Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know how to rehydrate sundried tomatoes?

• 26-08-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Someone gave me a couple bags of sundried tomatoes and I've no idea on how to rehydrate them. Anyone done this before?

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Larry Bee wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Someone gave me a couple bags of sundried tomatoes and I've no idea on how to rehydrate them. Anyone done this before?

Thanks
    John
    Usually they are used as they are because they give a punchy flavour
    Rehydration usually involves soaking in a little water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, soak in water - hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if i'm using them to add to a pasta dish, i usually just chop them up dry and allow for them to add a bit of soakage in the cooking juices.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Larry Bee

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to rehydrate them, and put them in a little olive oil, garlic & herbs to have with salads etc. But I tried soaking them in cold water and it didn't work out. I'll try boiling water next time.

What other of recipes can I use them with?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i usually just put them into anything i would normally put tomato paste into, justy to give it a richer flavour. always just finely chop (dried) and drop in with everything else so they soak up the juices on their own.

its usually bolognese, or lasagne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Used to do this for work ,and was told how by someone who does vast quantities for sale..
    Cover with boiling water , leave for 30 mins, drain ,repeat, now dress with olive oil ,garlic and a bit of basil ...
    The soaking gets the excess salt out as well as plumping them up ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement