Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Love Autumn And Winter!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Me too! It's my favourite time of year. September feels like a new beginning for me, far more so than the official New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Autumn ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I love Autumn. I love the yellow quality of the light both early morning and evening. I love the slight chill in the air. I love the sense that "Winter is Coming".

Then when winter comes, I love cold crisp days, I love winter clothes, boots, hot water bottles, winter food - stews, casseroles, roasts.... I love heavier covers on the bed and listening to rain outside.

I dont like the lack of daylight during the week and I dont like snow after a few days of it - but thats minor really.

I often find myself craving winter during the summer, but I never find myself craving summer during winter.

That's exactly how I feel about it Inthecloulds, except I don't mind the shorter days (tip: Get yourself a wake-up light alarm, it makes a difference to how you feel all day and makes getting up much easier).

The very best thing about it is listening to the rain on the window when you're nodding off to sleep. :)

Candie wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel about it Inthecloulds, except I don't mind the shorter days (tip: Get yourself a wake-up light alarm, it makes a difference to how you feel all day and makes getting up much easier).

The very best thing about it is listening to the rain on the window when you're nodding off to sleep. :)

Or if the wind is wild outside, the cosy feeling of being in bed.

• Advertisement

I don't mind the shorter days either. I do love the idea of a wake up light alarm. Must check out further.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I don't mind the shorter days either. I do love the idea of a wake up light alarm. Must check out further.

They're so good Lynn, they start to brighten slowly over 30 -45 minutes like a real sunrise, and apparently you release the right hormones as you would if you were waking naturally. I have so much more energy all day in the winters since I've used one, and just getting up is much easier. I'm a morning person generally, but winter mornings in the dark still used to really get to me.

They're a bit pricey, but I can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

They're so good Lynn, they start to brighten slowly over 30 -45 minutes like a real sunrise, and apparently you release the right hormones as you would if you were waking naturally. I have so much more energy all day in the winters since I've used one, and just getting up is much easier. I'm a morning person generally, but winter mornings in the dark still used to really get to me.

They're a bit pricey, but I can't recommend them enough.

Which one do you use, Candie? Do you think there'd be much difference between brands, or do they all do much the same thing? I've been feeling about 80 years old in the mornings

Which one do you use, Candie? Do you think there'd be much difference between brands, or do they all do much the same thing? I've been feeling about 80 years old in the mornings

I was the same. :) I have one by Lumia, I think I got it on an Amazon deal of the day, the one I had before that was a Philips one, both of them were the most basic models and the cheapest one (the Lumia) was about £45. So, pricey enough. They both do the basically same thing, gradually brighten so your body thinks it's waking naturally to a sunrise. Some models have loads of different sounds for the alarm, but I've only every used the birdsong sounds. Others have longer or more variable 'sunrises', some with more natural light changes, but I've never tried them.

Pricey as they are, the day the Philips one died I bought the Lumia within 30 minutes, because I wouldn't go back to the days of getting up in the pitch dark, all mentally foggy.

Well worth it Widders, I hope you find it as good as I do if you buy one. :)

Thanks for that Candie. I think it would really be a good idea for me to get one. Another reason to love Autumn and Winter coming right up. :D

• Advertisement

I was talking about the light alarms to my aunt after thinking of this thread when she mentioned the dark mornings, and apparently around september/october every year they have light-up alarms on offer in Aldi, my aunt bought one last year and she thinks it's great and it seems to have all the same functions as mine. It cost her about £20 stg last year, which would be a big saving on the branded one I have!

Just thought I'd let you both know so you can check if they come up on offer over the next few weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was talking about the light alarms to my aunt after thinking of this thread when she mentioned the dark mornings, and apparently around september/october every year they have light-up alarms on offer in Aldi, my aunt bought one last year and she thinks it's great and it seems to have all the same functions as mine. It cost her about £20 stg last year, which would be a big saving on the branded one I have!

Just thought I'd let you both know so you can check if they come up on offer over the next few weeks. :)

That's thoughtful, thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Mulled wine!
    Big gutsy stews and casseroles!
    Halloween!
    Snuggling up with a blanket on the sofa!

I'm the weirdo that loves Brussels sprouts so seeing those make me smile too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

tumblr_od3tthE9FJ1qiuiebo1_540.jpg

Lit my stove Sat & Sunday. Glorious.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think I'll have to go for a walk in a park at the weekend with plenty of leaves to kick about. The only thing is it's not really that cold yet so there might be no need to wrap up in a big scarf...or go for a hot chocolate afterwards :eek:

LynnGrace wrote: »

https://www.aldi.ie/sunrise-alarm-clock/p/093660056126600

Just spotted on another thread that Aldi will have the clocks tomorrow. Thanks to Candie for mentioning them upthread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Finally the weather is getting chilly and I can wear my winter boots, hat and gloves! (I've been wearing gloves for about two months already :D)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Like a carpet of rose petals. :)

400932.jpg

400933.jpg

400934.jpg

400935.jpg

400936.jpg

Cold and Dry - my kind of Weather!

And surprisingly good day for drying clothes too!

• Advertisement

It%E2%80%99s-the-simple-things-lefunny.net_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Images-of-Tall-Skinny-Christmas-Trees-Country-Style-227x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

gpnac82.jpg

Pleaseeee let it snow for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!:)

No love for Autumn in here this year? I suppose it has been an odd one, we're still getting fairly warm days and the strong winds have blown away load of the lovely leaves! I'm hoping for a nice Autumnal walk in the park with some sunshin and a crispness in the air this weekend. There is nothing nicer than being out in that kind of weather and warming up with a hot drink outdoors or getting indoors to get cost afterwards :)

Can we post some photos here?

432572.jpg

432573.jpg

432574.jpg

Unfortunately when I moved them from my phone to my computer (they were too big to post as they were) they lost some of their bright colours. I tried to fix them a bit, but they're not as nice. :o

I'll post a few more in a minute. :)

432575.jpg

432576.jpg

432577.jpg

432578.jpg

432579.jpg

Really lovely New Home. I went for a walk in the park at lunch time - lots of golden leaves on the ground! Sadly there us a walkway that would usually be covered in Autumn leaves but I think I waited too long, the trees are bare and there were only the dry goldy brown ones on the ground. We went for a drive yesterday though and saw lots of Autumnal trees in carious shades of gold and red and green :)

Did you get to walk through crunchy leaves? It's the best part! :)

I was sweeping them up the other day, and I loved the swooshing sound they made when there were lots of them piled together. :)

• Advertisement

I walked through a few but the park staff are doing a great job of clearing them up and keeping the footpaths clear so not too many :D

Advertisement