Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst vet visit of my life.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

SSB we made this decision for our dog a number of years ago and then weren't brave enough to see it through. She died six weeks later. Although I dont regret the time with her I feel guilty to this day about prolonging her suffering. I have absolute respect for your courage and selflessness at this time. He is lucky to have you, and to have had you as his person. Very sorry for all that you both are going through.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/parting.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

SSB I'm so sorry :(. But you know yourself it's the right thing to do for him.
    I just hope I'll know when it's the right time and not prolong the suffering for either of my pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I read on here some months back, a reply that went along the lines of...

Better to let them go a week too early, than a day too late...

So so sorry ShaShaBear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So sorry shashabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

terrible news. I feel so sad for you. But you know if his days are numbered anyway, maybe better to have him put to sleep now before he deteriorates again. Its a horrible decision to make, but with Shadows well being the only consideration here, its the right decision. Hugs to you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm so sorry, but it is an incredibly selfless loving act to let him slip away with people he loves with him, he won't know anything about it. If he is still interested in food, bring some with you, I have given ham and sausages just before they pass, so that their last moments are doggy perfect. Will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

So sorry for you both SSB :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thanks everyone, we're utterly heartbroken but at the same time there is a sense of peace about the house. I know all the worrying about if he's in pain will end, and I know we'll be with him when he drifts off and he won't know a thing in those last seconds except for love.

A lot of you on here know him from our countless problems with him :pac: I wouldn't change him now for all the money in the world. He will always be our little problem. I learnt everything I know about being a dog owner from Shadow, we made all our mistakes with him and we learned true love from him too. Tomorrow all of his pain will go away and he will be free, and some day when my heart doesn't ache so much I'll be able to use everything Shadow taught me to be the greatest doggie mama to a new best friend.

I always fretted in Shadow's later years that I wouldn't know the right time. I was afraid I would be too hasty, or worse, too selfish to let him go. But it gives me great inner peace to know that regardless of which is true, my last memory of my best friend will be a face full of relief and a waggy tail, and once he has that I know I've done the right thing.

If there's one thing Shadow loves, it's napping. This is a pretty long nap, buddy, but it's our gift to you.
    I love you, Deputy Dog :o
    a74b2084-8e0f-4320-ae9c-c85e3b2259a5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Oh ShaShaBear I'm so sorry to hear about Shadow :( I'm pregnant too and if anything happened to my furbabies I don't know how I'd cope. But at the same time the pain of missing them would be worth every moment of joy they have brought to me and, hopefully, me to them. I hope you make loads of wonderful memories in the time you have left to add to the 11 years of wonderful memories you already have xxx

Edit: Didn't realise I hadn't read all the posts, I see you are bravely letting Shadow go to the Bridge tomorrow, I wish you all the very best and lots of special hugs between now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so sorry. Even though you know that you've made the right decision and are doing the kindest thing it never makes it feel any easier. Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My heart is breaking for you, it's such a tough decision but unfortunately that's the price of loving a pet.
    It's been 4months since we lost Rusty and only now am I able to look at photos of him without crying. It has been tough, like you he was my first adult dog. I couldn't have loved him more and don't think I'll ever love that much again.
    Count your blessings, you have known the love of a truly special boy, that will stay in your heart forever.

Give him lots of hugs and kisses, my thoughts will be with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh,SSB, tears are rolling down my face for you and Shadow. I know nothing can make it better, but take some comfort from knowing that he'll know no pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I think it's a very brave and loving decision you've made. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

It's never easy. Take time for yourself/family

Run free Shadow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Feeling terribly sad for you here SSB... but as others have said, this is the bravest and most selfless final act of kindness that we can give our ailing pets :(
    Will be thinking of you tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Good luck today ShaShaBear xx Looking at the clock it's nearly 11, I can't stop thinking about you. I'm so sorry. I dread that day, most of us have or will be there at some point. You gave him such a great life, he'll remain in your heart forever. Wishing you all the strength you have to get through it.

Farewell Shadow x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

He will watch over you. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I was thinking of you and Shadow this morning SSB. You made very brave a selfless decision. as others have said you knew it was the right thing to do rather that to have him suffer longer just to have him around for you. So very very sad. I dread the day when my guys time comes (whether in his sleep or assisted). My heart goes out to you.

Run free to the rainbow bridge Shadow xo

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

My heart really does go out to you and your partner ssb but at least you can say you did your very best for Shadow and he went with dignity and love Xxx

Thinking of you and Shadow; really feel for what you've been through. Know Shadow will still be your constant companion in your heart x

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, things have been hard but I can honestly say not as hard as they would have been if we had left it too late or he ended up dying in agony by himself :(
    We were there at the very end and he didn't even get half of the first dose before he left for Rainbow Bridge. Vet said he was hanging on by a thread for us, and we did the right thing in taking his pain away. I dropped a piece of popcorn on the floor today and cried when he didn't hoover it off the floor. And again hanging clothes on the line when he didn't BARRELL out the back door in front of me to bark at imaginary cats :(

We got in touch with our local rescue and have volunteered as a foster family starting next weekend. We're not ready for a permanent addition just yet, but we're hoping all this extra love going to waste will do a homeless doggy some good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Thinking of you all ShaShaBear xo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

So sorry about Shadow, thinking of you all. I dread the day when mine get to that point.
    I've been there with the parents' old collie, Tramp, who was a family dog. When I went to visit one time he rapidly went downhill...he'd had bad turns before and my parents hoped he would bounce back. He didn't though and I persuaded them to make that difficult call to the vet. I was with him constantly in his last 24 hours and it was so upsetting to see him decline...when the vet came and confirmed what we knew, the one relief was that he wasn't going to get any worse and would pass peacefully.
    You did the kindest thing for Shadow, and his legacy will live on now through those that you will help through fostering.

Sounds like you definitely did the right thing by Shadow, he was ready to go and you gave him that quick and painless path to walk. Best of luck with the fostering, it's a fantastic thing to do - saving a life while maybe healing your heart that little bit x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

im pretty certain ssb any dog that comes into your life if only for a short time will have the best few weeks/months of their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Hi OP,

I was on the board and read through your post and it brought tears to my eyes. It's very clear from just reading your words that you were a wonderful puppy parent. I can't even imagine how difficult this was for you.

I have two rabbits that I love and one of them has vents disease and it was 50/50 for a while with him. I was in ribbons, so I cannot even begin to know what this feels like.

I wish you all the best and I know any animal would be utterly blessed to have you as their caretaker.

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. There have been such kind, heartfelt words here that I can honestly say have been of the utmost importance in the healing process. I have learned so much about being a good doggie mama from many of you here and all the wonderful compliments are a testament to your own fabulous selves :o

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

You are one brave and loving dog mumma. Wishing you strength and courage for the days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Best of luck with the fostering ShaSha, you won't regret it. Such a wonderful thing for you to do at a time like this. They will be very lucky dogs :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement