If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for speakers, please?

Options
  • 26-08-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

My elderly mother is very, very hard of hearing.  Consequently, she has a Yamaha natural sound av receiver rx-367 hooked up to her Samsung tv. So far, over three/four years she had blown two sets of Yamaha speakers and just now has blown a set of Jamo speakers too.    I would like a quote for speakers please, with a budget maximum of 400 Euro.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

mac36 wrote: »
    My elderly mother is very, very hard of hearing.  Consequently, she has a Yamaha natural sound av receiver rx-367 hooked up to her Samsung tv. So far, over three/four years she had blown two sets of Yamaha speakers and just now has blown a set of Jamo speakers too.    I would like a quote for speakers please, with a budget maximum of 400 Euro.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Mac,

Thanks for getting in touch.

How about the Monitor Audio BX2s.  We use them here in the shop and have never had any issues when driving them at high enough volumes.  Now if they're being driven to the point where the speaker is distorting then you may have issues.  But from what I've heard they can handle themselves well.  

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/monitor-audio/bronze-bx2/moni-audio-bx2-blk

These would come in at €324.60.  The other good point about these is that the drivers etc are very easily fixed.  If a driver is blown we can order one in for you and fit it if needs be.  They're not overly expensive either.  

Let me know what you think.

Chrisc

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mac36

Hi Chrisc

Thanks for your reply. In the past she has had surround sound speakers, how do these compare please? Really its volume she requires rather than surround sound effects? Apologies if this is a silly question I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge in this area. Also how much for delivery, please?

Thanks again

Mac

Oh and sorry one other question do these speakers come with all the connections/wiring I would need to connect them to the receiver?If not could you recommend what I should purchase?

Thanks

Mac

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Oh and sorry one other question do these speakers come with all the connections/wiring I would need to connect them to the receiver?If not could you recommend what I should purchase?

Thanks

Mac
    Mac,

thanks for the posts and its great to hear that you are getting your Mum some decent kit! I'd agree with Chris' advice about the BX2 - they are an excellent speaker and they would be well matched to the RXV367 - the BX2 are a full range speaker, not a surround speaker - have a look at them here: http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-bx2/review

A few pointers that may help - make sure you mum is listening to the output in 'Stereo Direct/ straight' function - not via some of the Yamaha surround effects - this will ensure the easiest to discern audio for your Mum.

The BX2 are available in a variety of finishes as well including Black Oak, Walnut, and Natural Oak - they don't come including cables - but if you wanted say 6 metres of a decent cable we would include this free of charge for you to get you up and running.

If you wanted to go for this or of course if we can assist in any way please don't hesitate to drop us a PM or a mail to sales@richersounds.ie with your contact details and we will get one of the guys onto you to assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew  

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John for your advice and also your kind offer to include the necessary speaker wire. Have sent an email.

Regards

Mac

• Advertisement

Hi folks

A slightly overdue thank you to all at Richer Sounds for your advice and help.  Great service and speedy delivery too.  Thanks so much to you all.  One very happy customer.

Mac

Hi folks

A slightly overdue thank you to all at Richer Sounds for your advice and help.  Great service and speedy delivery too.  Thanks so much to you all.  One very happy customer.

Mac
    Mac36,

many many thanks for taking the time to post :),

Hope the new speakers are helping your Mum out and making TV more enjoyable for her,

Many thanks again for the post and of course for the business - its much appreciated,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Mac,

How about the Monitor Audio BX2s.  We use them here in the shop and have never had any issues when driving them at high enough volumes.  Now if they're being driven to the point where the speaker is distorting then you may have issues.  But from what I've heard they can handle themselves well.  

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/monitor-audio/bronze-bx2/moni-audio-bx2-blk

These would come in at €324.60.  The other good point about these is that the drivers etc are very easily fixed.  If a driver is blown we can order one in for you and fit it if needs be.  They're not overly expensive either.  

Chrisc

Hi Folks,

Mum has been enjoying great sound on her speakers since she got them.  However, I think one of them has blown this evening.  Can you advise re having it repaired please?

Thanks in advance

Mac

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi Mac,

Chrisc

Hi Folks,

Mum has been enjoying great sound on her speakers since she got them.  However, I think one of them has blown this evening.  Can you advise re having it repaired please?

Thanks in advance

Mac
    HI Mac, is it the main drive unit or tweeter gone do you know? if you want us to repair we would need you to ship it up to us in Belfast, but if you knew the model/part number of the drive unit, we could arrange and get a replacement drive unit posted down to you, if you were handy enough to swap it over?

Cheers
    Brian

Hi Mac,

Chrisc

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance

Mac
    HI Mac, is it the main drive unit or tweeter gone do you know? if you want us to repair we would need you to ship it up to us in Belfast, but if you knew the model/part number of the drive unit, we could arrange and get a replacement drive unit posted down to you, if you were handy enough to swap it over?

Cheers
    Brian

• Advertisement

Hi Brian

Tx so much for getting back to me. I'm afraid I'd be fairly useless on these things and the next sentence will probably prove that beyond any doubt. 😀 Basically one of the speakers has a very distorted sound. Is it a tricky job to repair these speakers? If you think it might be beyond me what's your advice on the best/quickest way for me to get it to you and also the expected turn around time and cost for repair?

I'm a bit worried that the remaining speaker will go the same way as it's operating alone now. 😊

Regards

Mac

Hi Brian

Tx so much for getting back to me. I'm afraid I'd be fairly useless on these things and the next sentence will probably prove that beyond any doubt. 😀 Basically one of the speakers has a very distorted sound. Is it a tricky job to repair these speakers? If you think it might be beyond me what's your advice on the best/quickest way for me to get it to you and also the expected turn around time and cost for repair?

I'm a bit worried that the remaining speaker will go the same way as it's operating alone now.  ðŸ˜Š

Regards

Mac
    oN the back there is a single allen key bolt, which releases the drive unit. once that is released there are 2 spade connectors on the speaker wires which would just pull off, and then slide on to the new unit, and screw in the bolt again making sure the drive unit is seated properly.
    Only thing to make sure is that the red and black are connected to the same terminals on the new one.

I'll check price of the drive unit and shipping and let you know shortly

Cheers
    Brian

Hi Brian

I'm a bit worried that the remaining speaker will go the same way as it's operating alone now.  ðŸ˜Š

Regards

Mac
    oN the back there is a single allen key bolt, which releases the drive unit. once that is released there are 2 spade connectors on the speaker wires which would just pull off, and then slide on to the new unit, and screw in the bolt again making sure the drive unit is seated properly.
    Only thing to make sure is that the red and black are connected to the same terminals on the new one.

I'll check price of the drive unit and shipping and let you know shortly

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Brian

I was wondering if you have any update on this please? Second speaker now "blown" so will need two. 

Thanks and regards

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Something is not right here. I have had the same speakers for 18 years, purchased from richer sounds Dublin, plugged into lots of different amps, at parties and so on. Speakers should not blow so easy. I have blown amps but not speakers. No expert or anything

parttime wrote: »
    Something is not right here. I have had the same speakers for 18 years, purchased from richer sounds Dublin, plugged into lots of different amps, at parties and so on. Speakers should not blow so easy. I have blown amps but not speakers. No expert or anything
    Hi parttime honestly I wouldn't know much about these things. I don't know if the fact that the speakers are on a high level pretty much every day could be the reason?

Regards

Mac

parttime wrote: »
    Hi parttime honestly I wouldn't know much about these things. I don't know if the fact that the speakers are on a high level pretty much every day could be the reason?

Regards

Mac
    HI Mac, apologies I was off yesterday, and will chase up the prices for parts for you.

Is she still using the Yamaha RX367? Looking into a bit more detail for you, the Yamaha is actually capable of running up to 150w per channel depending if run in stereo/5 channel etc, and the speakers are rated for amps up to 100wpc. Depending what way it is connected and if run in stereo etc, if they are constantly run at high volumes, this could be the problem. 
    Does she need to use a surround amplifer, or is it just the pair of speakers she is running? To be honest, my thoughts would be to get a Hifi stereo amplifier of around 70-90 wpc, or change the speakers to something with a higher rating

Amps - Yamaha AS301 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200898-as301.aspx - €269 
    or a Cambridge audio SR10 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11219-topaz-sr10.aspx at €329

Speakers - Cambridge Aero 2 are rated 120 wpc - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200353-aero-2-walnut.aspx at €349 or otherwise you would need to go into floorstanding speakers - http://euro.richersounds.ie/prodcompare.aspx?pid1=200359&pid2=12716

Cheers
    Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for coming back to me.  Lots there to think about.  Basically if I understand you correctly, the amplifier is too powerful for the speakers we have?  We still have the Yamaha RX367.  So my choices are to get a less powerful amp or more powerful speakers? 

I think when I know what the price of the parts for the current speakers are I will make my decision, if that's ok? 

Thanks again for all your help, advice and patience!

Regards

Mac

Hi Brian,

Thanks for coming back to me.  Lots there to think about.  Basically if I understand you correctly, the amplifier is too powerful for the speakers we have?  We still have the Yamaha RX367.  So my choices are to get a less powerful amp or more powerful speakers? 

I think when I know what the price of the parts for the current speakers are I will make my decision, if that's ok? 

Regards

Mac
    Hi Mac36.

No problem at all.

Just a little question.
    Did it take just over one month for the speakers to blow? By loud volume everyday day, how far would the volume knob be turned, more than half or three quarters?

Working here for 11 years it does take a bit of driving to blow a speaker. The BX2 speakers are capable of taking a good bashing! Over the years I have heard many a set driven within an inch of their lives and didn't give up.

Have you checked that there were no shorts within the cable or any of the copper strands touching?

