Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Residency Status

Options
  • 26-08-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey,

My permanent residency application has been sent in for months now but on the immigration site it just shows as "application received".

Will the next notice I receive be that it has been accepted/denyed or is there some other stage I should expect?

It has been at the status for 4 months. All documents have been submitted. I'm living in Montreal but applied through London rather than Internal which is meant to be a lot slower.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

A post on the thread at the top says it's delayed at the moment. Maybe have a read of that before creating a new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

I'm aware of the delay but that's not my question.

My question is in relation to the notification stages of the application.
    Mine is currently in "Application Received" and I just would like to know if I should expect other statuses before acceptance?

I have applied in the "Outside Canada" process rather than the "Inside Canada" process as it is meant to be quicker. I have met people in Immigration Canada who unofficially advised me to do it this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I stand corrected! I don't know if this is any good to you.

http://immig-canada.blogspot.ie/2010/11/famous-7-steps-of-canada-immigration.html

Thanks very much. That helps a bit. It fleshes out the process.

I've paid all the fees and the medical is already submitted.

More than likely the next notice I receive will be acceptance/denial. Its such a grey area of the process that its frustrating.
    Makes me worried that I might have missed something and there are complication's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You're going to have to do your medical again. They're only valid for 6 months, and your application won't be processed for another 8 if you're lucky. The next notification you get will be application in process (in about 8 months), followed by approved in principle which will get you your open work permit in another 1-2 months (assuming you applied for that at the same time), after that, you've another 8 months to wait until your actual PR is approved, that period is when you should've been doing the medical

*edit*

sorry, just to clarify, the above is only relevant if you submitted an inland application. I'm not familiar with the overseas application timelines - I believe they're a lot quicker for phase one, but up to 2 years for phase 2

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. I have already submitted the medical cert so everything should be done. My IEC visa expires on March 2015, hopefully i get my PR Card before then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You don't need PR before then, you've submitted your application which means that when your IEC expires you'll have implied acceptance on the same terms as your IEC. Which is a good thing, because you absolutely won't have PR by that stage. You should have it by March 2016 though

Re: The medical, I get that you've submitted it, but you're going to be asked to do another one because yours will no longer be valid when they process you (so you could've contracted a disease in that 12 month period, or had a bad about turn in your health). Happened with a guy my wife knows. He got a call to say he had to do another medical because, even though he'd submitted it properly, it was out of date when they started processing

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Permanent Residence

1. We received your application for permanent residence on June xx, 2013.

2. We started processing your application on June xx, 2014.

3. Medical results have been received.

4. A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

5. You entered Canada at the xxx office on August xx, 2014 and became a Permanent Resident.

Quebec Skilled worker.

Sent federal app to Sydney, NS where they pre-approve, i.e. check all the documents are there in May 2013.

Got an email in June stating they forwarded it to Ottawa for processing; that is line 1 in my status.

Around September I received an email to do the medical within 60 days. Did that, and had line 3 added within a week (was line 2 then).

Nothing from September 2013 until June 2014, when line 2 was added.

I got an email that week to re-submit a document as I had made a mistake, otherwise I would have gotten line 4 that week.

Nearly two months later, I got line 4 added, and about a week later I got the letter in the mail, and just needed to go to the border to activate.

I will add that August is a holiday period so I'd expect that Federal employees are not going through as many applications as they normally would during this period.

COYVB wrote: »
    You don't need PR before then, you've submitted your application which means that when your IEC expires you'll have implied acceptance on the same terms as your IEC. Which is a good thing, because you absolutely won't have PR by that stage. You should have it by March 2016 though

Re: The medical, I get that you've submitted it, but you're going to be asked to do another one because yours will no longer be valid when they process you (so you could've contracted a disease in that 12 month period, or had a bad about turn in your health). Happened with a guy my wife knows. He got a call to say he had to do another medical because, even though he'd submitted it properly, it was out of date when they started processing

OK, Thats depressing that I'll have to do the medical again. I had heard something about this when I applied but thought maybe I would be OK.

Thanks for the info. Seems like I have a long wait left. :(

Quebec Skilled worker.

Sent federal app to Sydney, NS where they pre-approve, i.e. check all the documents are there in May 2013.

Got an email in June stating they forwarded it to Ottawa for processing; that is line 1 in my status.

Around September I received an email to do the medical within 60 days. Did that, and had line 3 added within a week (was line 2 then).

Nothing from September 2013 until June 2014, when line 2 was added.

I got an email that week to re-submit a document as I had made a mistake, otherwise I would have gotten line 4 that week.

Nearly two months later, I got line 4 added, and about a week later I got the letter in the mail, and just needed to go to the border to activate.

I will add that August is a holiday period so I'd expect that Federal employees are not going through as many applications as they normally would during this period.

Wow, I really did not know the time-scales of this thing. I was thinking it would be done in 10 months or so. Obviously not. Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Wow, I really did not know the time-scales of this thing. I was thinking it would be done in 10 months or so. Obviously not. Thanks for the info.

Processing times for federal skilled worker applications

I think you said that you applied via London; currently they say it takes 27 months to process these. They say it's 25 months for Ottawa, but it took about half that time for mine. Each application is unique; I know several people who went through Ottawa and it took between 8 and 12 months.

OK, I'm being sponsored through my Quebecois Girlfriend. Current processing time is 11 months through London.

I've had Friends who took 5 months to get their PR but also know people which it took a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Here's how my timeline went;

Sent forms and status became "application received" on July 5th

Request to do medical Sept 5th

Status changed to "being processed" on Dec 11th. Medical Results were received.

Request for 2nd payment Jan 10th

Status changed to "decision made" May 26th

Received confirmation in post around July 13th

PR card came in the post 7 weeks after I crossed the border and got my PR activated

I hope this is helpful for anyone applying.
    p.s. I applied via the Ottawa office

Here's how my timeline went;

Sent forms and status became "application received" on July 5th

Request to do medical Sept 5th

Status changed to "being processed" on Dec 11th. Medical Results were received.

Request for 2nd payment Jan 10th

Status changed to "decision made" May 26th

Received confirmation in post around July 13th

PR card came in the post 7 weeks after I crossed the border and got my PR activated

I hope this is helpful for anyone applying.
    p.s. I applied via the Ottawa office

Thanks for the timeline. Hopefully I am not too far off the "Decision Made" stage.

Will keep an eye on the website.

Advertisement