Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MK Dons vs Man United - SS1 8:00PM

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Van Gaal looking like a broken man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Apologies. Evans, Anderson, Young, Nani, Welbeck, Fletcher, Cleverley, etc. - no problems there, all top players obviously.

All league winners. Some/most are multiple league winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shane. wrote: »
    Comments here are hilarious, you would think utd had the full first team actually playing....

They obviously should have done - this should have been an opportunity to build some confidence and cohesion, instead it just compounds the misery from the other 2 games this season. Real mistake from the manager.

Also, this really should have been a cup United should have pushed for - it's pretty easy to win if you take it seriously for a club of ManU's stature.

In what is obviously going to be a transitional year, it would have been very helpful in rebuilding the "United Win Trophies" mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Van Gaal looking like a broken man.

lol I think you may be seeing what you want to see there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They obviously should have done - this should have been an opportunity to build some confidence and cohesion, instead it just compounds the misery from the other 2 games this season. Real mistake from the manager.

Also, this really should have been a cup United should have pushed for - it's pretty easy to win if you take it seriously for a club of ManU's stature.

In what is obviously going to be a transitional year, it would have been very helpful in rebuilding the "United Win Trophies" mentality.

We have a bucket load of injuries

These players need to be tried to see what they have in a tough match (I dont mean the opposition talent level, I mean they will be up for it and they will put it up to them)

If you cant use these games to rest your top names when can you rest them? Remembering how tight the squad is through injury already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Is van gaal starting to look old yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I was a Wimbledon fan since the 80's and since their demise I stuck with the re-brand as Mk Dons because there realistically was no other way for the club to survive (and I'm not here for that old debate again).

Tonight, as a Dons fan was just incredible. I thought there was a possibility of a win considering the team Utd. were likely to field but a result like this has left me speechless.

It cannot be said that it was a lucky result in any way shape or form. MK Dons played good attractive football when they had possession, keeping the ball on the ground for large parts of the game showing composure and no fear of the opposition. They did themselves and their fans proud.

They defended bravely and they clearly wanted a clean sheet once it became clear the win was in the bag.

Three of the goals were excellent, the first was a little lucky but well finished.

My only disappointment was in that in the post match interview, Van Gall gave no credit, congratulations or compliments to MK Dons and spoke only about his own teams errors. That was an arrogant and disrespectful interview IMO.

There is potential for this club to do a lot more than they have so far given the facilities they have built thanks to Pete Winkleman. If they can break through into the Championship, the bigger crowds will help no end.

I'm sure there were plenty of Utd. fans there tonight who reside in MK. Hopefully having seen tonight's performance, they might now start turning up more often on a Saturday.

To sum up, great performance, an historic day for the club and I couldn't be happier for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I was a Wimbledon fan since the 80's and since their demise I stuck with the re-brand as Mk Dons because there realistically was no other way for the club to survive (and I'm not here for that old debate again).

Tonight, as a Dons fan was just incredible. I thought there was a possibility of a win considering the team Utd. were likely to field but a result like this has left me speechless.

It cannot be said that it was a lucky result in any way shape or form. MK Dons played good attractive football when they had possession, keeping the ball on the ground for large parts of the game showing composure and no fear of the opposition. They did themselves and their fans proud.

They defended bravely and they clearly wanted a clean sheet once it became clear the win was in the bag.

Three of the goals were excellent, the first was a little lucky but well finished.

My only disappointment was in that in the post match interview, Van Gall gave no credit, congratulations or compliments to MK Dons and spoke only about his own teams errors. That was an arrogant and disrespectful interview IMO.

There is potential for this club to do a lot more than they have so far given the facilities they have built thanks to Pete Winkleman. If they can break through into the Championship, the bigger crowds will help no end.

I'm sure there were plenty of Utd. fans there tonight who reside in MK. Hopefully having seen tonight's performance, they might now start turning up more often on a Saturday.

To sum up, great performance, an historic day for the club and I couldn't be happier for them.

Dons deserved it no doubts, our reserve team should have been up to that level so no excuses, Dons were first to every ball and just wanted it more, simple!

Better team won and good luck for the rest of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Sweet mother of Jesus I just saw the result. Maybe moyes wasn't the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lol man u :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Congrats to MK dons, massive victory for them. At the end of the day, its only league cup, nobody really gives a fuc about it,this will be forgotten in 2 weeks by all fans except mk dons. One less distraction for united in their pursuit of the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I feel a bit sorry for them to be honest. It's like watching the guy you never liked in school turn into a heroin addict sucking off old fellas down a laneway for a few euro to get a fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Despise United, but I have to say, tonight is the first time when I've felt a tiny shred of pity for their fans. United are basically Liverpool after Benitez got sacked. It wasn't until we got Rodgers in, we had someone who recognized the problems and he took action. Like Rodgers, I think LVG (if he is the right man) needs to be given support to basically get rid of half the squad.
    In a perfect world Anderson, Young, Cleverly, Fellaini, Fletcher (always liked him but his illness has ruined him at the top level) and Valencia would be out the door by the end of the week, with Smalling, Kagawa, Welbeck, Hernandez (good off the bench, atrocious as a starter) and possibly Phil Jones/Rafael on the bubble next summer if they don't perform, plus Carrick and van Persie being eased out over the next two years with age.

Sadly, I don't see that happening... Valencia even (inexplicably) got himself a new contract over the summer while Fletcher has been made vice captain. Also not too happy with Rooney as captain but that is a different matter.

LVG has proven he can win, and built great sides (and entire infrastructures) wherever he has gone though, so I do think it's a bit rich that some Man Utd fans who claimed Moyes as hard done by and deserved another full season (wouldn't you have loved that! :D ) are jumping on LVG so soon. It's going to be an interesting season, put it that way...

I don't remember the interview too well since I was still in a bit of a fuzzy daze at the time, but he definitely did at least credit Karl Robinson (or was it James Corden?) on his tactical set up and substitutes to react to our changes.

Awful result for us, but gotta say I'm delighted for ya at the same time, must be VERY satisfying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

As **** as it was for United, I bet the MK Dons Wags will be walking like John Wayne for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I have it on good authority that Giggsy got back on the bus with the rest of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

niallo27 wrote: »
    Sweet mother of Jesus I just saw the result. Maybe moyes wasn't the problem.

No, there were 11 other problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

niallo27 wrote: »
    I feel a bit sorry for them to be honest. It's like watching the guy you never liked in school turn into a heroin addict sucking off old fellas down a laneway for a few euro to get a fix.

for those of us that go back a few years, this is nearly as good as Liverpool after the 1980s.

Michael Thomas in 1989 will never be forgotten, hopefully someone like Benik Afobe will create the same lasting memory about Utd's demise.

Liverpool just about won the league in 1991 but have never been the same since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Godge wrote: »
    for those of us that go back a few years, this is nearly as good as Liverpool after the 1980s.

Michael Thomas in 1989 will never be forgotten, hopefully someone like Benik Afobe will create the same lasting memory about Utd's demise.

Liverpool just about won the league in 1991 but have never been the same since.

hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Last checked the result at 1-0 and went to bed. I got a text off an angry United fan but I just shrugged it off and drifted off....and then I saw the result this morning. As I said last Sunday, these players don't seem to give a bollox anymore, "reserve" team or not that team was full of vastly experienced players. There's no excuse for that kind of effort, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Things I've learned from the match:

- Kawaga isn't God's gift to play makers, there's a reason why manager number 3 doesn't rate him.

- Janacuzy isn't the second coming of Jesus, players in his age group like Sterling are much better than him

- Evans is terrible

- Welbeck isn't better than Sturridge, in fact he is also terrible

- lvg has a lot of question marks over his head, his performance thus far is a lot worse than what Moyes ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Alonso77 wrote: »
    hmmmm.

Oh sweet jesus, I hope you weren't quoting an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Oranage2 wrote: »

- Kawaga isn't God's gift to play makers, there's a reason why manager number 3 doesn't rate him.

