached chicken to tempt him?

He's not on tablets, he got a shot of it. Vet said we should see an improvement pretty much within a few hours, but he's only gotten worse. Eating isn't too bad, we're going out tomorrow to pick up some chicken and mince and just going to let him eat meat. I managed to get about three handfuls of water into him, but he won't drink by himself and if I hold a bowl or cup to him he turns his head away. He's started to cough as well so we're going to try our best to get something into him, but I'm sort of expecting he won't see next week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

thats awful for you really sorry to hear that.i dread the day it happens to us and its not to far off by the looks of things.
    would it be too much to ask you to show us a pic of shadow?id love to see what hes like.

no problem if you dont want to.

This be the big scruffy bear :)

Aww. I'm so very sorry. :'( He's a lovely boy. Looks so contented...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Rusty used to lie like that!! He was a collie too, such a gentleman, but no shame:-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

So sorry to hear this. :( I lost a dog to lymphoma 4 years ago. She was on steroids for almost 4 months and while they didn't prolong her life, they did allow her to live normally and happily for the time she had left. I really hope you get a bit more time with Shadow. It's the worst time in the word, losing a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

So sad to read this ShaShaBear. An absolutely heartbreaking time for you.
    Sadly we've probably all been through this and we'll keep putting ourselves through it because there is no love like it.
    I really hope Shadow improves and you get to enjoy more time with him xo

Well to be honest we were resigned to him passing last night. He was wheezing and coughing, wouldn't touch water, even mixed with milk and from my hand. We were up ALL night checking on him!

Fast forward to this morning where he BARKED us out of bed to battle charge up the garden and warn intruders to GTFO. Then he drank a whole bowl of water, a 500g tray of mince and lost his mind (as usual) when we went to head out for an appointment. Swelling reduced considerably in his neck :D

Well to be honest we were resigned to him passing last night. He was wheezing and coughing, wouldn't touch water, even mixed with milk and from my hand. We were up ALL night checking on him!

Fast forward to this morning where he BARKED us out of bed to battle charge up the garden and warn intruders to GTFO. Then he drank a whole bowl of water, a 500g tray of mince and lost his mind (as usual) when we went to head out for an appointment. Swelling reduced considerably in his neck :D

Told you! :D

Special beef dinner for that boy!!!

Told you! :D

Special beef dinner for that boy!!!

He's running up and down the stairs fetching his toy (that he throws for himself) at the minute and has been picking at his dry food as well! Honestly he seems totally normal. Utterly selfish but hopefully he stays like this for a while, dreading seeing him go back to the way he was last night :(

brilliant news :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Fantastic news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great news!

Well the battle is all uphill for Shadow again. Was really pleased with his reaction to the steroids, but after just under a week, he is deteriorating again. He is still eating meat and tinned food, although it's difficult for him and he is still drinking water and peeing/pooping, but neither are excessive. He's struggling to get up and down the stairs and won't sleep on our bed unless we lift him. He's completely abandoned playing :(
    We're expecting and preparing to make a very hard decision sooner rather than later:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Unfortunately it's like that with steroids. When Ra got a shot she was like her old self again, leading the way on walks and into everything, then it wore off. She's on metacam now so she's not too stiff to get up on her chair, but she's slowed right down again. While she's eating well and enthusiastic for her walks I'm happy that she's happy, but recently she's started trembling after any exertion and has got me all worried about that.

Shadow goes to meet the really big fetching stick in the sky tomorrow at 11am. Hardest decision we have ever had to make but we know its the right one. He's living it up here with bowls of cornflakes and ginger biscuits.

Life will never be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Poor Shadow and poor you :(

Oh my God, I am so very sorry to read this. From what you last wrote, I really thought Shadow would pick up, just like my boy did and you could have more time with him.

I really feel for you. But you must be brave now. This is the last and the kindest thing you can do for your best friend. Remember - He loves you as much as you love him. And he'll always be with you. He'll always be your puppy.

See you at Rainbow Bridge, Shadow. Run free, big guy. :(

you should be proud of yourself for having the strength to make that decision so sorry it has to end this way but its the final act of love we can bestow on our 4 legged family members thoughts are with you

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

So sorry to read this, sleep well Shadow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:( I'm so sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I am so so sorry to hear that... poor shadow and poor you....I have a shiver down down spine thinking of my guy gone... ill be thiking of you both tomorrow XX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Like what jimf said you should be very proud you have made this decision for Shadow, not allowing him to suffer. So sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh no, poor you and Shadow. Hardest decision we pet owners have to ever make and face and i dread the day it happens with my gang.

Will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Advertisement