Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPPR tax issue

Options
  • 26-08-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Need advice and help here.

Got a notice from council last week about paying nppr tax by 31st Aug or it will increase to €7,000 on 1st September. I dont own a second property. The reason i got this notice is because my Dad had strokes and could no longer use the stairs in his house, as i owned a cottage we decided to swap houses and that sorted the problem. We didn't change deeds or anything. He has since died and my mother 88 years is living in my house still and i am living in hers. We have never had rent from our properties.

When it came to paying property tax i thought the best thing to do was to pay for the house i own and Mam did the same so now the council have matched details with revenue and notice that i have two addresses.

I am really worried because i have no hope of getting €4,200 by Monday and in my heart i really dont think i should be paying this tax
    After i got the letter last week i rang the helpline and guy (appears to be a call centre in UK) said it was a tricky one and he really couldn't give me an answer and told me to email the council nppr dept which i did but apparently there is a delay on replying due to amount of emails they are getting and all i got was an automated reply.

Called citizens advice today and they were not sure if i was liable either and said there is a two week delay on council answering nppr queries. Going to call in to council in person tomorrow and see can i talk to anyone but really really worried about this tax that i knew nothing about in the first place. i vaguely remember years ago hearing about people with holiday homes having to pay a charge but thats as far as it goes.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

They covered this at length on Joe Duffy earlier. Might be worth listening back to the show on RTE's website to see if they got any info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It is a tricky one, as according to the letter of the law both you and your mam are liable for this charge, as you both had houses you werent living in. However this really is an exceptional case, and I would get onto my local TD if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 twigsahern

Thank you, i heard most of it and all the people on it never knew about this tax but did have a second property. Its the short time frame to appeal thats the peoblem and i didn't see anywhere on their website that there is an appeal process.

Thank you Mousetail. yes she didn't get a letter but its probably only a matter of time before she does. Good idea i will check out TD about this. So panicked about it all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Was that you on the news this evening? If so, well done you came across really well. If not have a look, near identical situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

One way around the OP is if the properties are within 2 km of each other and lived in by a family member who is not paying rent. If so there is an exemption for the charge.

Each party would have to claim it.

Yes mousetail that was me and my Mam.

Our houses are about 4 miles apart so think that's about 8kl??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

twigsahern wrote: »

when i saw you on the news i couldnt believe the situaiton your in. Contact your local councillers directly they are much more likely to get this resolved quickly for you.

whilst technically your both libel for this charge id be shocked if something wasnt dont to rectify such a unique situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Go in with a sliding tackle from behind bud, and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

twigsahern wrote: »

I hope common sense prevails here and the council understands your situation. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

The NPPR is a blunt instrument.

I would think that your parents are exempt under the exemptions:
    6. Where a person who owns a principal private residence vacates the dwelling in question because he or she is long-term incapacitated as a result of physical or mental illness.
    https://www.nppr.ie/faq.aspx#fk4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It could be construed that ye never changed deeds to avoid stamp duty etc???

TheDriver wrote: »
    It could be construed that ye never changed deeds to avoid stamp duty etc???

Very true

Advertisement