- Janacuzy isn't the second coming of Jesus, players in his age group like Sterling are much better than him

- Evans is terrible

- lvg has a lot of question marks over his head, his performance thus far is a lot worse than what Moyes ever did.

I have to ask, is this a joke post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ignoring the last point there's not a whole lot wrong with what was said.

Kagawa has been deemed not good enough by 3 managers

Players like Sterling and Chamberlain are miles ahead of Januzjai

Sturridge is verging on world class, Welbeck is currently a midtable striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

rob316 wrote: »
    Ignoring the last point there's not a whole lot wrong with what was said.

Kagawa has been deemed not good enough by 3 managers

Players like Sterling and Chamberlain are miles ahead of Januzjai

Sturridge is verging on world class, Welbeck is currently a midtable striker.

He can't seriously be basing that on this match alone though?

I agree that Sterling and Chamberlain are better than Januzaj and that Sturridge is a much better player than Welbeck. But these are conclusions I have came to over the last 12 months, not based on one match.

Kagawa is an awkward one because he was fantastic before he signed for United, a move which has seriously hampered his career.
    Oranage2 wrote: »

- Evans is terrible

You can't seriously be writing off Kagawa based on watching him play for 20 minutes in a League Cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I never joke about football, that assessment was based over a period of time, but it did verify my conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He can't seriously be basing that on this match alone though?

I agree that Sterling and Chamberlain are better than Januzaj and that Sturridge is a much better player than Welbeck. But these are conclusions I have came to over the last 12 months, not based on one match.

Kagawa is an awkward one because he was fantastic before he signed for United, a move which has seriously hampered his career.

You can't seriously be writing off Kagawa based on watching him play for 20 minutes in a League Cup game.

He clearly qualified his statement by saying that three managers in a row haven't had much time for Kagawa. I think that is something people have to take on board.

Look at his performances in the World Cup and you'll see why he hasn't been picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

eagle eye wrote: »
    He clearly qualified his statement by saying that three managers in a row haven't had much time for Kagawa. I think that is something people have to take on board.

Look at his performances in the World Cup and you'll see why he hasn't been picked.

You think Fergie didn't have time for Kagawa? Just bought him and dropped Rooney for him in the biggest game of the season. Yeah, but keep repeating the crap. I'd say if Moyes could go back he'd have played him a lot more too considering he was first choice and probably one of United's best players in the final quarter of last season.

Januzaj is one I agree with. Aside from a good ability to beat players with good ball control I don't really rate his technique and he hasn't really developed a football brain. Still plenty of time for him.

Welbeck has been the best player on the pitch against Real Madrid and Bayern Munich the last 2 seasons, he has never gotten a good run in the team to show how good he can be. Last season he got a semi decent run of games up front and had a very good goal to game ratio. So go figure.

Evans is a fine defender, he'd been injured before this game and up against players with a lot more match fitness than him. Obviously an improvement is needed but he holds himself to good standards I think and will be up to speed soon.

Obviously not all of these are based towards the quoted post, people shouldn't judge United players after a 4-0 loss to the MK Dons. If you played it 100 times more it'd never be that score again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whatever Kagawa was is a long time ago now. What he is now is useless from a Utd perspective. Offers nothing, should be offloaded. You'll always have the hype when he was bought though. #neverforget

He needs to get out of Utd for the sake of his own career for a start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I remember "he's much better than hazard and cheaper as well"

maybe if he had been played in his best position

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Whatever Kagawa was is a long time ago now. What he is now is useless from a Utd perspective. Offers nothing, should be offloaded. You'll always have the hype when he was bought though. #neverforget
    I'm taking it you didn't notice the difference in this game before and after Kagawa went off, no?

I remember "he's much better than hazard and cheaper as well"

maybe if he had been played in his best position
    Nah, Hazard is fantastic. But this shows perhaps THE big issue with Kagawa, which is that he is extremely system dependent and also needs players around him to be on the same wavelength, he's more like Ozil than Hazard in that regard I reckon. Not exactly holding my breath but I would love to see him get a run of games in a '3' with Mara and Di Maria, behind Rooney or RVP though, if he is still here come September 2nd.

Advertisement