Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening a UK bank account - advice

• 26-08-2014 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

I’m trying to open a bank account in the UK (England). As I have just moved here from Ireland, I have no credit history in this country. Also, my tenancy is not sufficient proof of address. I need a utility bill or a ‘notice of tax coding’, and of course I can’t get a utility bill without a bank account, so it’s catch 22.

So far I have visited the these banks and been told the following

Lloyds – Did not ask for proof of address; however, the only account they offered me was a ‘cash account’ – which means no overdraft, and that my ATM card could only be used at Lloyds and Halifax ATMs. Also, it couldn’t be used internationally (i.e. if I was back in Ireland). Also since it wouldn’t have an overdraft, it wouldn’t go towards building any credit history for the future. It was a bare bones account, and didn’t seem worth signing up for.

Nationwide – Cannot open up a bank account without a more official proof of address.

Natwest – Cannot open up a bank account without a more official proof of address.

HSBC – May accept tenancy agreement, but will have to wait at least a week for an appointment.

Barclay’s – Appointment booked for tomorrow, should accept tenancy agreement.

I really just want a standard bank account, or ‘classic account’, but it’s proving difficult. Has anyone who moved to the UK from Ireland before had similar issues? Any advice?

Which bank would you recommend as the best for an unmarried full-time employed person with no dependents or children?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nearly all UK banks have special account for those newly arrived into the country and with no proof of address etc. The quid pro quo is that they are rarely free.

Here's HSBC's offering.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/content_static/en/ukpersonal/pdfs/en/passport_brochure.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Do you live with other tenants? If so, get a copy of the bills - then have them sign a letter saying X is resident here. Sorted.

If you don't live with other people, get a mate with utility bills to do similarly - kip on their couch for the night if white lies are a problem for you.

Once the account is opened you can change the official address without needing any documentation, even back to an Irish address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Get the LLoyds account, its absolutely fine. No bank will give you an overdraft so hoping for one of those is way to optimistic. Paying utility bills on time will build your credit record.

You can easily change banks after a few months in the country using the switching service. I started with a Lloyds TSB account (as it then was) and was then able to move to a Santander 123 account 3 months later online.

Also, you don't really want to be using a UK debit card abroad anyway; most of the banks have ridiculous transaction charges for foreign currency transactions. Keep your Irish accounts open if you think there's any chance of going back to Ireland. You'll be able to get a high interest credit card in the UK (i.e. for people with bad credit records) with a tiny limit from someone like Aqua after about 6 months and the foreign transaction fees will be much less on that than a debit card.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I opened an account with RBS with a passport and my voting registration form. Once registered to vote they were able to check online and accepted it as proof of address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

HSBC accept tenancy agreement. Also they open a standard account with overdraft facility. Or at least they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 GradEngineer

I had a similar problem when i moved to the uk! Ask HR in work to send you out something... Or just ask for a letter from work showing your uk address! As for getting an overdraft... Youll be lucky!! Are you by anychance newly graduated from college?? If so a graduate account could be an option for an overdraft!

To help with your credit history you should join the register of electors in your locall area! Weirdly enough, youll be allowed to as an irish citizen and it helps to build it up!

I had a similar problem when i moved to the uk! Ask HR in work to send you out something... Or just ask for a letter from work showing your uk address! As for getting an overdraft... Youll be lucky!! Are you by anychance newly graduated from college?? If so a graduate account could be an option for an overdraft!

To help with your credit history you should join the register of electors in your locall area! Weirdly enough, youll be allowed to as an irish citizen and it helps to build it up!

You'll be allowed as a citizen of any EU country plus I imagine commonwealth too.
    The extra we get is the ability to vote in parliamentary elections and referenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You'll be offered an overdraft after a year or so of custom anyway.

I used Citi (not retail anymore) as soon as I had bills coming in (phone and gas) I moved to HSBC on a "proper" account. Not recommending HSBC above anyone else, in fact their keyfob is a pain in the hole but its easy to move accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

I have the Lloyds cash account and I can use the card back in Ireland. Pain though only being able to use the card at certain atms, but just get cash back when using the card in a shop. It's really the most hassle free to set up I found, one less thing to stress over when making the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Moved over here a couple of days ago.

Went into Lloyd's as it seems as if its the easiest from here. One bank said I needed to apply online but that's for UK residents and you need three years of crap. Another said I needed a job...I just have a rake if interviews. But the second bank did book me in for a meeting to set one up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I went with Barclays. It had a better offer than the cash account with Lloyds. You can use the ATM card in any machine, not just ones from that particular bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Easiest way of getting proof of address is changing the address of your existing Irish bank account to your UK address and then using that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

enda1 wrote: »
    You'll be allowed as a citizen of any EU country plus I imagine commonwealth too.
    The extra we get is the ability to vote in parliamentary elections and referenda.

EU citizens... Local elections
    Irish Citizens... Parliamentary elections
    UK Citizens... Referenda

Nomis21 wrote: »
    EU citizens... Local elections
    Irish Citizens... Parliamentary elections
    UK Citizens... Referenda

Wrong on the last point. Irish people (and other commonwealth citizens living in the UK) can vote even in referendums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

enda1 wrote: »
    Wrong on the last point. Irish people (and other commonwealth citizens living in the UK) can vote even in referendums.

Yes true, but note that UK citizens in Ireland cannot vote in Irish referenda.

Advertisement