Hi Brian,

Regards

Mac
    Hi Mac36.

No problem at all.

Just a little question.
    Did it take just over one month for the speakers to blow? By loud volume everyday day, how far would the volume knob be turned, more than half or three quarters?

Working here for 11 years it does take a bit of driving to blow a speaker. The BX2 speakers are capable of taking a good bashing! Over the years I have heard many a set driven within an inch of their lives and didn't give up.

Have you checked that there were no shorts within the cable or any of the copper strands touching?
    Hi Kenny,

The speakers are just over a year old.  The amplifier would usually be up at minus 6 or 7, if that helps?  The cables look to be ok from what I can see?

Thanks and regards

Kathleen

Kathleen,

apologies for butting in but I'm a little concerned at what's happening here as well and to be fair to both the components you are using they are both decent quality and fairly well matched and you should not be going through this many speakers unless either they really are being overdriven or else if there is an issue with a component somewhere in the system.

The most obvious reason is of course that they are being driven too hard - however if the system is driven really loud most Customers think that the easiest route is to get an amplifier rated less powerful than the speakers - ie an Amp rated at 50Watts into 8 Ohms will never be able to blow a speaker rated at 150watts?? - that's the conventional wisdom but if the system is driven hard its completely incorrect...

You are far better off using an amplifier that is OVER rated for the speakers - ie if you use a 150 watt amp with 100 watt speakers your amplifier is far less likely to produce distortion than a smaller amplifier - and its this distortion that actually damages the speakers - if you would like to relate it to 2 cars, one 1000cc and one 3000cc - both are capable of doing 120mph but at 110mph the 1000cc car is really under pressure and over a prolonged period will start to over heat, whilst the 3000cc car is really comfortable for long periods at 110mph - Amps are exactly the same - and its essentially the distortion / heat produced that will damage the speaker.

I would either go 2 ways, get the Monitor Audio's repaired and as Brian suggested get a decent quality STEREO amp ( unless you need surround of course!)  maybe like the Yamaha AS501 http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200899-as501.aspx and that will produce clean reliable power or alternatively go down a notch in 'hifi audio' quality and replace the speakers with something lower fi but designed to be abused like the JBL Control 1  http://www.richersounds.ie/p-910068-control-1.aspx or the Monitor Audio Audio Climate 60 http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11386-climate-60.aspxwhich are (fairly) bulletproof!

Apologies for being so long winded and keep us posted on how you get on,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Hi John and thanks for your contribution. All opinions and advice welcomed. 😊

My gut feeling is to get the current speakers repaired but will make a decision on that when I know the cost. Surround sound is not an issue so I may go with the stereo amp you have recommended. Any idea on the parts price yet?

Thanks again

Mac

Hi John and thanks for your contribution.  All opinions and advice welcomed. 😊

My gut feeling is to get the current speakers repaired but will make a decision on that when I know the cost. Surround sound is not an issue so I may go with the stereo amp you have recommended. Any idea on the parts price yet?

Thanks again

Mac
    HI Mac, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. The drive units are €80 RRP each. If you want us just to ship a pair down to you, I could do it for you at €149 for the pair inc shipping

Regards
    Brian

Hi Brian

No worries and thanks for that info. I think I will go with the repair of the speakers and also get the stereo amp from you guys. Will email sales for a quote for these and also for a set of surround speakers for my soon to be inherited yamaha 367.

Thanks and regards

Mac

Hi Brian

No worries and thanks for that info. I think I will go with the repair of the speakers and also get the stereo amp from you guys. Will email sales for a quote for these and also for a set of surround speakers for my soon to be inherited yamaha 367.

Thanks and regards

Mac
    thanks, have your email, will reply shortly

Brian

Hi guys

Was hoping to get this sorted today? Sent an email with my contact details yesterday. ..

Thanks and regards

Mac

Hi guys

Was hoping to get this sorted today? Sent an email with my contact details yesterday. ..

Thanks and regards

Mac
    Hi Mac36.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you this morning.

Brian has now taken you order and we will have it processed ASAP.

Thanks.

Hi Kenny & Brian

Many thanks for all your help. 😊

Regards

Mac

Hi Kenny & Brian

Many thanks for all your help.  ðŸ˜Š

Regards

Mac
    No problem at all Mac.

If you have any questions once you get all the items just drop us a post or an email.

Thanks again for you order :D

Hi folks, sincere thanks. Amp and speakers arrived as promised last Friday. All set up and great sound. Any idea when the drivers for Mams speakers might be in?

Cheers

Mac

• Advertisement

Hi folks, sincere thanks.  Amp and speakers arrived as promised last Friday. All set up and great sound. Any idea when the drivers for Mams speakers might be in?

Cheers

Mac
    Hi Mac36.

Glad that you are up and running.

I'll need to have a little check on the MA drivers. Normal lead time is 2/3 weeks depending when our next delivery from them woul dbe.
    I see if I can get an ETA for you.

In the mean time any questions please let me know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.