Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone able to identify these aerials??

Options
  • 26-08-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Just been given these aerials but haven't a Scooby doo about them.not really clued into hobby radios.just have a little cb set up at home for fun
    So trying to figure out if these are going to be any good to me in the long run
    Aerials are 50cm long, excluding base/brackets
    Cable is 2 connect ions for aerials that link Into 1
    Any thing else ye need to know just ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Close up of aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

They are very similar to the G-Whip range of mobile HF antennae I used in the past.

not sure of radio lingo, :confused: but are they any use for cb's?
    or would i be best to try sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

To me they look like marine. The only way to be sure is to use an SWR bridge or antenna tester to see what frequency they are resonant on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

look marine to me too,

too short for CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Possibly too short to be DV27s (used for CB). Don't look like a Firestick CB antenna either. The plugs seem to be PL259s so they would be more HF/VHF antennas.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wiyldrover

Antennas do look like G whips as mentioned earlier, Split coax would appear to be phasing harness for stacking the two vertical antennas. Can only guess that this type of mobile setup may have been used on truck or boat. Stacking antennas would usually be done to improve gain. Easy way to establish frequency would be to get a loan of, or approach someone with antenna analyzer.

Had a feel feeling they were used on a truck.
    Im using a 4ft whip for the cb so its no good to me
    Is there any market for these?might as well try get something out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

not knowing what they are for will make the selling bit difficult. They definitely look like VHF antennas, somewhere in the mid-high end of the spectrum, marine fits the bill. Are there any signs of salt water residue?

You wouldn't put this on a truck, I'd say it's either for a base or boat. Maybe get in touch with IRTS technical panel, someone there should be able to help you determine the resonant frequency of these antennas - http://www.irts.ie/cgi/itech.cgi

martinsvi wrote: »
    not knowing what they are for will make the selling bit difficult. They definitely look like VHF antennas, somewhere in the mid-high end of the spectrum, marine fits the bill. Are there any signs of salt water residue?

You wouldn't put this on a truck, I'd say it's either for a base or boat. Maybe get in touch with IRTS technical panel, someone there should be able to help you determine the resonant frequency of these antennas - http://www.irts.ie/cgi/itech.cgi

No signs of salt water but an awful lot of oily residue on the aerials
    Is the thing with irts done thru swr readings?

• Advertisement

djflawless wrote: »
    No signs of salt water but an awful lot of oily residue on the aerials
    Is the thing with irts done thru swr readings?

oil might be there to prevent/remove corrosion/salt build up. I had a Sandpiper MV 5+3 Antenna in the garden for a year, when I decided to get rid of it, I couldn't loosen the elements so I sprayed joints with WD-40 to get them loose.

As for the IRTS, i'm hoping someone there should have an antenna analyser and enough enthusiasm to help you for no/small reward. Analysers usually do use SWR to determine the resonance

Will run it thru the cb and swr later on so just to see what its reading.

Just a bit off topic here but my jumper cable is a bit tattered.would I be as well to get a new one?

djflawless wrote: »
    Will run it thru the cb and swr later on so just to see what its reading.

Just a bit off topic here but my jumper cable is a bit tattered.would I be as well to get a new one?

I wouldn't do that, the risk of damaging the radio is too high. We have to assume that the antenna is way to short for CB and the SWR will be off the chart.

As for the jumper cable - what purpose does that serve and can we have pictures for assessment of the situation?

The length of coax to go from the swr to cb.I know there's probably a different name to it but I know it as a jumper cable.
    Will get up in attic and get it down for a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wiyldrover

Look up IRTS website and search call book for Radio Hams living in your area. Most hams are very approachable when the find your interest is in radio. Might be better option than trying tech panel as they would have to have antenna to determine resonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

The brackets appear to be for a truck side mirror.

Note the helical wire winding seen through the heatshrink.

I've never seen a coax phasing harness for Marine Band antennas.

My guess is CB or somewhere close to 27MHz

humaxf1 wrote: »
    The brackets appear to be for a truck side mirror.

think of what the wind load would to to a mirror with an antenna like that attached to it doing 90km/h. It's too heavy for car use, the surface area is just too big for fast speeds

If it is a helical (which I doubt, given the radiation pattern of such antenna) that winding and spacing will match something closer to 70MHz, not 27.. For 27 I expect it to be a lot tighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

martinsvi wrote: »
    think of what the wind load would to to a mirror with an antenna like that attached to it doing 90km/h. It's too heavy for car use, the surface area is just too big for fast speeds

If it is a helical (which I doubt, given the radiation pattern of such antenna) that winding and spacing will match something closer to 70MHz, not 27.. For 27 I expect it to be a lot tighter

Look at the bracket in the 2nd pic. Its looks like it's for mounting on a horizontal bar which is typical of a wing mirror mount for a truck. It does look to be helical, as pointed out.
    I also would have guessed at closer to 70 Mhz but that's purely a guess.

Link to mirror mounts
    http://www.cbradioshop.co.uk/cb-antenna-mounts-15-c.asp

Would a PIC of a part of the aerial where rubber coating is ripped be any bit of help??
    There's a spot where the copper wire is exposed
    Also would diameter be any use to ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Ive seen a cb antenna advertised thats only 34 cm. Its top loaded.
    Hard to tell if theres top loading on that antenna but if there is, it may be for cb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

you could always ask the bloke you got them from?

you could always ask the bloke you got them from?

If he knew I wouldn't be asking here :D
    He's a bit of a hoarder so he has no idea where he got them

Advertisement