Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chihuahua and toddler

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

lukesmom wrote: »
    It was the last to be sold out of 8 pups.

Toy breeds like Chihuahuas don't even have litters that big. About 3 would be the usual.
    They must have had 2 litters at the same time ie usually a puppy farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Chihuahuas can be bad tempered little dogs, and don't particularly get on well in a family environment with small children. They also tend to be one person dogs, so could bond to you, rather than the children and this could lead to resource guarding trouble down the line. They might be small but they can do some damage with their needle sharp teeth. Did your neighbour have children in the house while the pups were whelping? Or was it just herself? If the pups haven't been exposed to children then it doesn't bode well for bonding with them in the future, particularly a 2yr old toddler who can't really understand right or wrong when it comes to behaviour around a puppy, or even a 4yr old who will have trouble reading the pups body language when it's warning that it's uncomfortable.

I have a Chihuahua and to be honest - she is the most sweet natured dog I've ever been around. She had no previous exposure to kids and she has been terrific. I feel bad for her because she is definitely not getting the attention she used to but she has become protective of my lo. When someone she doesnt know comes to the house and picks up the baby she gets quite agitated.

I too am a little scared that my 9 month old will hurt her as she only weighs 5 lbs and is no match for a 26lb bruiser of a baby!!!

I am very cautious of them together - my baby us obsessed with her though and crawls around after her and giggles at her but I know if he reached out to grab her he could unwittingly break her leg. I don't leave them unsupervised together ever and I will be getting a playpen now that my lo is more mobile mainly for the dogs protection tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Magenta wrote: »
    Toy breeds like Chihuahuas don't even have litters that big. About 3 would be the usual.
    They must have had 2 litters at the same time ie usually a puppy farm.

God I'm so naive. She told me our pup had his first shots but needed a booster . She gave me a brush and shampoo. She had a few small kids there too. She met me at her gate with the dog as she knew I was on the way . I didn't get the pup from an ad, the breeder is a neighbour of a friend of mine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

God I'm so naive. She told me our pup had his first shots but needed a booster . She gave me a brush and shampoo. She had a few small kids there too. She met me at her gate with the dog as she knew I was on the way . I didn't get the pup from an ad, the breeder is a neighbour of a friend of mine .

If the breeder is a neighbour then it should be pretty easy to return the pup?

Maybe this would be best all round, if you cannot supervise 100% (which im sure any person even with the best intentions cant) then its only fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did she give you the vaccination card, showing that the pup had indeed had its first shots? Did you not get into the house at all? Just took the dog at the gate? Parents are probably living in a shed out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did she give you the vaccination card, showing that the pup had indeed had its first shots? Did you not get into the house at all? Just took the dog at the gate? Parents are probably living in a shed out the back.

No vaccination card she couldn't find it at the time. Didn't get into the house no just took it at the gate. When I read back what I've just said it sounds very dodgy! would hope the parents are being treated properly. It's not my neighbour it's a friends neighbour but only about 5 minutes away by car from where I live. I will add that she was a traveller and I'm not discriminating saying this , it's just something I noticed when I got the pup last week. I have looked it up and it seems like chihuahuas only have a few pups. I'd like to know know she got 8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No vaccination card she couldn't find it at the time. Didn't get into the house no just took it at the gate. When I read back what I've just said it sounds very dodgy! would hope the parents are being treated properly. It's not my neighbour it's a friends neighbour but only about 5 minutes away by car from where I live. I will add that she was a traveller and I'm not discriminating saying this , it's just something I noticed when I got the pup last week. I have looked it up and it seems like chihuahuas only have a few pups. I'd like to know know she got 8!

It is probably a small-scale puppy farm. She may have several bitches in a shed out the back. 'Can't find the vaccination card' means there is no vaccination card, it's right up there with 'the IKC registration card is in the post' for lies unscrupulous breeders tell. Have you wormed and had the pup to the vet yet? I don't want to scare you but if they were raised in unsanitary conditions the pup could be carrying all types of nasties that could potentially be passed on to your kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You need to take the pup to the vet and get its vaccinations started asap. I'd think that the parents were probably unvaccinated as well, so the pup is completely unprotected. Worming is very important as well, especially with small children in the house.

Advertisement