Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving from Limerick to Kerry - how to avoid Adare on a Friday afternoon

• 26-08-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi folks
    I will be driving to Killarney on Friday afternoon, I usually go through Adare but the traffic there on a Friday afternoon is a disaster.
    Just wondering is there a route I can use to bypass Adare? (I will be driving from the general Ballyneety region)?
    thanks!
    - BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If it bothers you that much you could hug the Estuary as far as Glin and head for Tralee, ducking through Castleisland via the N21 just before actually going into Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi folks
    I will be driving to Killarney on Friday afternoon, I usually go through Adare but the traffic there on a Friday afternoon is a disaster.
    Just wondering is there a route I can use to bypass Adare? (I will be driving from the general Ballyneety region)?
    thanks!
    - BB

An alternative is to go from Limerick towards croom via the M/N20, then head towards granagh/ballingarry....this brings you out onto Kilmallock/Newcastlewest road and so onwards to Newcastlewest and Kerry....I take that route quiet often....probably adds 10-15miles onto journey but saves a huge amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

kopfan77 wrote: »
    An alternative is to go from Limerick towards croom via the M/N20, then head towards granagh/ballingarry....this brings you out onto Kilmallock/Newcastlewest road and so onwards to Newcastlewest and Kerry....I take that route quiet often....probably adds 10-15miles onto journey but saves a huge amount of time

I often use this road too, its only about 5 miles more actually kopfan I clocked it one day but some of the road wouldn't be the best around Granagh but a great way to avoid Adare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi folks
    thanks!
    - BB

Just take the N69 route. It's only about 15 minutes extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Drive out thru Patrickswell village, keep on Adare road, you go over the motorway at Mount Earl bridge, keep straight then after sharp bend to left you take the next right. At the next junction you cross the main road ( it might be a staggered junction). To the right will bring you down past the Woodlands to the roundabout at the Lantern Lodge.

After crossing the junction you will pass the Tatch pub on you right, then you cross the Maigue, turn right at the T junction then left onto the Killarney road at the right side of Adare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jimgoose wrote: »
    If it bothers you that much you could hug the Estuary as far as Glin and head for Tralee, ducking through Castleisland via the N21 just before actually going into Tralee.

Why not continue on the N69? I does end up in Tralee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

The N69 will bring you to Tralee but you probably have more villages to go through and a lot less overtaking opportunities on it.

The only reason I'd use the N69 is it more scenic as you drive along the estuary.

Advertisement