Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kitten Need Advice

• 26-08-2014 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, unfortunately our poor cat Miley past away several months ago.
    Yesterday we adopted a new kitten and this will be our first time owning a kitten as we had Miley from 1 years old.
    So I have a few questions:

We are wondering what is the best quality food to bring Toby (4 months old) up on without breaking the bank. Should we give him wet and dry or just dry? How often should I leave out food for him? At the moment I keep topping up food and water throughout the day so he can eat as he pleases. Also should I completely avoid giving him any human food or are there any that would be beneficial for him?

What is a good litter suitable for kittens?

I need to get him microchiped so I will be making a trip to the vet in the coming weeks, should I ask the vet to give him a check up while im there or would I be wasting my money?

Is he too young to put a collar/tag on him? I wouldn't want it to be uncomfortable/heavy. He will be kept indoors anyway.

Where is the best place to get pet insurance?

So far he seems perfectly healthy, he is eating, drinking, using his litter tray, playing with toys, sleeping and full of fun!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Congratulations on the new arrival. We fed our foster kitten on both wet and dry food. We left a bowl of dry food, either Royal Canin Kitten or Applaws kitten, both are 16.99 for a 2kg bag on Zooplus.ie down for her to eat when she wanted and gave her small amounts of wet food throughout the day.

We used Cats best Oko Plus litter, it's a plant based material, light weight and can be flushed or composted as well as binned. You might as well get a checkup at the vets while getting the microchip, just to be safe. They'll give you advice on worm and flea treatments. We have our cats insured with Allianz. When we make a claim we just have to sign the form from our vets and the vet submits the claim to Allianz. We pay the first 100 euro of any claim. Some insurers insist on you paying the whole fee and then claiming from them.

Zooplus are great for all things pet related.

Advertisement