Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some general info needed please

Options
  • 26-08-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭

I'm working on a home automation project at the moment as a bit of a side project.

I want to get some information so that I can spec some relays.

The items I will be controlling are:

The immersion
    Turn on off oil burner
    Hall lights 2x60watt bulbs
    2 external 50watt Led spotlights

Of these items , what size relays would I require?

At this stage I'm only trying to prove a concept and if I do for this to the house I'll be getting a qualified electrician into do the job so he'll be changing the relays if required.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm working on a home automation project at the moment as a bit of a side project.

I want to get some information so that I can spec some relays.
    Nice one. What type of a controller are you using? A PLC?
    The immersion

I am going to assume that your control voltage is 24VDC because this is what is generally used for PLCs. Therefore the coils of all of the relays should be rated for this.

Immersions are generally protected by a 20A MCB. If this is the case the relay should be rated for at least 20A.
    Turn on off oil burner

Assuming that this is protected by a 10A MCB the relay should be rated for 10A.
    Hall lights 2x60watt bulbs

As above.
    2 external 50watt Led spotlights

As above.
    At this stage I'm only trying to prove a concept and if I do for this to the house I'll be getting a qualified electrician into do the job so he'll be changing the relays if required.

If I were doing this I would:
    1) Build a panel to house all relays
    2) Use different colors for the control voltage.
    3) Provide din rail terminals for field wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thanks for the info. At the moment I'm toying around with a raspberry pi as this offers me inputs for feedback and outputs to control the relays. It also makes it easy to control the system remotely as a web interface is pretty easy setup and run as is a smartphone app. Plus they're a lot cheaper than a PLC....

My control voltage is something I'm working on at the moment. The pi outputs 3.3vdc but gets bogged down when a few of the outputs are high simultaneously so therefore I'm looking at building a 5vdc or 24vdc rail to switch on and off the relays ( 24vdc looking more likely at the moment )

I recently done a similar setup for a mate so that
    he could open/close his garage door and turn on off driveway lights from any internet device using a similar setup, but this only involved two devices being operated. In the future my plan is to see how far I can push the raspberry pi and the likes in regards to home automation.

Advertisement